Believing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Believing
Hello guys,
I came to this medium to ask a question, more specifically: Which belief am I looking for?
Short introduction: I’m Belgian, studying economics, 22 years old and baptized when I was too young to decide for myself what I wanted to believe in.
My first statement is that I am not an atheist. Now most of you would fire with the question ‘what are you doing here then?’ It’s because atheism is the closest thing to what I believe. But during many encounters I find atheists ignorant, ignorant towards other religions. (Just like a lot of Christians and Jews, etc. are) Some of you just ignore other religions/cultures because you’re just convinced of your own point of view while ignoring the fact that there is so much more to different kinds of religions than meets the eye. Some of you must understand that religion is much more than just god. There are so many things that are involved in a religion.
Quick example, you are a father of 2 children. Your wife kids, mom, father They all crash in a car accident and you don’t have anybody left… Except for god… He will always be there right. It is an untouchable and never changing object/spirit/person whatever that will always be there and it gives people hope. This is one of the thousands of reasons perhaps millions why I respect religion. Or on historical level that they needed stories to explain certain phenomenon’s. But I hope we are past that point now and we are looking forward!
I’m 85% sure there isn’t a higher power but I believe there are other kinds of materials, physics and other scientific elements that haven’t been discovered that might come close to the term “God”, “Buddha”, …
But I wouldn’t be a millennial if I wasn’t going to say there should be a division of powers. Governments have to stop giving money to the churches and synagogues and in the other direction religions have to stop interfering with political issues. They should merely exist as an opinion giver and to shed a different light on these topics without provoking people to take action. That is just my opinion.

But I am drifting of. I am looking for a belief that doesn’t neglect the existence of a god nor believes in it. More like an observing belief. And I also I’m convinced that if there is some higher power or substance or whatever it is not here for us. Why would it? The entire human population is just one drop of water in the ocean. If the Earth formed at midnight and the present moment is the next midnight, 24 hours later, modern humans have been around since 11:59:59pm—1 second. So why would any god be here for us?
I fear death, but I don’t create a story to make me feel better. (life after death) I’m not a pessimist even though I have moments when I realize everything we do is just worthless but then again it is all about living in the moment. Enjoying life when you are here.
Also, I have an opinion on immigration. I know it is inevitable and we should work towards a harmonious multicultural world. It has been like this since the dawn of men, different tribes becoming bigger tribes, villages becoming cities, it already happened on a smaller scale and now it is just happening on a global scale and perhaps in a few hundred years we’ll have to mingle with the aliens. It’s just how things go and we shouldn’t follow extremists anymore, but their opinion always needs to be there it matters because people need this.
Then I have a bunch of theories about the fact that humans should work together as one race and start looking at the universe just like Colombus was looking at the ocean not knowing what is at the end of it. But I’m going to quit my lecture here.

So does anybody know where my opinions fit in most? Nihilism or atheism anyway? Help me out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Observer123's post
15-04-2017, 07:44 AM
RE: Believing
Agnosticism? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-04-2017, 07:53 AM
(15-04-2017 07:35 AM)Observer123 Wrote:  But during many encounters I find atheists ignorant, ignorant towards other religions. (Just like a lot of Christians and Jews, etc. are) Some of you just ignore other religions/cultures because you’re just convinced of your own point of view while ignoring the fact that there is so much more to different kinds of religions than meets the eye.

I find this statement way off base. I've always stood by the statement that there is nothing more dangerous to a Christian than an informed Atheist. I've studied all the major religions since I was 14 (when I became an Atheist) and as many on here have done the same. So when you say that we ignore other religions / cultures you are most certainly incorrect. At least in my case.

There is no God. There is no evidence of God. So I'll leave you with this. Man created God. Not the other way around.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 10 users Like RearViewMirror's post
15-04-2017, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 09:00 AM by Vera.)
Yeah, you kinda lost me at atheists being ignorant. In my - not so limited experience - atheists are, by and large - much less ignorant, actually, more often than not, very knowledgeable about religion (and, unlike your garden variety theist, not just about their own religion of choice (and by choice, I mean, pure geographical coincidence 99% of the time). See, for a lot of atheists it's a long and painful process of examining and reexamining their often deeply-held beliefs. Unlike a lot of theists who are just content to go with "the Bible/Koran/what have you says so, so it must be true" and switch off their brains at that.

As for what to call yourself, frankly, only you can decide that. Not that I see the need for a label, but whatever.

(Mods, sorry if this was too harsh for this section, though I don't really see much of a personal issue to be fair. And. I could've been a lot harsher. So there's that Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Vera's post
15-04-2017, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 09:10 AM by adey67.)
I Must keep mouth shut, Must keep mouth shut
I Must keep mouth shut, Must keep mouth shut

Welcome to TTABig Grin
I hope your stay will be a profitable one, I'm not sure what help or support we can offer you but you might want to consider couching your posts using different terms and language, most atheists know the bible and other religious texts and doctrines better than the adherents themselves, which makes them far from ignorant, in fact it makes them a threat to the religious which is why they so frequently feel the need to discredit and misrepresent the atheist. I suspect it was a religious individual who suggested to you that atheists are ignorant, don't listen to them clearly they have an agenda.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
15-04-2017, 09:58 AM
(15-04-2017 07:35 AM)Observer123 Wrote:  So does anybody know where my opinions fit in most? Nihilism or atheism anyway? Help me out.

If you are looking for ethical and philosophical outlooks with universal applicability, I would suggest considering Humanism and naturalism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism...losophy%29
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
15-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Atheists ignorant toward [about?] religion? Not in my case. I've had about a decade of comparative religious study and read 500+ books on religion(s), many of which are still in my private library. I'm an atheist largely due to studying religion and finding it rationally assailable. Furthermore, I have never run across any reliable evidence for the existence of God(s) or the supernatural.
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Why is this in PI&S?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2017, 12:35 PM
(15-04-2017 12:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  Why is this in PI&S?

Mods please relocate. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
15-04-2017, 01:08 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

(15-04-2017 07:35 AM)Observer123 Wrote:  Hello guys,
I came to this medium to ask a question, more specifically: Which belief am I looking for?

Firstly, atheism is not a "belief"—as are all religions. It's a singular, personal state of mind; nothing more, nothing less. We adhere to no dogma; we have no faith in any/all supernatural entities; we have no holy book; we build no houses of worship; we listen to no preacher; and we attest to the non-existence of all paranormal phenomena.

Quote:My first statement is that I am not an atheist. Now most of you would fire with the question ‘what are you doing here then?’ It’s because atheism is the closest thing to what I believe.

Nope, I wouldn't ask what you're doing here. People of any/all/no religion are more than welcome to debate their points of view on this forum (unlike many religious fora I could name!) If you present yourself in a considerate manner, be you theist or agnostic, and articulate your ideas clearly, then you'll most definitely get considered responses. And just a finer point: one cannot be "close" to atheism any more than a woman can be nearly pregnant. You either is or you ain't.

Quote:But during many encounters I find atheists ignorant, ignorant towards other religions... Some of you just ignore other religions/cultures because you’re just convinced of your own point of view while ignoring the fact that there is so much more to different kinds of religions than meets the eye.

I'll ignore your over-generalized insult for the moment. Confused

We atheists definitely haven't nor currently "ignore other [sic ] religions". Many of us have in fact deconverted from a life bound to some religion or other, and sometimes later in life. (I'm a lifelong atheist.) And most of us have more than a passing interest in, and knowledge of, religions, and are well-versed in their dogma, beliefs, ethics, holy books, and moral pronouncements.

I'm not sure what you mean by there is "so much more than meets the eye" with religions? All the thousands of different global religions have one thing in common—they all have a belief founded solely on the purported existence of supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena. Any other differences are ultimately immaterial.

Quote:Some of you must understand that religion is much more than just god.

Please don't tell us what we "must" do. It's patronising.

Quote:So does anybody know where my opinions fit in most? Nihilism or atheism anyway? Help me out.

One can't choose between nihilism or atheism. Each position can be concomitant with the other.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post