(Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 08:21 PM
(Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...
My wife wants to send me a religious book...I'm working 1400 miles away from home. We have a great relationship, and can discuss religion candidly...with respect for each other. So she's going to send me a book affirming Christianity. I was going to send her Seth's book...I feel it's an easy to read, and very straigh forward. My wife and I are both highly educated...and I think she may be open to skeptical ideas...even if she doesn't want to realize them for herself...YET.

So...if you could suggest a book for an intellectual person of faith...which one would it be?

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like LunchBox's post
15-11-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: (Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...
You say she's educated. Does she already understand and acept evolution?

15-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Hmm, I prefer Hitchens' debates. If she would like a visual substitute.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
15-11-2013, 08:37 PM
(15-11-2013 08:29 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  You say she's educated. Does she already understand and acept evolution?

She has more degrees (biology centered) than I...and I would say she accepts the principles of evolution, over the "we came from bacteria"...but she is ultimately reasonable, and scientifically minded.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
15-11-2013, 08:37 PM
(15-11-2013 08:29 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  You say she's educated. Does she already understand and acept evolution?

She has more degrees (biology centered) than I...and I would say she accepts the principles of evolution, over the "we came from bacteria"...but she is ultimately reasonable, and scientifically minded.

---Master Tang---
15-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I recommend "Lectures of Col. R. G. Ingersoll".
[+] 3 users Like sandman's post
15-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Lunchbox,
Welcome to the community. Out of curiosity, what book does your wife want to send you? And may I suggest The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins as your present to her?

Doc
15-11-2013, 09:06 PM
(15-11-2013 08:37 PM)LunchBox Wrote:  

Actually, maybe a better question to ask is, what aspect of not believing does she have the most trouble with, and what does she feel her strongest reason to believe is? Perhaps tailor it to these things, rather than a general book.

16-11-2013, 01:32 AM
I think Seth's book is better after people have made the transition and need reassurance they will be ok. If you want a book written by a former believer that is less likely to offend than Dawkins, try 50 reasons people give for believing in a God. It will eliminate the standard fallback arguments. If she's likely to think religion is good for you, even if it's not true, then Letter to a Christian Nation. If she's science oriented, can plow through detail and appreciates logical argument, then God Delusion. Any of those should do the trick.

Nice thing for you will be how easy it is to dismantle every single argument in the book she gives you.
16-11-2013, 02:49 AM
So you're saying she understands that her thoughts are irrational, but has made the conscious choice to hold on to them anyway.

Give her a book on Wiccan magic. Maybe she'll convert and begin to believe that she can turn you into a believer.
If this were to happen, would you still consider her to be highly educated ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results