Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 09:04 PM
RE: Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions
wait, there's logic in math? please tell me that it is not in the same unit as probability.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
(03-10-2012 09:04 PM)Ozzie Wrote:  ... Gangnam Style ...

Gangnam Style - Malaysian Style

Sorry, Egor, for the derail but I love this one.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Let me say that I am truly honored that so many people looked at and responded to my post. I may not get to everyone with a personal reply but I will try to do so, even if it takes a couple of days.

Again, thanks.

Ed
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM

(03-10-2012 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  I believe I will leave you alone in your delusion.

Whatever. You’re weak and incapable of intelligently defending your faith in atheism. You don’t belong with the big boys. Go home. Breastfeed your mother some more.

[Image: 002.JPG]

(03-10-2012 11:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Logic is a subset of emotion, not separate. If we didn't know when we were being emotional, how could we know when we were being logical? But for all its utility, logic suffers from paradox. For which in my case the solution is discrete mathematics, for the rest of humanity, mathematics is logic 2.0, so...

Then there must be a mathematical way of describing only one thing existing. Find that formula, and you might truly have done something original and memorable in your life.

You love math, right? Then do something useful with it.

(03-10-2012 11:51 AM)nach_in Wrote:  It's all nice until you say everything is god and all that thing you keep saying about everything being god and whatnot... you seem to have issues about things being different from each other, and that sounds more like emotional/intuitive thinking rather than logical reasoning.

Shall we start a new post and argue logically this point? Are you up for it?

[Image: mt.jpg]
03-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I beg your pardon?
My beliefs are a delusion?
The only thing I believe, and I use the modern and non-antiquated definition of believe, is in the universe, which I find no consciousness in and thus do not feel the need to call it a god in any pantheist sense.
Naturalistic pantheism is one thing, which Richard Dawkins so eloquently described as being sexed-up atheism, pandeism and deism is something else with your work still ahead of you, yet actually exulting the universe?
Claiming intuition is above logic is, illogical.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
(03-10-2012 11:40 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 11:51 AM)nach_in Wrote:  It's all nice until you say everything is god and all that thing you keep saying about everything being god and whatnot... you seem to have issues about things being different from each other, and that sounds more like emotional/intuitive thinking rather than logical reasoning.

Shall we start a new post and argue logically this point? Are you up for it?

[Image: mt.jpg]

[Image: Come+at+me+bro%2521s.jpg]

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
04-10-2012, 12:00 AM

(03-10-2012 12:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  These items pop up as intuition, and you know they are not facts but the brain is offering you all it's got on the matter, for you to evaluate as you may.

I read your whole post, but I’m only going to respond to this one sentence with a question: Who is “you” in the above sentence? This “you” you refer to is not the brain, but it seems to have complete and even superior knowledge to the brain. I would like to explore this further. My guess is you would not. Consider

(03-10-2012 12:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  As for your sign off, I say but one thing: Do not respect their beliefs, nor should they (or we) respect yours!

Good day. Smile

Ah, but I don’t need anyone to respect mine. In fact, there are many people whom if they respected my opinion, I would change it. Angry

(03-10-2012 12:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  We've been over this already. The arguments you use are based on anecdotal evidence and are therefore not logically irrefutable.

(03-10-2012 12:29 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Please be so kind and clarify your effort.
Maybe it's my lack of english gramma, but i have read your text above nearly 10 times and i am unable to find the clou inside.
In the first part of the text, you stated, you have made an post on a religios

Okay. You had me at “religios.” I’m not reading any more. Blink

(03-10-2012 12:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Marco, if I read it right, he is commenting on the post that was quoted. He reposted his response to it.

Thank you. Bowing
04-10-2012, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 12:24 AM by depat.)
Egor:

I don't know how to discuss/debate your topic.

Your analysis sounds as if God exists only for itself, yet needs stepford (dream people) people to affirm / validate itself.

Why do Theists call God, he? So disturbingly, socially constructed.
04-10-2012, 12:29 AM

(03-10-2012 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  Logic leads to truth. If logic doesn't lead to truth, then there is no mechanism by which human beings can ascertain the truth in any reliable way. So, if God is found through intuition, then God has utterly hidden himself from humanity.

Damn! I agree with this.

See! You and me: We’re the same.

(03-10-2012 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  As I have stated, I believe God exists. But I believe only God exists and everything else we think exists is really part of God owing its existence to being of God's substance. I can demonstrate this with logical arguments--irrefutable logical arguments, in my opinion. But that God is not a Christian God. In fact, if that God exists, religion of any kind is most likely pointless.

Change "god" to "the universe" and I agree with this too.
(and hell has just frozen over Weeping )

Whatever you need. But God is only three letters.

(03-10-2012 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Hi Ed. Great to see your doing good. How's that wife doin' ?
Any more snakes ? If one asks the wife if she wants an apple, tell her to say "no thanks". Big Grin

Ah, Bucky Ball. Wife’s doing great, thanks. And I will definitely watch out for the whole water-moccasin-with-apple-thing.

Quote: There are SO many insane belief systems, there is no way you can honestly say "I respect that". It's dishonest. Bah. No way.
If one honestly perceives there is no truth or value in some belief system, then it is impossible to respect it.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Quote:Christians *say* they use Logic. In fact ultimately, they Special Plead, (from Logic) their way around it, (which raises the question of good faith).

What is “special pleading”?

Quote:BTW, I think that what you "name" as "god", is interesting, and I think if we had a discussion about what "naming" is, and how you and I perceive that, when we say those words, we may see that we think very much alike, (as certainly your god does not, at least as the first thought that enters your brain, include "evil" or "disorder".) Or am I wrong ?\\

I use the term “God” because it’s all I have to use. I’m a male nurse. I’ve had discussions with other nurses as to what a male nurse should be called (Let me just roll over and expose my soft underbelly now.). There is no other term—not professionally speaking anyway. We are not technicians, because we are licensed practitioners in nursing. We are not paramedics, we are not “caregivers.” There is in fact only one word for the profession—nurse.

Just like with the creator of the universe. It may well be that consciousness is a primal substance and all things are created from it, and that it is only self-aware in humans and other creatures in the universe that are like humans. But what other word is there for that? You could call it “The Force” like in Star Wars, but it’s a lot more than a force.

Shit, call it a nurse.

(03-10-2012 01:29 PM)kim Wrote:  Hi Egor, I haven't been around much either, lately. Shy

(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  In my way, there is no Supreme Being to worship--God is...

There is no god and in the same sentence there is a god. Is this logical?

Absolutely. It may be ironic or paradoxical, but it is logical. It is true.

Quote: Doesn't appear to be, but as you said... this is your way... which is ok, as long as you don't go thinking it to be anyone else's way.

No danger in that: I don’t think anyone believes the way I do.

I’m out for the night. I’ll check some more posts tomorrow.

Take care all. I’ll leave you with one of my favorite songs.

04-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Honestly, who gives a shit.

Atheists are right, theists are right who gives a shit.
What does it prove? nothing. Who cares if a God created everything, does it change anything to if some science explanation proved right? It's like "cool, XXX is how everything came to be... now what?". Whatever it was we can't change it, it's happened, everything is in existence.

Egor, just stop wasting your time thinking about how everything came to be. The sooner people accept that we cannot and never will know, including yourself, the sooner everyone can get on with their lives and do whatever it is they do.

Egor, what do you accomplish with all this shit you dribble?? The same as what I accomplish by all the dribble I preach when I spout off about atheism, nothing. My life isn't changed, time still ticks on, I'm still at university etc.. what does it matter how it came to be, what does it matter if God created everything or if everything came about because of some explosion?. All that matters is now, all that matters is right this very second, all that matters is my assignment that is due at 6pm tomorrow. Why? because nobody gives a flying shit. Life doesn't stop and go "oh, God created everything, here have $1million", life just carries on. Life is life and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

You are wasting your time, give it up and get on with your life because I fail to see what you are trying to achieve here.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.