Believe!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
18-10-2017, 06:15 AM
RE: Believe!
(17-10-2017 05:01 PM)Eagle Wrote:  When you read the committee of some translation, there are people on it with qualifications longer than they appear to have room after their names for, but, when you look at the translations they produce, they change world like 'worshipped' to 'knelt' and all sorts of stuff which is not what the scriptures say. Having multiple degrees, diplomas, PHds doesn't remove a persons desire to massage their ego, and listen to themselves over honesty, actually, it can make it worse, because they become more convinced of an inflated self opinion.

The irony is thick with this one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kemo boy's post
18-10-2017, 06:52 AM
(18-10-2017 06:15 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 05:01 PM)Eagle Wrote:  When you read the committee of some translation, there are people on it with qualifications longer than they appear to have room after their names for, but, when you look at the translations they produce, they change world like 'worshipped' to 'knelt' and all sorts of stuff which is not what the scriptures say. Having multiple degrees, diplomas, PHds doesn't remove a persons desire to massage their ego, and listen to themselves over honesty, actually, it can make it worse, because they become more convinced of an inflated self opinion.

The irony is thick with this one.

The best part for me is he think he's going to heaven when he's already in Hell. It is kind of ironic.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-10-2017, 06:57 AM
(17-10-2017 05:02 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 04:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Nonetheless, these scribes were human beings, and human beings make mistakes. By comparing different manuscripts, we can see many of the mistakes made, and we can see patterns of certain types of mistakes that are made over and over. Bart Ehrman has written whole books on this subject. I don't care how dedicated these scribes were, they weren't machines. Mistakes are inevitable.

How do you know that is not the case? Because the Bible itself says so? It is "just another book" until proven to be otherwise. Its own internal claims do not constitute proof.
Regardless of your opinion on it, the people who preserved it had a different opinion.

Ah, so you admit that we're discussing opinions here. That's a step in the right direction. The next step is to stop trying to pass your opinions off as facts.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-10-2017, 06:59 AM
(17-10-2017 05:02 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 04:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Nonetheless, these scribes were human beings, and human beings make mistakes. By comparing different manuscripts, we can see many of the mistakes made, and we can see patterns of certain types of mistakes that are made over and over. Bart Ehrman has written whole books on this subject. I don't care how dedicated these scribes were, they weren't machines. Mistakes are inevitable.

How do you know that is not the case? Because the Bible itself says so? It is "just another book" until proven to be otherwise. Its own internal claims do not constitute proof.
Regardless of your opinion on it, the people who preserved it had a different opinion.

Repeat that back to yourself. It might help you.
18-10-2017, 07:09 AM
(17-10-2017 03:18 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Which, by the way, I thought about briefly as I read through the replies; there's a lot of angry people here, i'm glad it's not me, and I hope they find peace. That anger is through fear and hurt, and I hope it works the course and people come full circle.
So now you're a pop psychologist... and not very good at that either. There is no anger. It's you perceiving anger. There's no fear or hurt either. What you are seeing is reaction to your arrogance and complete lack of intellectual honesty.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
18-10-2017, 07:12 AM
(18-10-2017 04:17 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  ... if we all, all people in the entire world knew for a 100% fact that everything on this earth was created by god..what would be the point in ANYTHING we do right now? Jobs/what we value to be important or not/school anything like that?
Well to me this is not any more valid than the corresponding theist argument that WITHOUT god there's no meaning or purpose.

Regardless of what people think, they ALL make their OWN meaning and purpose based on what they feel self-actualized about. That a first-mover created everything doesn't mean I have zero impact or choice living within that framework. That a first-mover doesn't exist doesn't mean I have zero impact or choice living within that framework. That some choose to overlay their understanding of reality with baroque legends and myths and understand reality through that lens / extra baggage, or don't, doesn't mean I have zero impact or choice living within that framework.

Humans are meaning-makers, pattern-matchers, connection-builders. It's what we do. The origins of the environment in which we operate is beside the point.

If you're simply saying that with an actual god everything would be provided and we wouldn't have to work or strive, that depends on the god. God might expect / order you to work. A god doesn't necessarily imply heaven on earth, or even heaven after earth.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
18-10-2017, 07:22 AM
(18-10-2017 07:12 AM)mordant Wrote:  If you're simply saying that with an actual god everything would be provided and we wouldn't have to work or strive, that depends on the god. God might expect / order you to work. A god doesn't necessarily imply heaven on earth, or even heaven after earth.
I think my point is "at least we'd know where we stand". IE if God(s) expect us to work, we'd 100% know this from the big person(s) upstairs, and act accordingly. If the god being real, was a kind and "I did everything, so don;t worry about it" then again we'd know where we stand in that respect as well.

Then again, if a god(s) appeared in the sky right now, and claimed creation of the universe....I would say "prove it" lol.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
18-10-2017, 11:03 AM
(17-10-2017 03:18 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Which, by the way, I thought about briefly as I read through the replies; there's a lot of angry people here, i'm glad it's not me, and I hope they find peace. That anger is through fear and hurt, and I hope it works the course and people come full circle.

You're assuming the default condition is God and your specific version of Christianity. Why not atheism, or using your beloved and debunked Pascal's Wager, why not Hinduism, Islam, Shinto, Taoism, Buddhism, Vodoun, Zoroastrianism, or something else?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
18-10-2017, 12:28 PM
I'm a bit busy again so here my $0.02

Eag: you've gone out of your way to antagonize people. You've offered no reason for your position except things that are blatantly wrong. Some people here have given reason to think you are actively lying to them. I don't know. But what you have shown is an unwillingness to listen to people or to have a serious discussion.

I am not the smartest one on the board. There are people here who know much more about many things than I do. If I want to know about something I don't understand I will defer to superior expertise until they are proven wrong. You are far from the smartest ones here, but you are unwilling to accept that you could be wrong. And on a forum made of mostly people who disdain willfull ignorance this is not going to sit well.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
18-10-2017, 12:33 PM
(17-10-2017 03:18 PM)Eagle Wrote:  I hope it works the course and people come full circle.

But why say naughty things about FC?
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post