• 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2016, 11:17 PM
RE: Best Social Awareness Song

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
27-11-2016, 12:42 AM
(26-11-2016 11:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  But it dawns on me that I really meant MODERN social awareness songs, even though I posted older ones. It makes me wonder, "Where are our popular songwriters, today? Where are the artists who stand up for what is right?"

*sigh*

This song has already been posted, but here is a different take on it from around the world.

[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
27-11-2016, 03:28 AM
That was amazing, Pablo. Thanks.

And I really like Sara Bareilles. She did a most respectable credit to the song, in that video. Smile

While this song is written about just a generic any-match-of-genders-will-do love story (and that's really the point, isn't it?), and can be applied to the gayest or straightest of weddings, the video played heavily on MTV and VH1, and I think raised a lot of awareness and acceptance by telling the "story" of a straight couple and a lesbian couple, and showing that neither was more right or more beautiful. Argue against both of these weddings happening... seriously!

And okay, laugh if you want, because I know it's really about introverts and trying to stand up for one's self when one would generally prefer to hide against power and/or bullies, but I think this song is more socially active even than that... I tend to think of the song as being about being brave enough to "come out of the closet" about whatever it is: alternate sexuality, lack of a belief in the dominant religious paradigm in your little culture, failure to support the Local Teams™ even, and to live a genuine life. I think a popular song like this when I was a kid, terrified to challenge what I had been told all my young life, on which I had based nearly my entire sense of identity, might have helped me in many ways. I never got suicidal, but I knew so many of the "outcast" kids who were driven nearly to that point. In the South, Jesusland-and-Cormbreab, with exception only of the urban areas and certain college towns, the despair leads far too many kids to fail to internalize the idea that it will someday get better, because it's all they knew. Some, a very few, snapped and took it out on their tormentors. But too many more quietly died inside, until their bodies followed suit, because they felt no hope. The kid who couldn't tell his parents he doesn't like girls. The thinker who realizes that science doesn't say what your leaders are claiming it does, and who starts to investigate more-closely the rest of their claims, and realizes he'll be giving up his entire community in life up to that point. The nerd, those with health and mental health struggles, the minority of whatever kind... the "whatever reason we fear you and hate you for it". This song makes me think of them, hoping they are encouraged. Maybe Sara saved even one of their lives. I hope many. Songs can be powerful.

And since your history of silence
Won't do you any good-
Did you think it would?
Let your words be anything but empty,
Why don't you tell them the truth?

I shudder to think of the hours my little bookworm self spent, as a young teen, listening to Simon and Garfunkel, over and again... "I am a Rock", working like hell to conform to a system that asked me to crush and surrender my own mind.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-11-2016, 05:31 AM

Or anti-social....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
27-11-2016, 04:40 PM

I saw David Bowie and NIN in concert a way back when. They did not disappoint.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
27-11-2016, 04:44 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
27-11-2016, 05:25 PM
(27-11-2016 04:44 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Gotta love them boys from Akron....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-11-2016, 06:42 AM
(27-11-2016 04:30 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey.
Over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club.
And beat their brother, down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.

Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Cut and divide it all right in two

Fight over the clouds, over wind, over sky
Fight over life, over blood, over prayer,
overhead and light
Fight over love, over sun,
over another, Fight for each other,
for the ones who are rising.

Thumbsup

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-11-2016, 07:19 AM
Take the Power Back by Rage against the Machine.