Best Gift Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: Best Gift Ever?
Given:
I like to surprise my wife. In 2013 I started the bathroom remodel without her knowledge, and sprung it on her on my birthday just before Christmas. True, it was for both of us but the surprise part was for her.
I figured she'd never suspect it on my birthday. The plumber and I had been under the house and had also dug up the yard, rerouting all the plumbing in preparation. She gave me a new drill that morning and told me to be sure and use it Big Grin
We gutted the bathroom, tore out the sheetrock, cut out a wall, removed the subflooring and were standing in the dirt under the house in a few hours. The weekend before she was laying on the couch sick, watching home improvement shows. She decides that heated flooring would be nice when we remodel the bathroom. I had to make some changes in dimensions to allow for that.
I cut down the floor joists an sistered them with glue and screws, cut custom floor joists for under the walk in shower and had all the new subflooring down when she came home.
I had a crew of friends and neighbors involved and they were all waiting in the living room out of sight. She walks in with her friend (who was in on it too), and sees the missing wall and me standing in the gutted room, and drops the F-Bomb! Everybody starts laughing in the other room.
It took me another couple of months to finish it, but we had a good spare bathroom so no worries.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
18-12-2015, 12:52 PM
(18-12-2015 12:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh I didn't see there was a best gift given.

Hmm...I spent several weeks putting together and binding a "coupon" book full of things I would do for my gf. They involved massages, meals, day dates, special destinations, a cruise, and a mini vacation. I made about 50 coupons and there were different 3 sections, color-coded and using different paper for each section. Also included were two "golden ticket" coupons printed on zelda-esque gold paper. It was 100 percent handmade. I designed it, printed it, Cut the paper, made the cover, hole-punched and bound it (and I'm not an artsy person so this was a big effort haha). Other notable gifts to her include a cd with songs that marked different experiences in our relationship, and a scrapbook of our experiences together.

*swoon* Heart Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-12-2015, 12:53 PM
(18-12-2015 12:35 PM)skyking Wrote:  On another forum I frequent, an anonymous benefactor gave me a $20 amazon gift card via a moderator. This was just Tuesday, the same day my wife tells me that she is getting a needle biopsy for a 2.3cm mass in her thyroid on Christmas eve. Sometimes the timing of things is what matters most.
Another time I was rather poor and having a rough time, and I get this $106 check from my power company. It was the scheduled refund of my deposit, plus interest. I had no idea it was coming and just like that, it made me smile. It was coincidentally right around Christmas.

I hope your wife is doing okay. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I had no idea, so Tuesday was a shocker.I have to admit I'm scared.
18-12-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2015 01:02 PM by Commonsensei.)
Back in high School my friends and I had our own Christmas Party. It would be the last time we would be all together. They got me a drawing table that sits on your lap. I still us it to this day 16 years later. Every time I use it I think of them. And all the good times we shared.

Another was a much more personal gift. The first year we were dating my wife made me a blanket, from scrach. Sewed the fabrics and everything. I sleep with it all the time. It's falling apart, and she gets angry when I us it because all the seems are coming undone, but it's the only thing anyone's ever made me that didn't come prepackaged.

The best gift I ever gave was for the first 2 years I dated my wife, every date we went on I collected something from the loactin. Weather it be a napkin from a restaurant, a flower from a garden, or a brochure. I then put together a scrap book with photos we took on those dates. I left the last few pages blank. and told her these we're for the memories we have yet to fill. Any time any one comes over she pulls it out and gets real gitty over it.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 6 users Like Commonsensei's post
18-12-2015, 01:00 PM
(18-12-2015 12:55 PM)skyking Wrote:  I had no idea, so Tuesday was a shocker.I have to admit I'm scared.

I can't even imagine. I'm sure it is very scary. I hope everything turns out to be okay. Keep us posted. We'll be thinking of you guys. Heart
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-12-2015, 01:16 PM
The best gift I ever received was a "Mighty Metro Scaletrix" off my brother one Christmas. As a toy itself it was great and I played with it a lot but that's not what made it special. What made it special was I knew how much it cost (£60) as I had seen it in the Argos catalogue and I also knew that my brother only earned around £55 a week doing his YTS training job. I was only 8 yet I began to realise the sacrifice and thought that people go to. I just kept thinking "Wow, he has worked for a whole week and all the money he gets he has spent on me, when he could of spent it on himself"

The best gift I ever gave??? Nothing really springs to mind. I've put thought and feeling into them in the past but none of them have been special.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
18-12-2015, 01:26 PM
(18-12-2015 12:59 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The best gift I ever gave was for the first 2 years I dated my wife, every date we went on I collected something from the loactin. Weather it be a napkin from a restaurant, a flower from a garden, or a brochure. I then put together a scrap book with photos we took on those dates. I left the last few pages blank. and told her these we're for the memories we have yet to fill. Any time any one comes over she pulls it out and gets real gitty over it.

Awww so sweet Heart
18-12-2015, 01:27 PM
When I was a little kid, I got a foot tall Optimus Prime figure that'd transform into a truck n trailer rig, and I flipped out! Next thing I opened was another transformer!!! An original Megatron that transformed into a handgun! Gasp I cried with joy! Weeping Maybe pee'd myself a little! Laugh out load

Couple years ago, 'round x-mas time, I was at a GameStop buying a new controller for the X-box, and this kid came in with dollar bills, change, and a card, and wanted something. I heard the guy tell him he didn't have enough! I stopped him before he walked out and asked the cashier how much. It was like 29.99, so I bought it for him! Blush Let the kid have his Game Boy game! Thumbsup

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
18-12-2015, 01:29 PM
It's simple, but I actually like getting Amazon gift cards. That way if I haven't made up my mind (which happens often) it'll be easier to decide what I want to get, and I have more time to decide.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post