Ben Carson's unusual theory about pyramids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 08:11 PM
RE: Ben Carson's unusual theory about pyramids
(06-11-2015 06:26 PM)julep Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oops. Turns out he fabricated the whole West Point thing.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/be...int-215598
So maybe Carson can be excused for misremembering his college app process in the same way.

No possible way. Despite how he is attempting to spin his cover, it's no easy matter to even apply to an Academy, let alone make it to the point they're offering you admission, which is what he first claimed. It's not the "tiny slip-up" he's trying to portray it as, now. It works like this (after getting good grades, having lots of extracurriculars, and a high SAT/ACT score, of course)...

Step One: contact state-level politicians and/or military personnel of rank in your local area (depending on which type of appointment you're trying to get), and let them know that you're (in your opinion) qualified and willing to apply to the Academy. They will conduct interviews and look at whether to forward your name to the people who are actually capable of submitting your name for an appointment.

Step Two: repeat the process with the actual staff members and eventually the US senator/congressperson (or general) who will be forwarding you, and only you, as their one "slot", since they get only one name per year each to sponsor ("nominate" is the actual term) for appointment. Literally hundreds apply for each slot.

Step Three: essays, more interviews, and formal application for appointment. Wait, hope, and check the mailbox sixteen times a day until The Letter arrives. Just being nominated is no guarantee of acceptance.

Step Four: Congratulations, you have been accepted to the __(1998)__ Gruadating Class at the US _(Air Force)_ Academy. Report to __Colorado Springs__ on May 25, 1994, at 0800 hours for Induction Day.

There is no way, if he had any clue at all about what it really takes to get appointed to an Academy, that he would have said that. And there is no way he casually mentioned applying to West Point and being accepted unless he knew the significance of what such an achievement would have been.

I'm sorry to react so aggressively about it, but I'm deeply offended that this guy would try to fictionalize the Academies, to borrow their prestige for his own use, as a springboard to power.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-11-2015, 08:15 PM
(05-11-2015 07:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  He's not saying they 'cure everything' as Girly put it, but here he is extolling the virtues of glyconutrients, and those of Mannatech (which in the past marketed said products as cures for numerous conditions prior to their being sued by a Texas judge over the patently false claims):

OK. To tell you the truth I don't trust all those products. I never even wanted to try them. Plus I have my guidance about food Word of Wisdom from God Tongue Smile
(05-11-2015 07:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  As a side-side-note; counter to Carson's claim in the video as to why dogs eat grass: canines cannot properly digest grass. It is believed that dogs eat grasses to induce vomiting, or remove intestinal parasites. It may also be an attempt to gain the gut bacteria they would get from that of their prey, or it may just be because they can.
I agree, all those can be true reasons. But we don't know for sure.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
06-11-2015, 08:19 PM
(05-11-2015 09:51 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  I didn't ask about your opinion. I asked about evidence. Drinking Beverage

Then are you asking for the evidence that he knows how to separate conjoined twins based on your responses to people responding to your post?

Because the evidence of his lack of knowledge of the details of what a president needs to consider are plastered all through his life and campaign. His ignorance on routine commonplace political concepts like mentioned before, his lack of information in answering questions on policy when asked to define specifics, his non-understanding of simple differing philosophical positions, his lack of negotiation/relation across many boundaries is also glaring too. All he has going for him is he was a neuroscientist and he is soft on all political issues with canned non-responses of "i'm not on either side here" attitude. (direct example his black relation & immigration comments) There's a reason it's not surprising to anyone on the debate supposed to be focused on economics he spoke the least of any considered candidate.

All of this has already been brought up on this forum in multiples ways before with direct quotes or clips of his comments on such things. Any insistence of he did great things as a neurosurgeon so he can be good at X other thing is just blatantly fallacious reasoning.

OK. You make good arguments. When I see good arguments I can not reject them. Even though I like Ben Carson as person a lot.

06-11-2015, 08:24 PM
I have read all of your posts, guys. I start to agree with you. Even though I don't want to.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
06-11-2015, 09:01 PM
[Image: An-image-mocking-GOP-presidential-candid...00x430.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 7 users Like Minimalist's post
06-11-2015, 11:15 PM
I read that. However my cousin thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread. I sent her a link. I hope she reads it. She even said he is honest!?
07-11-2015, 01:06 AM
(06-11-2015 03:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I wonder if he could give himself brain surgery, to remove the stupidity????

It'd be worth a shot....

If he skips anaesthesia, you've got a deal.

I'll sign for him.
07-11-2015, 01:09 AM
(06-11-2015 04:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I wonder what he thinks the great Sphinx built during the same era as the 2nd great pyramid was for.

I'm not sure why the Sphinx was built, but I'm pretty sure western Egypt was built to be its litterbox. Why else all that sand?

You can't explain it!
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2015, 01:15 AM
(06-11-2015 08:11 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm sorry to react so aggressively about it, but I'm deeply offended that this guy would try to fictionalize the Academies, to borrow their prestige for his own use, as a springboard to power.

This.

As a veteran, seeing some dickwipe trying to borrow prestige, not to mention honor, from the uniform I and so many others wore is shitty.

Hey, numbnuts, if you got a "full ride", why didn't you take it?

And more to the point -- if you didn't take it, why are you bragging about it?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Ryan Bell (A Year Without God) has has an article about Carson and his SDA faith. Bell was SDA so I found his perspective interesting.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP