Best Album Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2015, 06:31 PM
RE: Best Album Ever?
Aja - Steely Dan

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
08-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Nobody gives enough fucks about prog-metal here, but whatever, has to be done.

Catch Thirty-Three, a song that is so long that it needs to be an album. 47 minutes of polyrythyms, odd time signatures and heavy as fuck grooves. And the one of the best atmospheric endings to any album, down below.

Sorry DLJ (and to my dad), I love The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and old Genesis in general, but the greatest concept album IMO is Scenes from a Memory. Basically the album that brought progressive music back on the map.

And just for the hell of it, Liquid Tension Experiment II. 0:46; Rudess kicks ass.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
08-04-2015, 02:23 PM
(01-04-2015 08:26 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Don't make me choose!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3BE1AB499180E489

Sorry dude, but Symbolic is the best of the progressive albums. I mean, I fucking love Perseverance and Christy, but you know, it doesn't have 1:22:

And after you've seen Aquiles play the title track, well...

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
08-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks for posting Symbolic. It was a very close call.
S. never quite leaves the vicinity of my car player... Whether Perseverance or Symbolic depends on my mood and the alignment of the planets. Symbolic has more of an old school sound to me.

Thanks for the drum video, I love watching that, I just have to get used to the vocalist Tongue

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 02:49 PM
(08-04-2015 02:40 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Thanks for posting Symbolic. It was a very close call.
S. never quite leaves the vicinity of my car player... Whether Perseverance or Symbolic depends on my mood and the alignment of the planets. Symbolic has more of an old school sound to me.

Thanks for the drum video, I love watching that, I just have to get used to the vocalist Tongue

Hangar is a good band, you should give em a listen. Colorblind is a fucking crazy song. I promise you, 2:26 will make you do this
[Image: brian-griffin-jaw-drop-o.gif]

08-04-2015, 02:51 PM
(08-04-2015 02:49 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:40 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Thanks for posting Symbolic. It was a very close call.

Hangar is a good band, you should give em a listen. Colorblind is a fucking crazy song. I promise you, 2:26 will make you do this
[Image: brian-griffin-jaw-drop-o.gif]

They don't Aquiles an octopus for nothing

08-04-2015, 03:00 PM
(08-04-2015 02:14 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Nobody gives enough fucks about prog-metal here, but whatever, has to be done.

I used to be a big DT fan, but I grew a bit disenchanted with them in the past ten years, maybe because I gravitated more towards death metal anyways.

Concerning prog-rock/death, I posted Opeth's Blackwater Part upthread, but thinking about it, I think Still Life has that special something that nudges it above BP, and one could think of it as a concept album of sorts. It also has a special place in my heart as it was my first Opeth album.

For sheer jazzy tech death hilarity, and because it fits this forum perfectly, I'd like to post this one as well:

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 03:07 PM
(08-04-2015 03:00 PM)Alex K Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:14 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Nobody gives enough fucks about prog-metal here, but whatever, has to be done.

I used to be a big DT fan, but I grew a bit disenchanted with them in the past ten years, maybe because I gravitated more towards death metal anyways.

Concerning prog-rock/death, I posted Opeth's Blackwater Part upthread, but thinking about it, I think Still Life has that special something that nudges it above BP, and one could think of it as a concept album of sorts. It also has a special place in my heart as it was my first Opeth album.

For sheer jazzy tech death hilarity, and because it fits this forum perfectly, I'd like to post this one as well:

I had the chance to catch Opeth live at a MetalTown 2012, but I was both sick and only focused on the getting the front row for the Slayer gig. I don't know too much of them and they're not really on my listening list for the forseeable future. Time will tell.

Have heard about Atheist though. Cool fellows.

Don't think DT will wear off on me. They fill a gap, or maybe a canyon of music that isn't JUST heavy. My "top" 6 list (nobody is bigger than the other) is Slayer, Deicide, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Meshuggah and Death. The rest of the Big Four, Sepultura, Testament, Exodus, Pantera and Cannibal Corpse are around, but haven't listened to them so much they belong on the top list.

08-04-2015, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 03:21 PM by Alex K.)
Did Opeth play their older heavy stuff on that gig or just promote the new prog rock albums?

Meshuggah gets kudos from me for having produced the coolest music vid ever. What do you think of the "German big three or four" of thrash, especially Kreator?

I think I've again forgotten my greatest hero in metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgtScsVUg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59La4jsOjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQsuagpSDtM

Again very hard to choose. The new one is already a classic in my eyes, let's see how it holds up.

10-04-2015, 04:28 AM
(08-04-2015 03:15 PM)Alex K Wrote:  What do you think of the "German big three or four" of thrash, especially Kreator?

I'll answer this question in this thread:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ers-thread

I always feel quilty if I derail another thread too much.