Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 12:38 PM
RE: Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions
It is a little tricky, but overall it makes "sense".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Ok, now i got it, but the thing started a bit unlucky.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
03-10-2012, 12:41 PM
(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  Below is a post I made in ChristianForums.com; I would like to know what atheists think of what I said. You know I'm not going to get a discussion there on it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl over here.

Here goes:

Spiritlight;61497718 Wrote:Mutual respect for each others beliefs is the beginning of understanding. Logic has its place but is not all there is. Intuition is as relevant as logic. Just because intuition is not as easily replicated as logical anlasys does not discount its importance as tool for finding God.

My first thought is... how did Spiritlight know my Aussie phone number?

Second thought... Is Spiritlight like Diet Spirit? i.e. slightly less spiritual than others on that forum?

Third thought... damn I'm tired. In shouldn't be trying to type at 2:30am.

Fourth thought... I do not agree that we should have mutual respect for each others beliefs. For each other? Yes. But not for beliefs if they are just plain stooopid.

(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  Well stated, but in my opinion wholly incorrect. Intuition leads to belief, but it doesn't lead to truth, or if it does lead to truth, it does so only by happenstance.

Like wot Dom said... Intuition helps to find truth; we intuit to think of a useful hypothesis before we next apply logic.

(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  Logic leads to truth. If logic doesn't lead to truth, then there is no mechanism by which human beings can ascertain the truth in any reliable way. So, if God is found through intuition, then God has utterly hidden himself from humanity.

Damn! I agree with this.

(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  As I have stated, I believe God exists. But I believe only God exists and everything else we think exists is really part of God owing its existence to being of God's substance. I can demonstrate this with logical arguments--irrefutable logical arguments, in my opinion. But that God is not a Christian God. In fact, if that God exists, religion of any kind is most likely pointless.

Change "god" to "the universe" and I agree with this too.
(and hell has just frozen over Weeping )

nth thought... bedtime now. Where's my horlicks?

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
03-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Want to retry?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
(03-10-2012 12:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Want to retry?

Me? No, thanks.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 01:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Hi Ed. Great to see your doing good. How's that wife doin' ?
Any more snakes ? If one asks the wife if she wants an apple, tell her to say "no thanks". Big Grin

(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  "Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions"

So just ask yourself. Tongue

No, seriously I think your point is quite valid.
There is a difference between
-respecting your RIGHT to have a belief, and
-respecting the belief itself.
There are SO many insane belief systems, there is no way you can honestly say "I respect that". It's dishonest. Bah. No way.
If one honestly perceives there is no truth or value in some belief system, then it is impossible to respect it.

Christians *say* they use Logic. In fact ultimately, they Special Plead, (from Logic) their way around it, (which raises the question of good faith).

So yeah. It's about the standard the belief system is held to, for it's validation.

BTW, I think that what you "name" as "god", is interesting, and I think if we had a discussion about what "naming" is, and how you and I perceive that, when we say those words, we may see that we think very much alike, (as certainly your god does not, at least as the first thought that enters your brain, include "evil" or "disorder".) Or am I wrong ?\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-10-2012, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 09:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-10-2012 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Second thought... Is Spiritlight like Diet Spirit? i.e. slightly less spiritual than others on that forum?

"Spirit Light" is :

Elevator-don'-go-all-the-way-the-top Spirit.
One-sprit-short-of-a-six-pack Spirit,
Half-a-bubble-off-a-plumb Spirit,
A-few-sandwitches-short-of-a-picknick Spirit,
A-few-French-fries-short-of-a-happy-meal Spirit,
A-few-crums-short-of-a-biscut Spirit,
Not-the-sharpest-knife-in-the-drawer Spirit,
There's-a-village-somewhere-that-is-looking-for-it's-idiot Spirit. Tongue
One brick short of a load.

(Help. Make it stop. )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-10-2012, 01:25 PM
(03-10-2012 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Where's my horlicks?

What's a horlicks?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-10-2012, 01:28 PM
(03-10-2012 01:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Where's my horlicks?

What's a horlicks?
Ahem, I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horlicks

kthxbye

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Egor, I haven't been around much either, lately. Shy
(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  In my way, there is no Supreme Being to worship--God is...

There is no god and in the same sentence there is a god. Is this logical? Doesn't appear to be, but as you said... this is your way... which is ok, as long as you don't go thinking it to be anyone else's way.

Ha - I kind of agree with DLJ - change "god" to "universe" and it all goes a bit more smoothly. It's a good slimming down of thoughts... I liked the economic wording, but I'm not certain what you specifically wanted addressed.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein