Best Note From Atheist To Theists EVER

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: Best Note From Atheist To Theists EVER
(27-03-2014 07:56 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:55 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Ever wonder why there's so many evangelists and missionaries who sit beside you on the bus trying to convert you, or knock on your door and try to convert you but there never seems to be atheists trying to de-convert people?

Why do these religious people care so much about converting people? Are they that scared of their god that they decide to attempt to save as many people from him as possible by converting them?

Why do they care so much? Why don't atheists care so much that we knock on people's doors trying to tell them it's all bogus? Maybe us atheists/agnostics/freethinkers do care but we have a more polite way of communicating to people like putting up bill boards and not encroaching on people's personal property... Can anyone tell me why that is? Jeez, some people... Facepalm

Because (nearly all) religion is a business. The "system" gets the workers to get more converts so the business has more power and makes more money. It's free advertising.

Ja, it's like a ladder full of people. When you convert someone, everyone has to climb up one step higher to make way for the new convert. Once you get to the top, you'll be saved in the rapture.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
28-03-2014, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2014 02:25 PM by Charis.)
(27-03-2014 06:55 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Ever wonder why there's so many evangelists and missionaries who sit beside you on the bus trying to convert you, or knock on your door and try to convert you but there never seems to be atheists trying to de-convert people?

Why do these religious people care so much about converting people? Are they that scared of their god that they decide to attempt to save as many people from him as possible by converting them?

Why do they care so much? Why don't atheists care so much that we knock on people's doors trying to tell them it's all bogus? Maybe us atheists/agnostics/freethinkers do care but we have a more polite way of communicating to people like putting up bill boards and not encroaching on people's personal property... Can anyone tell me why that is? Jeez, some people... Facepalm

It's a combination of things. It could be one or more of the following and any combination thereof:

1. Fear FOR people because of God's wrath.
2. Fear OF God and that he'll judge the person for being a disobedient Christian and take their Heavenly rewards away.
3. Fear of things like the quote by Charles Spurgeon that says,"If you don't wish to see other people saved, you are not saved yourself, you can be sure of that." Basically that NOT evangelizing would be evidence of them NOT being a TRUE Christian after all and thus ACTUALLY being on their way to Hell themselves.
4. Guilt/responsibility... there are plenty of accounts of a Christian wanting to evangelize someone and not doing it, and then that non-Christian dying soon after. Oooooh the guilt when that occurs is horrendous.
5. Status Quo among other evangelists, who also typically become very close friends.
6. Status within Christian circles that comes with being a recognized evangelist.
7. More rewards in Heaven if they DO encounter persecution, which did include verbal stuff in the Bible... so yeah, theoretically, getting made fun of "for His name's sake" could get them more glory in Heaven.

So at least in part: YES, MANY OF THEM AAARE THAT SCARED OF GOD. And if what the Bible says is true, they have every reason to be.

Hope that helps. For those who don't know, I hail from the fundamentalist street evangelist circles, so I know what I'm talking about here. Tongue
28-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Wish these theist would just get off my lawn.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
28-03-2014, 02:33 PM
(28-03-2014 02:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Wish these theist would just get off my lawn.

We have a "No Solicitation" sign next to our front door and when they come by, which isn't very often, I point to the sign. They say "but we're not selling you anything" and I say, "yes, you're trying to sell a product called 'god' but I'm not buying. I thank them and close the door.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post