Best Christian music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Best Christian music
Believe it or not, Christians are capable of making quality music. They tend to appeal to the market by making their lyrics ambiguous (Creed, Skillet, Flyleaf, Evanescence) and refraining from saying "God" but instead refer to places "up there" and using lyrics about god that could just as easily be about a lover.

But the music is still music. And good music about God is still good music.

So here's a couple of my favorites:

This one's twice as epic because of FFX

And this one was a band I listened to when I was a Christian youth. I still have the cassette tape.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2011, 11:59 AM
RE: Best Christian music
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here, but you're not much of a pop music fan are you? No hidden backstreet boys cassettes hidden under the old bed BC?

I never knew As I Lay Dying was Christian. I don't listen to them, but I have heard them before.

I agree that good music is good music period, but it almost seems backwards to have hard rock that's also christian rock. Not that it's a bad thing, just odd. http://youtu.be/2-WJO0YQLOs

I'd just put the video in, but I am too computer illiterate to know how.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-06-2011, 01:42 AM

(24-06-2011 10:45 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Believe it or not, Christians are capable of making quality music. They tend to appeal to the market by making their lyrics ambiguous (Creed, Skillet, Flyleaf, Evanescence) and refraining from saying "God" but instead refer to places "up there" and using lyrics about god that could just as easily be about a lover.
I really don't know what to make of your comment concerning Christian music. Mainly because it's a insight that most Christians fail to notice. This trend permeates more than Christian music though, go into any Christian book store and what you'll find are books like "The Purpose Driven Life", "7 Steps to Financial Success" or "Your Best Life Now". Christendom, for a lack of a better term, has been repackage for a consumer driven society. Just turn on TBN, "for a love gift of $50 you'll receive this brass 10 commandment paper weight" or the ever popular "if you sow a seed of $1000 dollars the Lord will pay you back tenfold!"

Anyways most of the corporations that produce Christian books, music and paraphernalia are secular and are just turning a buck. It's a multi-dollar industry with no end in sight. Jesus said "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" No He'll find so called Christian radio stations playing the positive alternative with groups like Creed, Skillet, and Flyleaf. Great insight BC, sorry if I derailed the thread. Confused
Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2011, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2011 12:01 AM by Efrx86.)
(24-06-2011 10:45 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Believe it or not, Christians are capable of making quality music. They tend to appeal to the market by making their lyrics ambiguous (Creed, Skillet, Flyleaf, Evanescence) and refraining from saying "God" but instead refer to places "up there" and using lyrics about god that could just as easily be about a lover.

South Park did an episode parodying exactly that.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-epi...-rock-hard

If you don't wanna bother watching, here's a summary of the episode (spoilers): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Rock_Hard

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
30-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't really listen to christian music but my roommate recently got me into Deitrick Haddon's songs "Touch Me" and "The Greatest" I actually have his Church on the Moon CD, its pretty good Smile

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
21-04-2012, 12:53 PM
(Ducking Tongue )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
21-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Wait... Flyleaf, Evanescence and Creed are a christian band? Didn't know that.... Of course I don't care what the beliefs a band has or their classification. As pointed out, any song about god could be about a lover. Although I do find that kind of disturbing in a sense. As a note though, I still love some of Amy Grant's music--and I mean the actual no-question-religious ones. Just neat melodies and such at times.

But like with Flyleaf, if they're a christian band... the line "my tongue dances behind my lips for you" is not exactly what I'd envision being a god-human relationship type of thing. Funny.... something that makes me think of a darkmatter2525 video where god was wearing bows in his hair while with zeus.
21-04-2012, 01:30 PM

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
21-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Evanescence is not Christian. Though there was a BIG controversy over it.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/evanescence/biography.html

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Turkish Music Riqposso 11 804 13-08-2014 04:22 PM
Last Post: Riqposso
  Religious Music CiderThinker 22 278 29-07-2014 06:48 AM
Last Post: Walter
  Do you listen to any religious music? TheLogicalAthiest 5 98 22-07-2014 01:30 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  33 Days of Music Miss Suzanne 140 1,834 17-06-2014 05:01 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Indie Music Thread WeAreTheCosmos 64 1,193 07-06-2014 07:37 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  my music DawkinsFan420 1 98 04-06-2014 08:20 AM
Last Post: FreeThinker69
  Classical and Instrumental Music Thread Michael_Tadlock 14 223 29-05-2014 04:11 PM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock