Best Medium to talk to Religious People?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 04:37 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: Best Medium to talk to Religious People?
(28-03-2017 04:21 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's nonsensical distinction. And idiotic to be honest - not killing homosexuals does not equal being harmless. They easily can be against same rights for same-sex couples and this equals harm.

Very true, but where I'm from most people are FOR same sex rights, so in that sense it's harmless.

Hardly. And you forgot the euthanasia.

Quote:But I'm curious if you think people like Dawkins & Harris are proselytizing? And do you disagree with what they're doing

If they try to make others come to their way of thinking then they are proselytizing and so I disagree. But it seems to me that they are just presenting facts how they see them, and having read their books I can say that they aren't directed to believers. I can't imagine reading "God Delusion" as theist nor I can imagine wanting to read it.

Edit: Interesting try at deflection. What I said in posts above still apply.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2017, 04:39 PM
(28-03-2017 04:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:21 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Very true, but where I'm from most people are FOR same sex rights, so in that sense it's harmless.

Hardly. And you forgot the euthanasia.

Quote:But I'm curious if you think people like Dawkins & Harris are proselytizing? And do you disagree with what they're doing

If they try to make others come to their way of thinking then they are proselytizing and so I disagree. But it seems to me that they are just presenting facts how they see them, and having read their books I can say that they aren't directed at believers.

Yea most people where I'm from are also FOR euthanasia.

Dawkins has directly interviewed believers in order to disillusion them. And Harris' most famous book is called "Letter to a Christian Nation". They are both directly addressing believers on a public platform challenging their beliefs, yet you seem to have no problem with them.....
28-03-2017, 04:49 PM
(28-03-2017 04:39 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Hardly. And you forgot the euthanasia.

If they try to make others come to their way of thinking then they are proselytizing and so I disagree. But it seems to me that they are just presenting facts how they see them, and having read their books I can say that they aren't directed at believers.

Yea most people where I'm from are also FOR euthanasia.

That leave those who aren't.

Quote:Dawkins has directly interviewed believers in order to disillusion them. And Harris' most famous book is called "Letter to a Christian Nation". They are both directly addressing believers on a public platform challenging their beliefs, yet you seem to have no problem with them.....

Have some trouble with reading comprehension? Maybe seeing it again will help you: If they try to make others come to their way of thinking then they are proselytizing and so I disagree. Sure, there was another sentence after it based on what little I care to know about their activities, but it is first one that takes precedence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-03-2017, 04:58 PM
(28-03-2017 04:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Have some trouble with reading comprehension? Maybe seeing it again will help you: If they try to make others come to their way of thinking then they are proselytizing and so I disagree. Sure, there was another sentence after it based on what little I care to know about their activities, but it is first one that takes precedence.

I'm not sure why you're being rude. I've only responded respectfully.
But ok, I got my answer. You disagree with them & think they're disrespectful. Thanks
28-03-2017, 05:04 PM
(28-03-2017 04:58 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Have some trouble with reading comprehension? Maybe seeing it again will help you: If they try to make others come to their way of thinking then they are proselytizing and so I disagree. Sure, there was another sentence after it based on what little I care to know about their activities, but it is first one that takes precedence.

I'm not sure why you're being rude. I've only responded respectfully.

You falsely claim that I have no problem with them and when questioned about it you whine about me being rude? Hilarious.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-03-2017, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 06:57 PM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
Upon rereading my post, it appears that I may have been a bit overzealous and posted material that was not entirely relevant to your op question. With that said, I wish you luck in your endeavor, sir. Live long and prosper.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
28-03-2017, 05:10 PM
(28-03-2017 05:07 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 12:28 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What medium do you recommend using in order to get across to religious people? Right now I'm using FB posts, but that doesn't seem very effective. How would YOU generate conversation with the religious that makes them willing to listen? Podcast? Videos? Weekly lunches?... any ideas?

One of my closest friends is a practitioner of Christianity and I have found that I've had some of the deepest, meaningful, and interesting conversations with him after watching a Star Trek episode or some other movie or show that we both enjoyed. Interestingly enough, we have also had some cool conversations while watching WWE and NXT ppvs and shows.

Now, in general, IMO, if I wanted to engage in a dialog with someone who thinks differently than me, then any kind of medium that promotes safety, openness, inquiry, and a good atmosphere for effective communication, would do nicely. More importantly, IMO, the manner in which I frame the dialog is very important. Did I actually listen to the other person and understand them, or was I contemplating a counterpoint to one of their views during most of the time that they were talking? Did I behave in an open-minded and inquisitive manner, or did the person perceive me as trying to force my views onto him or her? Did I engage in a meaningful dialog, or did I engage in an argumentative win-lose cycle that usually goes nowhere? Hence, I have found that making a mental checklist of these questions while I'm engaging others who are different than me, helps me spot when I'm being unproductive, increases the likelihood of effective communication on my part, and helps me contribute toward making the dialog more constructive, inviting, and open.

Wow..... this was really good. Thanks for the insight!