Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
RE: Believe it or Not: I'm asking for atheist opinions
(04-10-2012 02:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That ain't my culture and heritage. Is that your culture and heritage?

... said the hairy sage Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I'll give a rep point to anyone that gets the movie reference. No cheating.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
04-10-2012, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 06:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-10-2012 12:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  I wonder if there’s really anything to be saved from. I spent a lifetime studying Jesus, and if I am honest, I don’t get it. Most of what he says simply cannot work in the world. If he meant it for the next life, or for life after death, then it has no meaning here. If he has already come back and gone, then it is expired wisdom. If there’s a hidden message in his words, then they are irrelevant.

I have spent my life studying Jesus, and I just don’t get it. I can make shit up. I can pretend. I can assign meanings to his words—I can even follow someone else who is doing the same, but in truth, he makes almost no sense to me whatsoever.

I still to this day, some 35 years since dismissing religion, read the Red Letter Version of the New Testament. The Red Letters provide a useful recipe to me for saving myself from myself. And it's easy for me now to separate my metaphysics from the game that I find myself playing. As long as the game stays amusing and entertaining, I'll keep playing it. But I realize it's just a fucking game that don't mean jackshit. Many don't. ... That's kinda the point the Red Letters make.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Ed,

I have taken a huge liberty with something you said in post #44 on this thread.

I hope you don't mind.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid180453

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
(03-10-2012 11:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  Below is a post I made in ChristianForums.com; I would like to know what atheists think of what I said. You know I'm not going to get a discussion there on it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl over here.

Here goes:

Spiritlight;61497718 Wrote:Mutual respect for each others beliefs is the beginning of understanding. Logic has its place but is not all there is. Intuition is as relevant as logic. Just because intuition is not as easily replicated as logical anlasys does not discount its importance as tool for finding God.

Well stated, but in my opinion wholly incorrect. Intuition leads to belief, but it doesn't lead to truth, or if it does lead to truth, it does so only by happenstance.

Logic leads to truth. If logic doesn't lead to truth, then there is no mechanism by which human beings can ascertain the truth in any reliable way. So, if God is found through intuition, then God has utterly hidden himself from humanity.

As I have stated, I believe God exists. But I believe only God exists and everything else we think exists is really part of God owing its existence to being of God's substance. I can demonstrate this with logical arguments--irrefutable logical arguments, in my opinion. But that God is not a Christian God. In fact, if that God exists, religion of any kind is most likely pointless.

Now, which way is better? In your way, there is a supreme being whom you worship and who loves you and will act in ways that are beneficial to you because of that love. But since you don't understand what He understands you may, in the final analysis, find yourself to suffer as much as anyone else.

In my way, there is no Supreme Being to worship--God is as alone in existence as He ever has been. His creation is merely his dream, and our consciousness is merely his consciousness within the dream. There is nothing to pray to; there is no love except his self-love (which explains why Jesus thought the second commandment was like the first, that is to love your neighbor as yourself was the same as loving God). And there is no real individual identity among persons. Thus we find ourselves to suffer about the same as everyone else.

Do you want to discuss this, or are you just going to walk away with Bible in hand hoping I'll respect your belief enough to leave you alone in your delusion?

Where is the inclusion of initiative factors in everyday life? Did not initiative propel such banter from your delusional illustration?

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
04-10-2012, 11:33 PM

(04-10-2012 08:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 12:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  

I bow down to your superior intellect. Bowing

Good boy.
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 11:37 PM

(04-10-2012 02:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't care about you, I don't like you, I don't know you (which kinda contradicts the "I don't like you" but whatever).

See! Atheists really do make the world a better place! Thumbsup

Quote:But I haven't read your post, I don't want to read your post and I'm not going to read your post so you really need to find a new goal if that is seriously your only goal of this.

And yet, here you are--again--reading my post.
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
04-10-2012, 11:42 PM

(04-10-2012 09:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ed,

I hope you don't mind.

Wow! That was totally cool. I couldn't have said it better myself--and I didn't. Thank you. I feel honored. Weeping
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM

(04-10-2012 11:22 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  Where is the inclusion of initiative factors in everyday life? Did not initiative propel such banter from your delusional illustration?

Huh? Huh
05-10-2012, 01:11 AM
(04-10-2012 11:42 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 09:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ed,

I hope you don't mind.

Wow! That was totally cool. I couldn't have said it better myself--and I didn't. Thank you. I feel honored. Weeping

You are honoured. Make the most of it... it won't happen again.

I would be honoured if you chose to paste the poem on the christian site you mentioned (I don't want to go there cos I've only just had a shower). It would be interesting to know the reaction. No need to attribute it to me though.