Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 03:54 AM
Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2016, 04:00 AM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
(07-03-2016 03:54 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Land of the free and home of the brave.Huh

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
07-03-2016, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 07:59 AM by yakherder.)
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
He realized he needs the non white vote to beat Hillary. Disagreements aside, I actually kind of like Bernie as a person. It's almost sad to watch someone who, a short time ago, was something of an independent who had his own thoughts and his own stances on topics now being transformed into just another politician who will adopt whatever agenda it takes to win the party over. In the end, just another politician.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
07-03-2016, 04:24 AM
Can't comment on much but he really missed it when he say that you don't know how it is to be poor when you're white. Other countries aside I suspect that not all whites in USA are wealthy or middle class, so part of population do know how it is to be poor. Using such rhetoric is shooting oneself in the foot I would say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Bit of a stretch there Bern. While the black poverty rate in the US is 2.6 times the white poverty rate, but with 20.6 million whites living in poverty here that is still more than twice the number of blacks living in poverty here at 10.2 million.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
07-03-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm feeling the Bern. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Intriguing that both the video title and the thread title go for a headline-grabbing sound-bite rather than addressing the main point of his little rant.

Had either title been:

Sanders Pledges To Reform The Broken Criminal Justice System.

... would anyone here complain?

Cos for where I'm standing, it sure looks broken to me.

Consider

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
07-03-2016, 07:44 AM
(07-03-2016 07:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Intriguing that both the video title and the thread title go for a headline-grabbing sound-bite rather than addressing the main point of his little rant.

Had either title been:

Sanders Pledges To Reform The Broken Criminal Justice System.

... would anyone here complain?

Cos for where I'm standing, it sure looks broken to me.

Consider

It is broken.

But some people take it as disrespectful to tell poor white people who live in the ghetto, that they don't know what it's like to be poor and live in the ghetto. Crime and poverty go hand in hand. Is it possible that the police are mostly biased against people in poverty? And that there's a disproportionate number of minorities in poverty? That wouldn't be an irrational bias, but rather one based on statistics. Sure, there are definitely racist cops and judges, but Bernie just went too far with his generalizations. Perhaps it was just poor word choice in the moment, I'm certainly guilty of not always choosing the words that best represent my opinions.
07-03-2016, 07:56 AM
(07-03-2016 06:50 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Bit of a stretch there Bern. While the black poverty rate in the US is 2.6 times the white poverty rate, but with 20.6 million whites living in poverty here that is still more than twice the number of blacks living in poverty here at 10.2 million.

I would say that anyone living in the USA in the 21st century does not know what poor means. I live in the Dominican Republic on my Social Security of just about $1000.00 USD a month. My income is higher than 80 per cent of the Dominicans. And a lot of them are extremely poor. No food stamps available very little other assistance form the government, some of them do get a slight stipend for mothers with dependent children which consists of an ATM card which is charged with about $38 a month plus another card which is used to pay for propane for cooking. This card was started because the government did not want the forests all cut down for cooking fuel as happened on the other side of the island in Haiti. This card is worth about $12.00 in American money. These people know what poor is. How many Americans white or not white do? I would guess that not even 4 thousand in the entire USA.
[+] 6 users Like DerFish's post
07-03-2016, 08:12 AM
(07-03-2016 07:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ...
but Bernie just went too far with his generalizations.

That tactic seems to be working for Trump.

Young Bernie needs headlines... cool move.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post