Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 01:48 PM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
(10-03-2016 01:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  While the rest of us the 80%, shoulder about 16%. So to imagine our society to be one in which the wealthy don't contribute a significant share, is a myth. They seem to hold more than their weight here.

Absolute percentages are misleading. It fails to account for the marginal utility of money and the law of diminishing returns.

Pfft. Actually considering context? Nuance, even? Get out.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
10-03-2016, 03:44 PM
RE: Bernie Sanders: "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor"
(10-03-2016 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  While the rest of us the 80%, shoulder about 16%. So to imagine our society to be one in which the wealthy don't contribute a significant share, is a myth. They seem to hold more than their weight here.

Absolute percentages are misleading. It fails to account for the marginal utility of money and the law of diminishing returns.

Money, like armies, relies upon the principle of mass in order to achieve the mission effectively.
10-03-2016, 04:00 PM

No one is just "rich". All fortunes, great and small (and economic well-being) are inextricably tied to so many many underlying factors, and countless unseen contributions. Civil order, paved streets, transparent (haha) banking systems, etc etc. Great wealth should entail GREATER contributions from the holders, and they NEED and use the systems more which allow it's accumulation, preservation and protections.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-03-2016, 05:36 PM
(07-03-2016 03:54 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Seem to me his statement is in direct reply to the quote from the black woman. He may have worded it better I think.

Personally I think this guy is America's last hope on the global scale. Hillary will anger the muslims due to being female. Trump will totally destroy America's reputation. The country is already disrespected for being naval gazing and ignorant of the world at large.

(There's a story here in Australia of an American drummer who was supposed to tour Australia who went to Europe thinking that is where Australia is. I've read the email exchanges. Hilarious!)

It is unlikely Bernie will start any new wars. One cannot claim the same of either Hillary or Trump.

Midnight oil had it right.

The story of El Salvador, the silence of Hiroshima
Destruction of Cambodia short memory

Short memory, must have a, short memory

The sight of hotels by the Nile, the designated Hilton style
With running water specially bought short memory
A smallish man Afghanistan, a watch dog in a nervous land
They're only there to lend a hand short memory
Wake up in sweat at dead of night
And in the tents new rifles hey short memory

If you read the history books you'll see the same things happen again and again
Repeat repeat short memory they've all got it
When are we going to play it again
Got a short, got a short, got a short, got a short

America needs, at least in my opinion, to focus on itself. Stop creating military bases worldwide that are leading the country to bankruptcy, focus on it's own problems, the pathetic health system for example, and repair.

Someone in my American war thread claimed America won the Cold War. I disagree. How much money does America owe China??? China won that war. They are still winning and increasing their gains. Meanwhile America is heading toward being a land of favelas.

Of course it is far more complex than one can go into in one post.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-03-2016, 05:51 PM
He's just sucking up to non-whites. Polls show he's not doing well with them

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-03-2016, 05:56 PM
(10-03-2016 05:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He's just sucking up to non-whites. Polls show he's not doing well with them

Then we're all fucked.

Short memory.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
10-03-2016, 07:12 PM
We'll be involved in global conflicts either way. Regardless of what he thinks or claims to think, he'll change his tune once he has access to the same information as Hillary does. The question isn't whether or not we'll be involved, but the nature of involvement. Would he be for sending conventional ground troops like Bush, air strikes like everyone in the world, drones like Obama, surgical strikes by special ops like everyone in the world, proxy wars like other presidents, China, Russia, and Britain, etc. More than one way to skin a jihadi goat, depending on the desired level of exposure.

I don't really feel like getting into a debate on it, but it's not really necessary. Just sit back and watch Popcorn

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-03-2016, 08:05 PM
(10-03-2016 07:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We'll be involved in global conflicts either way. Regardless of what he thinks or claims to think, he'll change his tune once he has access to the same information as Hillary does. The question isn't whether or not we'll be involved, but the nature of involvement. Would he be for sending conventional ground troops like Bush, air strikes like everyone in the world, drones like Obama, surgical strikes by special ops like everyone in the world, proxy wars like other presidents, China, Russia, and Britain, etc. More than one way to skin a jihadi goat, depending on the desired level of exposure.

I don't really feel like getting into a debate on it, but it's not really necessary. Just sit back and watch Popcorn

Of course you will.

America Has Been At War 93% of the Time – 222 Out of 239 Years – Since 1776

Banjo.
10-03-2016, 08:29 PM
(10-03-2016 08:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 07:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We'll be involved in global conflicts either way. Regardless of what he thinks or claims to think, he'll change his tune once he has access to the same information as Hillary does. The question isn't whether or not we'll be involved, but the nature of involvement. Would he be for sending conventional ground troops like Bush, air strikes like everyone in the world, drones like Obama, surgical strikes by special ops like everyone in the world, proxy wars like other presidents, China, Russia, and Britain, etc. More than one way to skin a jihadi goat, depending on the desired level of exposure.

Of course you will.

America Has Been At War 93% of the Time – 222 Out of 239 Years – Since 1776

17 years wasted Sad

'Murican Canadian
10-03-2016, 10:47 PM
(09-03-2016 08:53 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 08:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I won't argue against your point as a whole. I agree that most Americans are so far removed from what poverty really is that, without first-hand experience of an adequate comparison, they live quite well by global standards and still genuinely believe they're poor. The main point, however, which you also touched on, is that poverty as it is defined here, and nowhere else, is something experienced by all races. The ratio to which it is experienced is an issue, but there are nonetheless white people who have experienced poverty.

That said, given our large immigrant population, I think you'd be surprised how many there are here who have experienced the kind of poverty you're referring to. I personally know people ranging from Sudanese refugees who came here to escape genocide to people like my ex wife who lived a fairly typical life on the Chinese countryside, where the $80 per month she made working at KFC after moving to the city dwarfed anything her family could have made back home. Now, living in the states, making about $16 per hour, she could easily support her family back home with a fraction of her paycheck and allow them to live at a much higher standard than they're accustomed to.

My own family has its roots with German Russians who fled to the US in the midst of the Bolshevik Revolution. To say they were poor as shit would be an understatement.

Probably not a huge portion of the population fits into something resembling my the above examples, but in a country of more than 300 million I'd guess the number is more like a few dozen million than 4,000 Smile

I grew up poor relative to the rest of most of Americans. My parents both grew up poorer than I did. My grandparents, more still. My grandmother told me she remembered after getting out of the the great depression, and they had enough food to keep their belly full that the politicians came; and was using people like her to illustrate how poor people of my area really was. She said that's the first time she found out they were poor. She didn't know, and no one had informed her. If you don't know that you are poor, are you still poor? They didn't have cars, or indoor plumbing, or a kitchen connected to the house. Most didn't get to finish elementary and high school because they had to drop out to work the farm, as my grandpa did. He graduated the 3rd grade. No one is America is really "poor". No one is starving unless they want to starve. Some people have it better than others, sure. That isn't dependant on race. And if you don't think there are white ghettos you have not seen what I have seen. If you think people that are white are precluded from being poor, even if they work hard you have not lived where I have lived. If you think that being white protects you from adopting a lifetime of crime to make ends meet, you do not know what I know. Of course there are racists. There are white racists, and black racists. There are groups of people that get treated unfairly. I have a feeling Arab Americans face more discrimination than Blacks though.

My mother lived in a tiny town in the southwestern part of Minnesota as a child. She told me about taking a lunch to school where the contents of her sandwich was mustard, and nothing else. That "wanting to starve" you claim is a complete fallacy. There are situations where there isn't enough to eat, and they abound. She also told me about how the walls of the bedroom she shared with her sister had ice on them, because her dad had to go throw a log into the wood burning stove, but was too tired to do so. I endured many a cold, wet night as a child, because we were so poor that the gas had been turned off due to non-payment. Truth is, with the privation I suffered as a child, I am a living example of the robustness of the human being.