(Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: (Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...
When you mentioned biology, Dawkins comes to mind first.
Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World; Science as a Candle in the Dark" is a strong recommendation based on the mention of science in your post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes closet.atheist's post
17-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks, fellow heathens. Although I can't put Barkers "godless" down, he hasn't really spent much time (as far as I've read so far) as to how those skeptical thoughts tip-toed in...what they were...etc. He may get to that, however. That's going to be her biggest objection...is even allowing dogmatic "facts" to be challenged. But...when she and I talk about this kind of stuff...it's respectful, and thoughtful.

I'll check out the Sweeny books.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
17-11-2013, 03:52 PM
(17-11-2013 01:50 PM)LunchBox Wrote:  That's going to be her biggest objection...is even allowing dogmatic "facts" to be challenged. But...when she and I talk about this kind of stuff...it's respectful, and thoughtful.

I'll check out the Sweeny books.

Yes - that's what I was wondering about with your wife... it can be a very personal process for each person to break away ... in their own way.

Even more than the other Sweeny book, I would go with Letting Go of God - it's specifically about the personal process. She really opens up about her fears of letting go and the sadness she encountered in herself and how she dealt with quite a few emotions. It was really quite touching and thoughtful... and of course, funny.

Usually, when I read about a book with any vigor, it's to find out what I don't know. Also I have found, if it's convinced me of something or changed my mind about something, I love reading it all the more.

This is why I think books like Seth's and Julia Sweeny's are very important; they tell of an often frightening, exciting, sad, and even funny personal journey which I have never had to take. If I can only barely relate to these experiences and only somewhat empathize, yet still be moved and excited by them ... just think how these stories would be for someone who's actually considering living it.

This is a very important point of view for people who may be facing a difficult and vulnerable experience. It must never be discounted or take a minor position in the de-conversion discussion. I think books like these need to be the first thing a curious or questioning person reads.

I have never had a faith but have obviously been around many who have and so, I do understand belief. Though I adore Hitch's work, I also realize his viewpoint concerning faith would be quite similar to my own; from the side lines. It is an entirely different experience and contrasts starkly with an adult indoctrinated early, who has spent years being groomed to be faithful.

I'm glad your wife is open to the discussion. I want to say, don't have any expectations but also... don't scare her off. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks...it's a bit strange for me too...and even though I never really bought in...I had to live life as if I did. Public school science teacher in the heart of the bible belt...gotta keep yer head down...LOL

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
[+] 1 user Likes LunchBox's post
18-11-2013, 02:15 AM
(15-11-2013 08:40 PM)sandman Wrote:  I recommend "Lectures of Col. R. G. Ingersoll".

This, or his 'Some Mistake of Moses'. Ingersoll was one of the most influential public speakers during the 'Golden Age of Freethought', and influenced the likes of Mark Twain. You can get a free ebook copy (in EPUB or PDF format) of it from Google HERE.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2013, 02:42 AM
(16-11-2013 03:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Karen Armstrong's A History of God

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History_of_God

Then she might understand the flimsiness of her current belief structure.

Good luck.

Additional plug for Karen Armstrong's book...

I had the same experience as the Evid3nc3 (the youtuber) in that I flicked to the end of the book and drew a different conclusion to Armstrong (the author). Whether your wife does... time will tell.

Thanks, to EvoKills for reminding me of these vids which might be a good follow up to show your wife after she has read the book.

The term used at the end, for what you want your wife to go start doing, is a good one... mental bootcamp. Excellent. I think that is what many TTA-ers have gone through, too.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-11-2013, 10:00 AM
I mean this in all seriousness: ask her to read the bible.
[+] 4 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
18-11-2013, 10:50 PM
(18-11-2013 10:00 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I mean this in all seriousness: ask her to read the bible.

Skeptic's Annotated Bible

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Another vote here for "A history of God." It's a descriptive, factual account of how humans have created God - without being religious or controversial in its subject matter.

I haven't read it, but the "Atheism for Dummies" book has wonderful reviews and it sounds like a well-written, non-offensive, informative book. I think I'll pick it up soon myself.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
19-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Your screen name reminds me of a manson song. Good luck with the book exchange.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.