Ben Carson Uses Religion to Separate Science From Propaganda (contains BS)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2015, 11:36 PM
http://www.atheistrepublic.com/news/ben-...propaganda

Quote:Republican presidential hopeful and former neurosurgeon Ben Carson recently said he uses religion to differentiate between science and propaganda. Carson made an appearance on NBC’s Meet the Press earlier this month, where Chuck Todd asked him how he, as a former neurosurgeon, could trust science and still identify himself as a conservative Christian. That is when Carson explained science must rely on religion because he believes it is quite possible that scientific proof is mere propaganda.

Quote:Carson went on to say while religious beliefs give people some direction in their lives, they are not meant to rule over public policies and political stances. He narrated anecdotes of people who often asked him during his practice how he reconciles his religious beliefs with scientific knowledge that results in an effective surgeon. He said his response to those people was that perhaps the scientific principles he disagreed with were not scientific to begin with.

Carson also clarified that he blindly trusts the science he believes was necessary to make him a neurosurgeon but maybe the rest of all science is nothing but mere propaganda that has been generated by scientists and others who have vested interest.

we need to edumacate these people
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2015 12:41 AM by NoSkyDaddy.)
RE: Ben Carson Uses Religion to Separate Science From Propaganda (contains BS)
So... The science that tells him which parts of your brain to leave in your skull is okie-dokie, but, the part refuting talking snakes, magical fruit and a six day creation us "propaganda"?....Consider Interesting.
I find it hard to believe this is more than pandering.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
22-03-2015, 01:30 AM
(22-03-2015 12:25 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  ...
I find it hard to believe this is more than pandering.

Yup. He wants to get elected, doesn't he?

To those who know no better, he's telling 'em what they want to hear.

To those who know better, he's telling 'em that he is a skillful politician (i.e. not like Palin, Reagan, Quayle or Bush).

I've never heard of him before but he's just gone up in my (previously non-existent) estimation. He now has the status of Not A Complete Idiot.

Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-03-2015, 05:40 AM
This is someone who sold his moral integrity to the highest bidder.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-03-2015, 08:33 AM
I don't think Carson is a serious contender for the post. He's a far right wing tea party favourite, but he had to withdraw some statements recently about homosexuality being a choice and has been turned on by the faithful.

As a neurosurgeon he's right at that comfortable place where he doesn't really have to understand or accept evolution or consider the serious theological and scientific issues... but where his position sounds important and credible on scientific matters.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-03-2015, 11:32 AM
I remember reading about him about a decade ago. He impressed me.

Now... Not so much. He just spiraled fast like a nugget down the toilet.
23-03-2015, 07:45 AM
(21-03-2015 11:36 PM)Ace Wrote:  we need to edumacate these people

We need to stop giving them microphones and putting them in front of TVs.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
23-03-2015, 08:06 AM
(23-03-2015 07:45 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 11:36 PM)Ace Wrote:  we need to edumacate these people

We need to stop giving them microphones and putting them in front of TVs.

But then how could we find out how flawed their thinking is?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
23-03-2015, 08:18 AM
I can see a consult with him now:
Carson: Well, Mr Ham, it appears you have a tumor in your brain.
Mr Ham: Oh No! Where did it come from?
Carson: Sin.
Mr Ham: Sin? Well that makes sense. What do you recommend?
Carson: Well go to your pastor and have him oil you up, say some prayers, and let the lord heal you because anything that science says can't be trusted. I should know, I'm a doctor.
Mr Ham: Wow!! It's so exciting to be a christian.
Carson: Praise god and here's your bill.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
23-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Because he is too stupid to understand there are all over the world scientists who have different religions. There are some who are willing to keep religion out of the lab.

But, Victor Stinger in his book "The New Atheism" argues that splitting the baby does not work. If you claim that a god is real, then we should expect to see the affects it has so it should be measurable. Like the effects of a black hole on the event horizon, dark matter, and energy itself. You don't have to in science have to see it, but if it has an affect on the things around it, we should be able to detect it. Like you cannot see wind but you see it blowing leaves and branches.

The simple reason humans buy god claims is because we evolved as a species with flawed perceptions and god claims are reflections of our fear of being finite and our egos. We simply want to be important to all this, but the truth is we are not.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user