Best Landing Ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Best Landing Ever
A couple of things brought this to memory -- a mention of the new Tom Hanks movie -- and the idea of "self driving vehicles".....

Most people won't remember this -- because it happened in 1989 --

But I vote it for two categories....

Best landing ever
Pilot with the most cast iron set of balls, under fire...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Air...Flight_232

Reader's Digest Version ---

The United Airlines DC-10 had a catastrophic tail engine explosion - that took out all hydraulics -- meaning - they had NO flight controls - rudder, elevator, aileron or flaps.....

The pilot Alfred C Haynes - was able to get the crippled craft lined up on the runway -- by using only throttle differential for yaw - and increasing and decreasing throttle for attitude (up and down)....

They did crash -- and some people got killed -- but well over half survived because of the awesome skill and resourcefulness of the pilot.......

A computer, would have just rebooted till it augered straight in...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-09-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: Best Landing Ever
(16-09-2016 11:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A couple of things brought this to memory -- a mention of the new Tom Hanks movie -- and the idea of "self driving vehicles".....

Best landing ever

The United Airlines DC-10 had a catastrophic tail engine explosion - that took out all hydraulics -- meaning - they had NO flight controls - rudder, elevator, aileron or flaps.....

The pilot Alfred C Haynes - was able to get the crippled craft lined up on the runway -- by using only throttle differential for yaw - and increasing and decreasing throttle for attitude (up and down)....

They did crash -- and some people got killed -- but well over half survived because of the awesome skill and resourcefulness of the pilot.......

They still teach about this in every flight school in the country. According to my instructor, it has been run hundreds of times in airline simulators (each new crew in his airline had to try to run that scenario), and no one has been able to even get the plan to "touch down" on the field, let alone partly lined up with the runway as the crew did that day. Most don't even get close to the airport, in the sims.

It's considered the greatest feat of aviation in civil aviation history. It's the Kobayashi Maru scenario of modern flight training.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-09-2016, 01:37 PM
(16-09-2016 01:03 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 11:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A couple of things brought this to memory -- a mention of the new Tom Hanks movie -- and the idea of "self driving vehicles".....

Best landing ever

They still teach about this in every flight school in the country. According to my instructor, it has been run hundreds of times in airline simulators (each new crew in his airline had to try to run that scenario), and no one has been able to even get the plan to "touch down" on the field, let alone partly lined up with the runway as the crew did that day. Most don't even get close to the airport, in the sims.

It's considered the greatest feat of aviation in civil aviation history. It's the Kobayashi Maru scenario of modern flight training.

My dad and a couple of his flying buddies were in awe of those guys.....

As was I.....

Dad said they'd be talking about that landing in 100 years....

He's probably right..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-09-2016, 09:15 PM
it was amazing. I remember watching shows about that one.
I will start a new thread about my personal best Wink
16-09-2016, 09:30 PM
One of my friends is an amateur pilot. He flew with his brother to the airport at Catalina Island, off the coast of California. This was his first time there, so he wasn't all that familiar with it. The runway is crowned so that it is lower at the ends. Once he set down, it appeared to him that he was out of runway, so he stood on the brakes and brought the aircraft up way short of the exit lane. The tower people gave him some razzing, but he at least lived to laugh about it.