Believes she saw Jesus, forever a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Believes she saw Jesus, forever a believer
Hey All,

I just want to say what a pleasure it is to be in good company! Anyway, here's my issue. I love my girlfriend of 2 years but she's a Christian, I'm obviously an Atheist. She has actually told me on multiple occasion that she would be an Atheist but "saw" Jesus (yes, in physical form) when she was 8 years old. I am enough of a skeptic that I simply cannot believe her, especially not at that age. She also had a pretty crazy upbringing (rampant drug use in the family, daddy issues, all while under the wing of a highly religious mother -the extremist crazy type too).

Anyway, I don't think I will ever convince her but I wanted to know if anyone had some good defensive points on a believers supposed "visions". I know the mind is a powerful force and can cause hallucinations, especially in a young one with a potentially wild imagination. Any tips on combating this particular issue?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2013, 05:44 PM
RE: Believes she saw Jesus, forever a believer
My advice would be to agree on dropping religion as a topic of conversation altogether. It worked for me and the people I've dated.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
18-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the forum Thumbsup
If her believing that she witnessed JC at an early age isnt causing a problem in your relationship directly I dont see why it is a problem if im honest.

Im sure others here will direct you to some decent material to read up upon.

Are you going to try and deconvert her?

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
18-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey guys (and gals)

Unfortunately, it is a problem. We are madly in love with each other but turns out religion is a big deal. I try to be laid back but she's sort of the militant-christian type and to be completely fair, I'm a "devout" atheist. We try to ignore the issue but it does come up.

Trying to deconvert? It's nothing I try to do actively but when we have our arguments, which we do, I can generally stand pretty strong thanks to my education in Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and our beloved Seth Andrews. This issue however has me a bit stumped.

Thank you both for the replies and I look forward to any reading or suggestions I could take up.

Thanks again!
[+] 1 user Likes zellerscrossing's post