Benzo Blues.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Benzo Blues.
In the 60s the benzodiazepine tranquillizer drugs replaced the barbiturates which were killing people, especially when mixed with alcohol.The first of these: chlordiazepoxide (librium) came on the market in 1960. Today, like the barbiturates, the problems associated with these drugs are causing serious social issues.
While of benefit for serious anxiety for two to four weeks, longer use of benzos, because of their highly addictive nature, means that ever increasing doses are required to obtain the original sense of relaxation. This, combined with a very long and unpleasant withdrawal syndrome needs to be heeded.
Currently there are round 30 different types available in the U.S.A. and U.K. ranging from the highly sedating sleepers, such as rohypnol to the muscle and mind relaxant diazepam (valium). Much recent controversy has occurred relevant to the dangers of Xanax, one of the more recent types.
These drugs temporarily alleviate anxiety in the short term but create dependence and on going misery. They cure nothing, simply masking symptoms;further, the whole situation will be worsened by combining alcohol and anti -depressants.
I speak from three decades of experiencing the sick roller coaster ride these drugs produce, the two year taper it took me to get off them, and the 15 months of clean time I now enjoy. It is well worth seeking out safer means and to be forewarned may well save you a lot of misery
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2014, 03:54 PM
RE: Benzo Blues.
(05-10-2014 01:48 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  In the 60s the benzodiazepine tranquillizer drugs replaced the barbiturates which were killing people, especially when mixed with alcohol.The first of these: chlordiazepoxide (librium) came on the market in 1960. Today, like the barbiturates, the problems associated with these drugs are causing serious social issues.
While of benefit for serious anxiety for two to four weeks, longer use of benzos, because of their highly addictive nature, means that ever increasing doses are required to obtain the original sense of relaxation. This, combined with a very long and unpleasant withdrawal syndrome needs to be heeded.
Currently there are round 30 different types available in the U.S.A. and U.K. ranging from the highly sedating sleepers, such as rohypnol to the muscle and mind relaxant diazepam (valium). Much recent controversy has occurred relevant to the dangers of Xanax, one of the more recent types.
These drugs temporarily alleviate anxiety in the short term but create dependence and on going misery. They cure nothing, simply masking symptoms;further, the whole situation will be worsened by combining alcohol and anti -depressants.
I speak from three decades of experiencing the sick roller coaster ride these drugs produce, the two year taper it took me to get off them, and the 15 months of clean time I now enjoy. It is well worth seeking out safer means and to be forewarned may well save you a lot of misery

Rather than start another thread I thought I'd write a bit more here.
Anti depressants too, are not without controversy.
Personally I have found some of them to work well, but there may well be
distinct dis advantages over the long term. New evidence shows some to be addictive.
The first anti depressant to be developed (it was made from discarded German rocket fuel) was later claimed to be a MAOI or monoamine oxidase inhibitor. It was given experimentally to T.B. sufferers who became surprisingly cheery. This was in the 50s. This particular form of drug, still used today, can cause a hypertensive crisis unless certain dietary restraints are adhered to.
Today there are many meds to treat depression the most popular perhaps being the SSRIs which are said to increased the brains good feel serotonin levels. A French version is said to decrease serotonin which tends to be a bit confusing.
It is claimed by at least one prominent American psychiatrist that anti depressant action is round 90% placebo and that the dangers often outweigh the benefits.
The fact that this doctor represents addicts charged with all manner of offences, who blame their prescribed drug may well weaken this argument however.
More important perhaps is the contention that anti depressant simply patch over core issues without resolving them. This may be obviated to some degree with talk therapy, though many cannot afford such. It may well be prudent to consider life style and issues before engaging in any long term medications in this area...
24-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Jimi Hendrix might still be around if it weren't for barbiturate sleeping pills.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't be around if it weren't for benzos. Now I'm really in a worrisome spot. I know they prevented my suicide, so now (psychologically) is very difficult to stop taking them. In fact, considering not taking them causes a panic attack. Not cool.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-10-2014, 03:19 PM
(24-10-2014 11:34 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I wouldn't be around if it weren't for benzos. Now I'm really in a worrisome spot. I know they prevented my suicide, so now (psychologically) is very difficult to stop taking them. In fact, considering not taking them causes a panic attack. Not cool.

The withdrawal syndrome can be quite long and unpleasant.
Took me two years, which was probably over long.
Not a fun way to live life as once they become ineffective
we need more and more, often to just prevent feeling ill.
Quite a vicious circle, as you say>'not cool'.
24-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I've only been on them for a few months. My doc seemed to think that the risk of addiction is fairly low if they are used short term (going through a lot of surgeries and life changing shit, but there's an end in sight and that's wnphen I was planning to go off them) What's your experience with benzos used for short periods?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-10-2014, 04:34 PM
(24-10-2014 03:30 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I've only been on them for a few months. My doc seemed to think that the risk of addiction is fairly low if they are used short term (going through a lot of surgeries and life changing shit, but there's an end in sight and that's wnphen I was planning to go off them) What's your experience with benzos used for short periods?
I was on them for 35 years.
Mainly relatively small doses, more when I occasionally did a bit of public speaking.
Six to eight weeks is generally looked on as the absolute max.
A slow taper is the way to go: long term is the pits.
As an occasional reprieve they may be O.K.
25-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I'll be candid here and say that I, similar to Stark Raving, probably wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Xanax. As the good ol' Catholic church used to say: abusus no tollit usum (misuse does not negate proper use).

But, you guys are right on the point that abuse, in the case of these kinds and many other kinds of prescription drugs, usually sneaks up on people. So, a word of warning isn't a bad idea.

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
25-11-2014, 02:43 PM
(25-10-2014 09:42 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  I'll be candid here and say that I, similar to Stark Raving, probably wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Xanax. As the good ol' Catholic church used to say: abusus no tollit usum (misuse does not negate proper use).

But, you guys are right on the point that abuse, in the case of these kinds and many other kinds of prescription drugs, usually sneaks up on people. So, a word of warning isn't a bad idea.

Exactly!
Long term benzo abuse, along with the minimal benefits, may see the user become ever further enmeshed in abusing her own body.
Counselling, such as CBT, may teach life style skills and resolve the inner tensions that cause the needs for such drugs in the first place..