Best Medium to talk to Religious People?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Best Medium to talk to Religious People?
What medium do you recommend using in order to get across to religious people? Right now I'm using FB posts, but that doesn't seem very effective. How would YOU generate conversation with the religious that makes them willing to listen? Podcast? Videos? Weekly lunches?... any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2017, 12:31 PM
RE: Best Medium to talk to Religious People?
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  How would YOU generate conversation with the religious that makes them willing to listen? Podcast? Videos? Weekly lunches?... any ideas?

I wouldn't. I don't see trying to convince believers as something worth doing, they must break chains of indoctrination on their own.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
28-03-2017, 12:55 PM
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What medium do you recommend using in order to get across to religious people? Right now I'm using FB posts, but that doesn't seem very effective. How would YOU generate conversation with the religious that makes them willing to listen? Podcast? Videos? Weekly lunches?... any ideas?

Sounds like proselytizing to me. Just stop. You may be guilty of the exact same behavior that you probably dislike about many religious people.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
28-03-2017, 01:11 PM
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What medium do you recommend using in order to get across to religious people?

Probably Theresa Caputo, The Long Island Medium; or maybe Allison Dubois. Angel
No doubt ineffective, but probably less off-putting than proselytizing them. I really hate it when theists try that with me, so I I don't do it to other people.
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
28-03-2017, 01:13 PM
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What medium do you recommend using in order to get across to religious people?

Books are the best, since you can write careful and detailed arguments.

However, so many highly qualified and articulate atheists have published books recently that the only thing missing from the equation is the will to learn. If you can figure out how to motivate the religious to read such books, you might have something.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-03-2017, 01:18 PM
(28-03-2017 12:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What medium do you recommend using in order to get across to religious people? Right now I'm using FB posts, but that doesn't seem very effective. How would YOU generate conversation with the religious that makes them willing to listen? Podcast? Videos? Weekly lunches?... any ideas?

Sounds like proselytizing to me. Just stop. You may be guilty of the exact same behavior that you probably dislike about many religious people.

I understand that, but I actually don't dislike proselytizing. Obviously I don't agree with the message.. and their methods can be off-putting sometimes... but if what they were saying were true & hell DOES exist, then proselytizing in general would be an act of virtue, no?
28-03-2017, 01:33 PM
(28-03-2017 01:18 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 12:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Sounds like proselytizing to me. Just stop. You may be guilty of the exact same behavior that you probably dislike about many religious people.

I understand that, but I actually don't dislike proselytizing. Obviously I don't agree with the message.. and their methods can be off-putting sometimes... but if what they were saying were true & hell DOES exist, then proselytizing in general would be an act of virtue, no?

That's pretty big if, considering number of religions and christian denominations in particular.

And since there is no evidence for Hell being real then proselytizing can not be considered virtue.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-03-2017, 01:41 PM
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  How would YOU generate conversation with the religious that makes them willing to listen? Podcast? Videos? Weekly lunches?... any ideas?

Law suits tend to open up a dialog.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
28-03-2017, 01:44 PM
(28-03-2017 01:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  That's pretty big if, considering number of religions and christian denominations in particular.

And since there is no evidence for Hell being real then proselytizing can not be considered virtue.

I agree. I was using a hypothetical to make a point. Obviously there's no evidence for hell, but if there was then there would be some justification for proselytizing. My point being, whatever the truth is, people shouldn't feel guilty for wanting to spread it (including atheists). Religion has led to a lot of discrimination, misogyny, homophobia, etc. So the desire to make people question their beliefs shouldn't be a bad thing. We shy away from doing this bc we don't think it's any of our business what other people believe, but I think the stakes are too high to just ignore religion.
28-03-2017, 01:51 PM
I like to post memes (mostly from the funny pictures against religion thread) on Facebook just to stir the pot. I just do it for my own amusement though. Not surprisingly they never get any likes or comments.