Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 01:37 AM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"dsds
(08-03-2016 12:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 06:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What? You know that doesn't mean that WAS the question.

[...]

Do you watch these channels more than before or politics. They don't always nor often put the exact question asked on screen they make up an assumptional summarization of the question or idea being at hand. Which doesn't always equate the same thing. When you segment information in clips that video clip creators do, you don't have a full reason to trust cnn's ticker line.
Yeah, except in this case, it was a verbatim quote, not an 'assumptional summarization'. Watch.

(07-03-2016 06:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Just like your quote is literally not something said. It's not "literally quoting the man in the title" because it just isn't literally that.
Are you disputing that Bernie Sanders said "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"? Because we have video evidence that he said just that. I would have included the full quote where he mentions the part about ghettos in the title, but like I said, it's not my fault that DeepThought put such a strict character limit on thread titles. Tongue

Yes because he clearly as day didn't say that within the video evidence. You know maybe there are other language tools one may use to express cutting out bits of dialogue to express cutting out a bit of dialogue. What was that, hmm ... it ain't a comma; It's an ellipses. And according to my data seeing on it, you could of used 5 or 8 more character spots. Even all you needed to make it accurate was 2 more character marks, hell taking out the quote marks could of solved that one.

While this isn't something I would of pointed out before you even doubled down on it's innacuracy by saying you were literally quoting the man in the title to the character limit allowed. Just not grammar efficient is what it is I say I say Smartass

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2016, 01:39 AM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
(07-03-2016 04:23 AM)yakherder Wrote:  He realized he needs the non white vote to beat Hillary. Disagreements aside, I actually kind of like Bernie as a person. It's almost sad to watch someone who, a short time ago, was something of an independent who had his own thoughts and his own stances on topics now being transformed into just another politician who will adopt whatever agenda it takes to win the party over. In the end, just another politician.

To enact change you first need to get into office.
I would rather someone tow the party line half the time if that is the price it costs for them to get half their change, compared to the alternative of having zero of their change.

"In the end, just another politician." is a stupid statement towards politics.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-03-2016, 01:53 AM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
(08-03-2016 01:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes because he clearly as day didn't say that within the video evidence.
What? If somebody says "I want to buy some tomatoes, some onions and some cheese" and I quote him as saying "I want to buy some onions", I'm not misquoting him or taking him out of context. Bernie did say that white people don't know what it's like to be poor and he also said that white people don't know what it's like to be in a ghetto. Highlighting one item from a list of things (while also providing a video with the full list) does not mean that he magically didn't say those words.

(08-03-2016 01:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You know maybe there are other language tools one may use to express cutting out bits of dialogue to express cutting out a bit of dialogue. What was that, hmm ... it ain't a comma; It's an ellipses. And according to my data seeing on it, you could of used 5 or 8 more character spots. Even all you needed to make it accurate was 2 more character marks, hell taking out the quote marks could of solved that one.

While this isn't something I would of pointed out before you even doubled down on it's innacuracy by saying you were literally quoting the man in the title to the character limit allowed. Just not grammar efficient is what it is I say I say Smartass
You want to get into a pissing contest with the resident Grammar Nazi? Have at it.

*it's
*ellipsis
*could have
*could have
*would have
*its
*inaccuracy

Smartass Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
08-03-2016, 01:57 AM
(08-03-2016 01:53 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 01:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes because he clearly as day didn't say that within the video evidence.
What? If somebody says "I want to buy some tomatoes, some onions and some cheese" and I quote him as saying "I want to buy some onions", I'm not misquoting him or taking him out of context. Bernie did say that white people don't know what it's like to be poor and he also said that white people don't know what it's like to be in a ghetto. Highlighting one item from a list of things (while also providing a video with the full list) does not mean that he magically didn't say those words.

(08-03-2016 01:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You know maybe there are other language tools one may use to express cutting out bits of dialogue to express cutting out a bit of dialogue. What was that, hmm ... it ain't a comma; It's an ellipses. And according to my data seeing on it, you could of used 5 or 8 more character spots. Even all you needed to make it accurate was 2 more character marks, hell taking out the quote marks could of solved that one.

You want to get into a pissing contest with the resident Grammar Nazi? Have at it.

*it's
*ellipsis
*could have
*could have
*would have
*its
*inaccuracy

Smartass Tongue

"What, magically say those words" isn't a literal reflection of what you said.

Just not grammar efficient is what it is i say i say isn't a complete sentence I-ther.

08-03-2016, 04:23 AM
Fuck Bernie. He's a cunt.

I live on far below what the fucking government calls "poverty level" ---

and political twats like Bernie don't want to spend all sorts of money courting MY vote.......

Guess why??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-03-2016, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 10:33 AM by ClydeLee.)
(08-03-2016 04:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fuck Bernie. He's a cunt.

and political twats like Bernie don't want to spend all sorts of money courting MY vote.......

Guess why??

He's actually pretty much after your type of people right now, today. You're close to the demographic of people I saw them talking about with michigan voters in the 08 primary that they deem voted for Hilary over Obama last time... because you know black man apparently, or so some say. Though that region of white michiganians who are pro gun and all that, not wealthy, not directly one side, and such is pretty much folks they've been targeting to today Big Grin There actually was a good sort of money spent on that.

[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-03-2016, 09:05 AM
(07-03-2016 04:24 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Can't comment on much but he really missed it when he say that you don't know how it is to be poor when you're white. Other countries aside I suspect that not all whites in USA are wealthy or middle class, so part of population do know how it is to be poor. Using such rhetoric is shooting oneself in the foot I would say.

I don't think that's what he meant in context, he meant that white people don't know what it's like to a poor and black, to grow up in the projects, to experience the sort of harassment faced by black men and women in the US. The stereotypes and prejudices that affect every day black lives.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
08-03-2016, 09:06 AM
(08-03-2016 04:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fuck Bernie. He's a cunt.

Guess why??

Because the poor white male vote has already gone to Donald Trump.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-03-2016, 10:11 AM
(08-03-2016 12:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I watched the video and I agree with Bernie. White people are poor and experience poverty but they still have the advantage of being white which brings with it a slight glimmer of hope and opportunities that are often unavailable to black people. To be poor is one thing, but to be black and poor with the added burden of racism is another ballgame.

^^This^^.
In context, I think he was adressing "white privilege" ... which not a lot of people are even willing to admit is a reality.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Dear Bernie, I can remember having potatoes for three meals a day, seven days a week. We weren't any better off than our neighbors.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user