Best Gift Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 07:53 PM
RE: Best Gift Ever?
(18-12-2015 05:14 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 03:34 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Here's hoping all goes well. Smile

Thank you. My FIL was into draft horses and had a big belgian as his last. He grew up driving horses for work in the first part of the century. He always had something to drive as a hobby later. He drove canadian racing cart horses, standard bred little guys, whatever. If they had been hitched up he did not care. He had a 150 year old doctor's cart he went back to amish land to get.
Girlyman, what a bike. I had the ten speed version. We did every crazy stunt with that thing. I don't know how we did not bend it jumping it.

Lucky him, I love Belgians which is why I love Haflingers. They look like smaller Belgians. We had ponies with a pony cart as well and my cart that we used at home and in shows was made by an Amish guy. When we were there he was working on restoring a hundred years old horse drawn hearse. One of the issues he had was remaking the curtains, which were very elaborate, as I do a lot of sewing and costuming I offered to try. I took the old ones home and very carefully took them apart, used them to create a pattern out of newspaper and remade them. Took me about 40 hours.

They were spectacular! Purple velvet with black lining and gold brocaded trim and tassels. He took $800 off the price of our cart plus paid for the material which was $200. Smile

I love driving, training and doing shows. I miss it very much but I miss my horses more. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
18-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Best gift received...last year on December 10th I was released from oncology. Second best gift...a hug from my oncologist. Smile

Best gift received - actual item...back in the early 80s my first husband gave me a wooden sewing box that I saw and liked. I still have it and use it. Some of the sewing gear in it dates back to my home ec days in high school.

Best gift given - or at least the best reaction - last year I found a Christmas ornament that was given to my oldest by a member of her father's family. It was engraved with her name, the year, and 'Love, the Millers'. She thought it was lost long ago. I put it in a tin along with a gift card...she didn't even notice the gift card she was so choked up over the ornament.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
18-12-2015, 08:35 PM
(18-12-2015 08:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Best gift received...last year on December 10th I was released from oncology. Second best gift...a hug from my oncologist. Smile

Best gift received - actual item...back in the early 80s my first husband gave me a wooden sewing box that I saw and liked. I still have it and use it. Some of the sewing gear in it dates back to my home ec days in high school.

Best gift given - or at least the best reaction - last year I found a Christmas ornament that was given to my oldest by a member of her father's family. It was engraved with her name, the year, and 'Love, the Millers'. She thought it was lost long ago. I put it in a tin along with a gift card...she didn't even notice the gift card she was so choked up over the ornament.

Awww... I love gifts like that. So sweet.

Glad you're doing better. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
19-12-2015, 12:54 PM
We have a box of childhood "junk", which includes the famous "TV-cat-rabbit". Never heard of it ? You're lucky. Whoever got the box of junk last year has to wrap it, (disguised), in the most ugly possible way, (the more fake gold cherubs the better), and give it to someone else this year. That's the best gift we have.

Someone needs to start a "The worst gift ever received" thread.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-12-2015, 01:03 PM
(19-12-2015 12:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We have a box of childhood "junk", which includes the famous "TV-cat-rabbit". Never heard of it ? You're lucky. Whoever got the box of junk last year has to wrap it, (disguised), in the most ugly possible way, (the more fake gold cherubs the better), and give it to someone else this year. That's the best gift we have.

Someone needs to start a "The worst gift ever received" thread.

I made one for you Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-12-2015, 01:15 PM
My engagement ring Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
19-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I've given hubby lots of amazing gifts through the years. Even tho I was worried about them, turned out wonderful.

A camera...
A CD player (I was worried a little but fairly confident he would like it...he was blown away by it)
A cuisinart mini chopper (he really loved that thing to death and still laments its passing Tongue)
A set of restaurant quality knives (we still have them and they're still beyond awesome)
A collection of Alfred Hitchcock movies, plus a book on his life.
A home theater system (I sweating bullets over that purchase)

Older kid when he was little, he loved Yoshi (Mario brothers thing) and wanted one, so I found one in Japan and ordered it for him (years before you could find them in this country).

Older kid again a Lionel train set (omg he practically shit himself when he saw it)

Younger kid his best gift was a rock tumbler...holy shit that fucker was noisy for weeks...but in the end it was kinda neat. too bad it vanished. Evil_monster

now he says his favorite gift was his laptop...because he really didn't see that coming.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Every gift from my daughter that seems like she has made an effort. Even the useless stuff. This year I got a teddy she had made out of a sock. But she had given it an ass because I like stupid and weird stuff. Last year I got a keychain that I also love. I also love the first drawing she gave me where she has thought about using different colors but still keeping it simple.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
19-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Best Gift Ever?
Life event: Breaking up with my ex. He didn't treat me well at all. Now I am free!!!

Gift received: My piano keyboard my dad gave me.

I'm not sure of any gifts I have given are great.... I don't remember what I gave who....
[+] 3 users Like musicharmony87's post
20-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Best gift I ever got was the surprise party my wife threw for me when I turned 45. It was a good evening.

I think the best gift I ever gave was I took my dad away for the weekend to Cooperstown, NY and to the Baseball Hall of Fame when he turned 70. He really enjoyed it. So did I. All in all a really good weekend.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post