Best Psychedelic/Hippie/Stoner Band?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 11:17 AM
RE: Best Psychedelic/Hippie/Stoner Band?
(09-07-2013 10:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I dunno about miles ...

True; I should have said kilometres!
Tongue

(09-07-2013 10:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The Doors are more pop, and less trippy than KC, but they are stoner hippie music in my book.

There's a range of overlap, and the farther away one is the more alike they look, naturally, but they're pretty distinct (as are Pink Floyd). If you compare their 1969 incarnations it's a lot closer, but they went in rather different directions.

(09-07-2013 10:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  And no, I didn't see your thread Big Grin

FOR SHAME

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Ok at the time I post this I'm in my late 30's, so no... I wasn't there in the 60's, but here's my list of songs that I consider appropriate should you find yourself feeling like a hippie.

the mamas and the papas - california dreamin
love - the red telephone
peter paul and mary - puff the magic dragon
simon and garfunkel - scarborough fair
pink floyd - us and them
the moody blues - melancholy man
the yardbirds - for your love
zager & evans - in the year 2525
strawberry alarm clock - incense and peppermints
the alan parsons project - don't answer me
the beach boys - good vibrations
the beatles - and i love her [many would say strawberry fields but i think this song is more in the vibe]
the grass roots - lets live for today
crosby stills and nash - daylight again
justin hayward - forever autumn

these are some older bands of course, but i recently discovered a band which i think is just AWESOME if you can handle some moments where it sounds somewhat heavy metal...

the band's name is "green carnation" and they have one, and only one album which fits this category and it's called "light of day, day of darkness." the whole album is one long 60-minute song and if you have the patience and enough grass you'll make it through it saying "wow, that was cool."

some modern bands to check out:

ayreon [the album 'the dream sequencer' is very good]
blackmore's night
carbon based lifeforms
dead can dance
massive attack
michael stearns
saturnus
shpongle
tool
03-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Floyd does reign supreme in psychedelic I have to admit, probably closely followed by Grateful Dead, although personally I'm not a huge fan of either. Money by PF is probably one of my favorite songs of all time though, and would probably be fantastic to get high to.

I have found the website music-map.com fairly useful in finding bands similar to others I already like, or similar in content. Mapping Pink Floyd gives Led Zeppelin and Queen as the closest. The closeness isn't so much representative of style as it is the tendency of people to like both artists.

I've got to say if I had to pick a favorite band to listen to while getting high it would definitely be in the reggae camp, but Muse, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple would also make for a great soundtrack. Of those I'd probably only put Deep Purple in the psychadelic category... My personal vote would have to go to them because nothing beats that Hammond B3 organ in my book.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
03-06-2014, 04:46 PM
If we are getting in the wayback machine....

Deep Purple
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

I'll have to scroll through iTunes and see what else I have.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
03-06-2014, 05:01 PM
(03-06-2014 01:06 PM)azure Wrote:  Ok at the time I post this I'm in my late 30's, so no... I wasn't there in the 60's, but here's my list of songs that I consider appropriate should you find yourself feeling like a hippie.

the mamas and the papas - california dreamin
love - the red telephone
peter paul and mary - puff the magic dragon
simon and garfunkel - scarborough fair
pink floyd - us and them
the moody blues - melancholy man
the yardbirds - for your love
zager & evans - in the year 2525
strawberry alarm clock - incense and peppermints
the alan parsons project - don't answer me
the beach boys - good vibrations
the beatles - and i love her [many would say strawberry fields but i think this song is more in the vibe]
the grass roots - lets live for today
crosby stills and nash - daylight again
justin hayward - forever autumn

these are some older bands of course, but i recently discovered a band which i think is just AWESOME if you can handle some moments where it sounds somewhat heavy metal...

the band's name is "green carnation" and they have one, and only one album which fits this category and it's called "light of day, day of darkness." the whole album is one long 60-minute song and if you have the patience and enough grass you'll make it through it saying "wow, that was cool."

some modern bands to check out:

ayreon [the album 'the dream sequencer' is very good]
blackmore's night
carbon based lifeforms
dead can dance
massive attack
michael stearns
saturnus
shpongle
tool

None of the above. Angry

[Image: skullnroses%20final_0.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2014, 05:04 PM
*ahem*

... this is my signature!
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 05:24 PM by azure.)
I've never seen a thread like this without someone bringing up grateful dead.

I don't know what, or how, or why... but whenever I hear any of their songs I have to turn it off because the thought "this is just GARBAGE" keeps running through my head,

And in spite of the best help I could find (even throwing up from thc! [it's possible]), I could never get high enough to understand why anyone on earth could think their "music" was anything but noise.

Yeah, I guess today I had to be that guy who says "I don't like the Dead" and am ready to have the tomatoes thrown at me. (It's easier than listening to cherry garcia.)

Each to their own, I guess.

Drinking Beverage
03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
(03-06-2014 05:19 PM)azure Wrote:  I've never seen a thread like this without someone bringing up grateful dead.

I don't know what, or how, or why... but whenever I hear any of their songs I have to turn it off because the thought "this is just GARBAGE" keeps running through my head,

And in spite of the best help I could find (even throwing up from thc! [it's possible]), I could never get high enough to understand why anyone on earth could think their "music" was anything but noise.

Each to their own, I guess.

Drinking Beverage

Your taste is in your mouth. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-06-2014, 04:35 AM
I've been getting into these guys (and gal) a lot lately. Good beer/weed/bonfire music.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
05-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Interesting thread. From my experience, the hippie classification is different than the other two.
Based on time spent listening while altered, fav's are
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Hendrix
Cream
Queen
Beatles
CSN
Beethoven
Moody Blues

Sorry, but Iron Butterfly isn't in the same class.
I also was never high enough to find the Dead listenable.
[+] 1 user Likes closet.atheist's post