Best Way To Reduce Gun Violence: Improve Socio-Economic Factors?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Best Way To Reduce Gun Violence: Improve Socio-Economic Factors?
So the gun control debate seems to be a somewhat heated debate on this site. But as I was driving home, I noticed my town of 60,000 people have opened up another gun store.

That brings to four the number of gun stores in my city. Now, a couple European clients that I was showing around was shocked to discover the city they were staying in for a special project had that many gun stores. The cause of this shock was that the community they are staying in has had zero gun murders for the last five years.

A little on my "hamlet":
The medium home price is $750,000.
Medium Household Income: $80,000
High School Graduation Rate: 97%
Post Secondary Education: 40%
Advanced Degrees: 20%
The county and city I live in has a higher than average gun ownership rate than most metro areas.

Fun facts: Close to the Ocean, nearby economic centers, great beaches and surfing (our high schools have surf teams!)

Thus I propose my hypothesis, reducing the ills of a negative Socio-economic environment is probably the best gun violence reduction measure there is.

Any Seconds?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2015, 12:09 AM
RE: Best Way To Reduce Gun Violence: Improve Socio-Economic Factors?
(05-07-2015 11:42 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  [...]
A little on my "hamlet":
[...]

"Median" Big Grin

Seriously though...the median household income in Sandy Hook, CT is $115,556, so I won't be seconding the motion. No

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
06-07-2015, 12:13 AM
(06-07-2015 12:09 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
A little on my "hamlet":
[...]

"Median" Big Grin

Seriously though...the median household income in Sandy Hook, CT is $115,556, so I won't be seconding the motion. No

My major was Bio-Psych not English!

P.S. Mass Shootings (like those of Sandy Hook; are not the main factor of gun murder)
06-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Mass shootings are like plane wrecks -- statistically insignificant but too juicy and ratings worthy for the media to ignore...........

Estimates vary -- but between 6000 - 24,000 people die every YEAR from lightning strikes -----

and

900 have died of mass shooting in the last SEVEN YEARS.

Where's the outrage at the lack of lighting rods????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-07-2015, 04:30 AM
(06-07-2015 12:09 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
A little on my "hamlet":
[...]

"Median" Big Grin

Yabut - mental illness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2015, 11:41 AM
(06-07-2015 12:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Mass shootings are like plane wrecks -- statistically insignificant but too juicy and ratings worthy for the media to ignore...........

Estimates vary -- but between 6000 - 24,000 people die every YEAR from lightning strikes -----

and

But lighting is not a human action. Mass shootings are. It would be better to find a way to find away to decrease them. This is not a anti-gun argument but you have to take human control vs not huan cotrolled into account.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-07-2015, 11:47 AM
(06-07-2015 11:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 12:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Mass shootings are like plane wrecks -- statistically insignificant but too juicy and ratings worthy for the media to ignore...........

and

But lighting is not a human action. Mass shootings are. It would be better to find a way to find away to decrease them. This is not a anti-gun argument but you have to take human control vs not huan cotrolled into account.

Lightning rods are the result of human action.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2015, 01:40 PM
(06-07-2015 11:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

and

You're missing the point..

We have a world population of 8 billion.

In the last seven years 900 have died from mass shootings -- which make it statistically insignificant as an event.

There's plenty of other things killing people --- but they're ignored.

Knives kill far more people - and yet there's no outrage about pointy objects -- which can be created by most anyone with a hacksaw or a file...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-07-2015, 09:23 AM
(06-07-2015 01:40 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 11:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  But lighting is not a human action. Mass shootings are. It would be better to find a way to find away to decrease them. This is not a anti-gun argument but you have to take human control vs not huan cotrolled into account.
You're missing the point..

We have a world population of 8 billion.

In the last seven years 900 have died from mass shootings -- which make it statistically insignificant as an event.

There's plenty of other things killing people --- but they're ignored.

Knives kill far more people - and yet there's no outrage about pointy objects -- which can be created by most anyone with a hacksaw or a file...........

About knives do you have a source that says knives kill more than guns?

And the reason why people don't complain about knives is because there is not mass stabbing.

There is however the factor of needing knives to lets say cut food so we can't ban them, though one can say the need a gun to cut food.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-07-2015, 01:21 PM
(07-07-2015 09:23 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  About knives do you have a source that says knives kill more than guns?

And the reason why people don't complain about knives is because there is not mass stabbing.

There is however the factor of needing knives to lets say cut food so we can't ban them, though one can say the need a gun to cut food.

Knives don’t kill more than guns, but that doesn’t mean knives don’t kill a lot of people. According to the UN’s 2014 Global Homicide Book 24% or 42,480 of the world’s 177,000 homicides in 2012 were committed with sharp instruments. Another 35% or 61950 involved other means such as blunt instruments and poisons. Firearms accounted for 41% or 72,570 of the homicides for the year.

Mass stabbings are not nearly as rare as you seem to think they are.

Anne Anne Kindergarten stabbing

Cairns child killings

Chenpeng Village Primary School stabbing

Nanping school massacre

Osaka school massacre

Yan Yanming

That’s just a few examples. Wikipedia lists 7 school stabbings involving multiple victims in China from 2010 to 2012 alone.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]