Best Gift Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Best Gift Ever?
What's the best gift you've ever given and/or received?

Received: When I was little, my dad built me a dream doll house for Christmas. I still have it Tongue

Given: One year for an ex boyfriend's birthday, I planned a surprise trip to a remote cabin with a hot tub. Very romantic. I also attempted to bake him a cake. Things got fun and messy. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like jennybee's post
18-12-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Best Gift Ever?
I haven't owned a car since 1991, so I do grocery shopping, like everything else, on my bike. I used to just put stuff in my backpack. Sometimes I had to make multiple trips. A few years ago, a friend bought me a trailer that hooks onto the bike. This is certainly the most useful gift I've ever gotten. I don't know how I ever managed without it.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-12-2015, 12:28 PM
(18-12-2015 12:22 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I haven't owned a car since 1991, so I do grocery shopping, like everything else, on my bike. I used to just put stuff in my backpack. Sometimes I had to make multiple trips. A few years ago, a friend bought me a trailer that hooks onto the bike. This is certainly the most useful gift I've ever gotten. I don't know how I ever managed without it.

That is a good gift! Also awesome that you bike all over the place. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
18-12-2015, 12:31 PM
One of the best gifts I got was in highschool. My headphones broke and my classmate gave me his earbuds. Nobody had ever really given me anything for no reason so I was teary eyed and thanking him way too much.

A few months after we started dating, my girlfriend drew this picture of us (nude) holding each other (it's us standing, me drawn in blue, holding her from behind. She is drawn in pink.). When I look at it and imagine how she must have felt when she drew it.. it warms my heart.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
18-12-2015, 12:33 PM
My husband surprised me with a reservations for a weekend alone in a seaside town. It was after a few very tough months, and I was very appreciative.

I wouldn't know about gifts I have given. My son would probably say his iPhone, my father might say the reproductions of my son's paintings that I gave him last year.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
18-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Received: My twin girls, if they count. My wife went into labor late on Christmas Eve, and my daughters were born on Christmas day. If they don't count, then I guess it'd have to be an N64 when I was like 13. I mean it doesn't sound sentimental, but growing up with a lot of siblings, it meant that four of us could play at once. And I know how hard a time my mom had of getting it.

Given: This is harder... maybe the mother's ring I got my wife with the names of all our kids (even the one that isn't hers, but she considers hers). Or maybe a bunch of clothes that we got for our roommate one year because she lost most of hers. It meant a LOT to her. We practically consider her family. I know she didn't think she'd get anything for Christmas from anyone that year. So it meant a lot to her.
[+] 6 users Like Ash's post
18-12-2015, 12:35 PM
On another forum I frequent, an anonymous benefactor gave me a $20 amazon gift card via a moderator. This was just Tuesday, the same day my wife tells me that she is getting a needle biopsy for a 2.3cm mass in her thyroid on Christmas eve. Sometimes the timing of things is what matters most.
Another time I was rather poor and having a rough time, and I get this $106 check from my power company. It was the scheduled refund of my deposit, plus interest. I had no idea it was coming and just like that, it made me smile. It was coincidentally right around Christmas.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
18-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Oh that's a tough one.................

Given : This shows my age... way back when VHS video came out, I rented a video recorder for the family. I rented it for a year ( in those days we didn't own anything, even the TV was rented). We had many a great eveing watching bad quality crappy movies.

Received : My wife and stepson chipped in and bought me a 125 cc scooter. My father was very ill at the time and lived about 20 km away. I had no transport, and using public transport to visit my parents or the hospital was a nightmare. So it was the perfect gift.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 4 users Like Marozz's post
18-12-2015, 12:40 PM
When I was 15, I got the first gen Atari Console! I was so excited! Yes

But I also felt guilty because I cajoled my parents to get it even though it was much pricier (around $100) than they would've normally spent on a Christmas present. Undecided

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
18-12-2015, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2015 12:46 PM by Adrianime.)
Oh I didn't see there was a best gift given.

Hmm...I spent several weeks putting together and binding a "coupon" book full of things I would do for my gf. They involved massages, meals, day dates, special destinations, a cruise, and a mini vacation. I made about 50 coupons and there were different 3 sections, color-coded and using different paper for each section. Also included were two "golden ticket" coupons printed on zelda-esque gold paper. It was 100 percent handmade. I designed it, printed it, Cut the paper, made the cover, hole-punched and bound it (and I'm not an artsy person so this was a big effort haha). Other notable gifts to her include a cd with songs that marked different experiences in our relationship, and a scrapbook of our experiences together.

Not exactly a gift, but my mom helped me more than I intended for her to in my last year of college. When I got my first job out of college, the first thing I did was save up $10,000, and then surprise my mom with it saying I had $10,000 for her. It's probably the only time in my life I've seen her get teary eyed. And one of only 3 or 4 times I can think of that she has ever hugged me. She is used to her kids wanting stuff from her, but not used to being appreciated or getting something back from it, I guess.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post