Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
Bernie, you never saw this pic?

[Image: migrant-mother.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
07-03-2016, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 08:22 AM by yakherder.)
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
(07-03-2016 07:56 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 06:50 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Bit of a stretch there Bern. While the black poverty rate in the US is 2.6 times the white poverty rate, but with 20.6 million whites living in poverty here that is still more than twice the number of blacks living in poverty here at 10.2 million.

I would say that anyone living in the USA in the 21st century does not know what poor means. I live in the Dominican Republic on my Social Security of just about $1000.00 USD a month. My income is higher than 80 per cent of the Dominicans. And a lot of them are extremely poor. No food stamps available very little other assistance form the government, some of them do get a slight stipend for mothers with dependent children which consists of an ATM card which is charged with about $38 a month plus another card which is used to pay for propane for cooking. This card was started because the government did not want the forests all cut down for cooking fuel as happened on the other side of the island in Haiti. This card is worth about $12.00 in American money. These people know what poor is. How many Americans white or not white do? I would guess that not even 4 thousand in the entire USA.

I won't argue against your point as a whole. I agree that most Americans are so far removed from what poverty really is that, without first-hand experience of an adequate comparison, they live quite well by global standards and still genuinely believe they're poor. The main point, however, which you also touched on, is that poverty as it is defined here, and nowhere else, is something experienced by all races. The ratio to which it is experienced is an issue, but there are nonetheless white people who have experienced poverty.

That said, given our large immigrant population, I think you'd be surprised how many there are here who have experienced the kind of poverty you're referring to. I personally know people ranging from Sudanese refugees who came here to escape genocide to people like my ex wife who lived a fairly typical life on the Chinese countryside, where the $80 per month she made working at KFC after moving to the city dwarfed anything her family could have made back home. Now, living in the states, making about $16 per hour, she could easily support her family back home with a fraction of her paycheck and allow them to live at a much higher standard than they're accustomed to.

My own family has its roots with German Russians who fled to the US in the midst of the Bolshevik Revolution. To say they were poor as shit would be an understatement.

Probably not a huge portion of the population fits into something resembling my the above examples, but in a country of more than 300 million I'd guess the number is more like a few dozen million than 4,000 Smile

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2016, 09:44 AM
I don't know. I listen to it, and what I hear is "your average white person doesn't know what it's like to-", not "No white person ever has had it bad". Sure, he could have worded it better, but if you're going to go around interpreting everything people say in the worst possible light, you're going to hear some "dumb" things.
[+] 8 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-03-2016, 09:53 AM
(07-03-2016 07:56 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 06:50 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Bit of a stretch there Bern. While the black poverty rate in the US is 2.6 times the white poverty rate, but with 20.6 million whites living in poverty here that is still more than twice the number of blacks living in poverty here at 10.2 million.

I would say that anyone living in the USA in the 21st century does not know what poor means. I live in the Dominican Republic on my Social Security of just about $1000.00 USD a month. My income is higher than 80 per cent of the Dominicans. And a lot of them are extremely poor. No food stamps available very little other assistance form the government, some of them do get a slight stipend for mothers with dependent children which consists of an ATM card which is charged with about $38 a month plus another card which is used to pay for propane for cooking. This card was started because the government did not want the forests all cut down for cooking fuel as happened on the other side of the island in Haiti. This card is worth about $12.00 in American money. These people know what poor is. How many Americans white or not white do? I would guess that not even 4 thousand in the entire USA.

You'd be wrong. The UN defines extreme poverty as someone living on less than $2 per day. That number is usually associated with people in developing countries not places like the US where the cost of living is much higher. If $2 per day per person is poor in sub-Sahara Africa, it's even poorer in the US.

According to a 2011 study by H. Luke Shaefer of the University of Michigan and Kathryn Edin of Johns Hopkins there were 1.65 million families in the US living below that line as defined by the UN. Even when you factor in non cash subsidies such as food stamps and housing vouchers (which the UN doesn't) there were still more than 600,000 families in the US living on less than $2 per day per person.

Yes, many of the US's poor have a higher standard of living than poor people in developing countries. Most here have a roof over their heads, electricity and running water. Many have color televisions, cell phones and cars. That doesn't mean a significant portion of the population have considerably less up to and including not enough food to eat.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
07-03-2016, 09:56 AM
(07-03-2016 09:44 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ...
Sure, he could have worded it better, but if you're going to go around interpreting everything people say in the worst possible light, you're going to hear some "dumb" things.

Wasn't that the very point that Vosur was making (in a earlier thread) about some of Trump's comments?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-03-2016, 10:00 AM
(07-03-2016 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Wasn't that the very point that Vosur was making (in a earlier thread) about some of Trump's comments?
TIL that literally quoting the man in the title as far as the character limit allows (complain to DeepThought about that) constitutes "interpreting." I didn't say a single word about my views regarding this video. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
07-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Quote:Cos for where I'm standing, it sure looks broken to me.

Depends on your point-of-view. I'm sure the corporate pricks who are raking in money hand over fist running private prisons don't see it that way. For them, and the cops and judges and politicians and racists it is working just fine!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
07-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Context is important. However he probably could have worded it better.

People are trying to make it sound like something its not. We all know hes bright and the best candidate for the job. Muffs kitty was right, america deserves whatever they elect this time around. I hope we deserve him.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-03-2016, 11:48 AM
He's right, and he's wrong. I've had hard times in my life, eating one vegetarian meal a day for four days so that I could save the meat I had for the three days I had my son in my custody. I've lived in ghettos. He's certainly got that part wrong.

I have an easier time with police than any minority I know. I would get hassled sometimes when I had long hair, or when I was living in a ghetto (a minority there, they singled me out), but I know for a fact that my experiences pale in comparison to my brother-in-law's experiences as a black male in America, which is what I think is Bernie's big point in that video.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-03-2016, 11:56 AM
(07-03-2016 10:00 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Wasn't that the very point that Vosur was making (in a earlier thread) about some of Trump's comments?
TIL that literally quoting the man in the title as far as the character limit allows (complain to DeepThought about that) constitutes "interpreting." I didn't say a single word about my views regarding this video. Consider

So, you're just saying "you're just saying"? No actual thoughts on your own post?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post