(Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: (Believer) Wife Has Agreed to Exchange Books...
(24-11-2013 06:25 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 06:21 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You're mom too, huh? Dodgy

I'm not sure if there's some secret clubs where deluded moms get together to send their kids shitty books. She might be a member though.

"Here's a book full of things I like because it caters to my confirmation bias. I don't like cognitive dissonance and the fact that you don't agree with what I believe. So here's a book with shitty old arguments that are made to sound new but actually aren't. I could probably look up the refutations on the internet if I actually cared, but I don't want to read things that actually contradict my world view because that's uncomfortable. Enjoy!"

Yup. Except I'm not out as an atheist to my mom. Seems to be some sort of extended empty nest indoctrination syndrome she has. I'm 32 FFS! Weeping

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 07:28 PM
If she's an intellectual Christian, Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian might be worth considering.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
24-11-2013, 07:52 PM
(24-11-2013 07:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 06:25 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I'm not sure if there's some secret clubs where deluded moms get together to send their kids shitty books. She might be a member though.

"Here's a book full of things I like because it caters to my confirmation bias. I don't like cognitive dissonance and the fact that you don't agree with what I believe. So here's a book with shitty old arguments that are made to sound new but actually aren't. I could probably look up the refutations on the internet if I actually cared, but I don't want to read things that actually contradict my world view because that's uncomfortable. Enjoy!"

Yup. Except I'm not out as an atheist to my mom. Seems to be some sort of extended empty nest indoctrination syndrome she has. I'm 32 FFS! Weeping

I recycled that book when someone sent it to me anonymously. I didn't bother to read it.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-11-2013, 07:53 PM
(24-11-2013 07:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 07:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yup. Except I'm not out as an atheist to my mom. Seems to be some sort of extended empty nest indoctrination syndrome she has. I'm 32 FFS! Weeping

I recycled that book when someone sent it to me anonymously. I didn't bother to read it.

Look on the bright side, the paper can be reprinted into a different, more useful book now!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
24-11-2013, 11:19 PM
(24-11-2013 01:50 PM)Concerned Wrote:  Case for Christ is the best book I have ever read

Speaking of Steve Shives eviscerating a reading of an apologetics book...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-01-2014, 11:50 PM
I've decided to use Seth's book. My wife offered me a book about the rapture...full of typical scare-tactics, reinforced with scripture. Clearly she hasn't a clue as to the reasons I do not believe...and I told her this. Seth's book explains WHY (or how it's even possible that) a lot of us fall away from the faith, more than the ironclad rationale behind it. She will need to see how it is even possible for someone to doubt.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
[+] 1 user Likes LunchBox's post
25-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Just wanted to agree with the Sweeny rec. and if you can do an audio book, she is an excellent story teller. There are clips on YouTube and TEDx

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
25-01-2014, 11:23 PM
(25-01-2014 12:15 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Just wanted to agree with the Sweeny rec. and if you can do an audio book, she is an excellent story teller. There are clips on YouTube and TEDx

I listened to her letting go audio book...seemed good, but it was a bit more superficial than I wanted for her.

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---