(Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 04:24 AM
RE: (Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...
Someone mentioned Dawkins, so why don't you exchange 'The God Delusion' for her with John Lennox's 'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?; for yourself? It would make great thinking and discussion for both of you and more of a basis for a discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 07:28 AM
(19-11-2013 04:24 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  Someone mentioned Dawkins, so why don't you exchange 'The God Delusion' for her with John Lennox's 'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?; for yourself? It would make great thinking and discussion for both of you and more of a basis for a discussion.

Yabut, that book only has one word inside... Nearly

19-11-2013, 08:02 AM
(19-11-2013 07:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 04:24 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  Someone mentioned Dawkins, so why don't you exchange 'The God Delusion' for her with John Lennox's 'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?; for yourself? It would make great thinking and discussion for both of you and more of a basis for a discussion.

Yabut, that book only has one word inside... Nearly

"Science is burying God. One Gap at a time."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
19-11-2013, 09:06 AM
I recommend you to send her Baron D'Holbach's work "Good Sense".

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
19-11-2013, 12:46 PM
(19-11-2013 07:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yabut, that book only has one word inside... Nearly

Far from it. There's a lot of suggestions here for books to persuade the OP's wife her beliefs may be false, but I hope he's not afraid to actually read something contrary to what he thinks? It wouldn't be fair to use something that could be of benefit to both as just a chance to destroy her beliefs, I think.
20-11-2013, 12:15 AM
(19-11-2013 12:46 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 07:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yabut, that book only has one word inside... Nearly

Far from it. There's a lot of suggestions here for books to persuade the OP's wife her beliefs may be false, but I hope he's not afraid to actually read something contrary to what he thinks? It wouldn't be fair to use something that could be of benefit to both as just a chance to destroy her beliefs, I think.

Well, if she values evidence and reason, it's not our fault that they simply don't support belief in the divine.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
20-11-2013, 09:06 PM
(19-11-2013 12:46 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  

Good point. I'm actually re-reading not enough faith to be an atheist...my sister got it for me. I'm reading it the 2nd time, and sticky-note annotating it as I go pointing out the insanity. I asked my sister to read it again with my comments. I'm in ch2 and have about 100 notes in it.

The killer difference here is...and I imagine a great lot of you would agree...I'll go where the evidence is. This makes me unafraid to evaluate ANY stance on the matter.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
[+] 2 users Like LunchBox's post
21-11-2013, 12:21 AM
(20-11-2013 09:06 PM)LunchBox Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 12:46 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  Far from it. There's a lot of suggestions here for books to persuade the OP's wife her beliefs may be false, but I hope he's not afraid to actually read something contrary to what he thinks? It wouldn't be fair to use something that could be of benefit to both as just a chance to destroy her beliefs, I think.

Good point. I'm actually re-reading not enough faith to be an atheist...my sister got it for me. I'm reading it the 2nd time, and sticky-note annotating it as I go pointing out the insanity. I asked my sister to read it again with my comments. I'm in ch2 and have about 100 notes in it.

The killer difference here is...and I imagine a great lot of you would agree...I'll go where the evidence is. This makes me unafraid to evaluate ANY stance on the matter.

An Atheist Reads 'I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist'

It's pretty long, this is only part one of sixteen... Blink

Fortunately Steve Shives is capable of making the reading both enjoyable and enlightening, more so than can be said of the book.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
23-11-2013, 10:40 PM
(21-11-2013 12:21 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 09:06 PM)LunchBox Wrote:  Good point. I'm actually re-reading not enough faith to be an atheist...my sister got it for me. I'm reading it the 2nd time, and sticky-note annotating it as I go pointing out the insanity. I asked my sister to read it again with my comments. I'm in ch2 and have about 100 notes in it.

An Atheist Reads 'I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist'

It's pretty long, this is only part one of sixteen... Blink

Fortunately Steve Shives is capable of making the reading both enjoyable and enlightening, more so than can be said of the book.

Funny you should post that...I make my annotations, then watch his vids to shore up anything I might have missed.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
24-11-2013, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 02:02 PM by showmeproof.)
(15-11-2013 08:21 PM)LunchBox Wrote:  My wife wants to send me a religious book...I'm working 1400 miles away from home. We have a great relationship, and can discuss religion candidly...with respect for each other. So she's going to send me a book affirming Christianity. I was going to send her Seth's book...I feel it's an easy to read, and very straigh forward. My wife and I are both highly educated...and I think she may be open to skeptical ideas...even if she doesn't want to realize them for herself...YET.

So...if you could suggest a book for an intellectual person of faith...which one would it be?

I am in a mixed marriage as well.

I suggest the book The Early History of God by Mark S. Smith; or The Origins of Biblical Monotheism also by Smith. You could even get her a book to go along with it by a conservative scholar, Richard Hess, titled Israelite Religions. Richard Hess wrote his book in response to the charge by William Dever that no evangelical would write a book on Israelite religion because they would have to abandon their faith to do so. Yet, on page 174 Hess states quite plainly "From the standpoint of the history of Yahwism, it is important to note that Exodus 6:2-3 confirms that Yahweh originally revealed himself as El, the traditional name of the chief god of the West Semitic pantheon. This was evident whether he was manifest as El Shaddai, El Elyon, or another El figure."

William Lane Craig deceptively utilizes Richard Hess to minimize Canaanite influence of the current foundation of Jewish and Christian beliefs. Yet, all you have to do is read Hess' book to realize that he isn't entirely forthcoming in the apologetic.

Quite simply, I think if you point out that YHWH is a conglomeration of El and Baal (Canaanite gods) and provide the evidence it is easier for a Christian to see the falsity of their beliefs. Afterall, they are taught in Sunday school from a very early Age that the Canaanites were wrong and evil. Just flip it back on them.

My wife has turned more evangelical since I've let her know I am atheist. She will not read any books, though I have a library full in the house, that could lead to doubt. At least I have them for my enjoyment and as quick reference for my two sons as they have questions.

Research Ugarit and the West Semitic Combat Myth. Speak in terms of the Evolution of Religion---which reminds me of another good recommendation; Robert Wright's The Evolution of God.
[+] 1 user Likes showmeproof's post