Best Gift Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2015, 11:25 PM
RE: Best Gift Ever?
Received: Couple Christmases ago my best friend, who has a lovely singing voice, spent 6 months working on collecting 16 of my favorite songs recorded beautiful and haunting covers of every single one of them put them on a CD, drew it's own little album cover, and presented it to me while we were out on a walk in the snow.
I got to song #7 "Severed Soul" which has a deep personal meaning to me and cried like a child. No one but her and I have ever heard it or ever will and it cemented a life long love and friendship between the two of us.

Given: In June of the year after that her grandfather, who basically raised her, became very very ill and I sold the motorcycle I'd had a grand total 16 days to afford plane tickets for her to go back home and be with her family which she wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Spent 3 weeks in Italy with her and her family, got to know her grandfather a bit but he died 6 days after we arrived. It was a hard trip on her but she got to say goodbye and that's something.

Goddamnit who let in all this cat hair and pollen?SadcryfaceSadcryface2

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
20-12-2015, 11:31 PM
(19-12-2015 01:15 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  My engagement ring Big Grin

AH! I head home to Ireland for a couple weeks and come back and Deidre is engaged! This makes me very happy!Yes Congratulations hun, hope the fella realizes how lucky he is.Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
20-12-2015, 11:32 PM
(20-12-2015 11:25 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Received: Couple Christmases ago my best friend, who has a lovely singing voice, spent 6 months working on collecting 16 of my favorite songs recorded beautiful and haunting covers of every single one of them put them on a CD, drew it's own little album cover, and presented it to me while we were out on a walk in the snow.
I got to song #7 "Severed Soul" which has a deep personal meaning to me and cried like a child. No one but her and I have ever heard it or ever will and it cemented a life long love and friendship between the two of us.

Given: In June of the year after that her grandfather, who basically raised her, became very very ill and I sold the motorcycle I'd had a grand total 16 days to afford plane tickets for her to go back home and be with her family which she wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Spent 3 weeks in Italy with her and her family, got to know her grandfather a bit but he died 6 days after we arrived. It was a hard trip on her but she got to say goodbye and that's something.

Goddamnit who let in all this cat hair and pollen?SadcryfaceSadcryface2

You sound like an amazing friend (and your friend sounds pretty amazing too Wink ) Glad to see u back on TTA, it's been awhile Big Grin I don't have anyone else to do GIF wars with Sadcryface Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-12-2015, 11:41 PM
(20-12-2015 11:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You sound like an amazing friend (and your friend sounds pretty amazing too Wink )

Me? Naw, haha. She's a sweetheart though. Very gentle soul, made for a softer time to be honest. I'm super protective of her like .." that girl guy made fun of you? Well... better go end his entire line, burn his house down, and salt his fields" kinda protective lol.

(20-12-2015 11:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Glad to see u back on TTA, it's been awhile Big Grin
I'm glad to be back!

[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
20-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Best Gift Ever?
Early Christmas dinner with her, her mom, and her sister. We had already split up, but it was a good gift nonetheless.
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
21-12-2015, 08:38 PM
About a decade ago, My daughter and her boyfriend at that time conspired to get Me a signed limited-edition print of "Companions of the Lance" by Larry Elmore. I'm not as much of a Dragonlance fangrrl as I used to be, but I've always loved that painting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
22-12-2015, 05:31 PM
The best gift I've got: 8" An Android Tablet

The best gift I've given: Hexbug toys for my 5th grade cousin. And an expensive imported Swiss chocolate for my mom (wasn't for Christmas but for her birthday)

Heart War Angel Sylia
[+] 3 users Like Sylia Gray's post
22-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Best received: Probably the 20cm Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope I got for Christmas years ago from my then-fiancée.

Best given: Sapphire and diamond or emerald jewelry. Actually, jewelry in general.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-12-2015, 07:22 PM
(18-12-2015 12:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 12:35 PM)skyking Wrote:  On another forum I frequent, an anonymous benefactor gave me a $20 amazon gift card via a moderator. This was just Tuesday, the same day my wife tells me that she is getting a needle biopsy for a 2.3cm mass in her thyroid on Christmas eve. Sometimes the timing of things is what matters most.
Another time I was rather poor and having a rough time, and I get this $106 check from my power company. It was the scheduled refund of my deposit, plus interest. I had no idea it was coming and just like that, it made me smile. It was coincidentally right around Christmas.

I hope your wife is doing okay. Hug
small update. The biopsy is taken and waiting for results. We really liked the doctor, he seems to know his stuff and is highly recommended. He said he liked the shape of the mass, it had the right height to width ration to be benign. This put us quite at ease, now we wait for results next week.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
24-12-2015, 07:31 PM
I think I mentioned the best gift I ever got was a cymbal from my mother.

Another was a cowbell from #1 student. Sounds awesome and I still use it.

I have given loads of gifts to students. One student was having trouble, so I gave him a large timbale bell as "The most improved student" he shouted "YES!". It really helped him. I gave a drumset to a student whose parents could not afford one. It was an old Pearl kit but a pro level kit.

# 1 student has received cymbals, bells, chimes, snare drums etc over the years as rewards for practice and dedication. The first gift was a 20" A custom Zildjian ride cymbal when he was 8. He was so small he could barely carry it. Big Grin

I've given lots of gifts like that. Free drum and martial arts lessons to single parent families who just couldn't afford lessons. Various things like that. Too many to remember.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post