Best Way To Reduce Gun Violence: Improve Socio-Economic Factors?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2015, 01:44 PM
RE: Best Way To Reduce Gun Violence: Improve Socio-Economic Factors?
(07-07-2015 01:21 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 09:23 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  About knives do you have a source that says knives kill more than guns?

And the reason why people don't complain about knives is because there is not mass stabbing.

There is however the factor of needing knives to lets say cut food so we can't ban them, though one can say the need a gun to cut food.

Knives don’t kill more than guns, but that doesn’t mean knives don’t kill a lot of people. According to the UN’s 2014 Global Homicide Book 24% or 42,480 of the world’s 177,000 homicides in 2012 were committed with sharp instruments. Another 35% or 61950 involved other means such as blunt instruments and poisons. Firearms accounted for 41% or 72,570 of the homicides for the year.

Mass stabbings are not nearly as rare as you seem to think they are.

Anne Anne Kindergarten stabbing

Cairns child killings

Chenpeng Village Primary School stabbing

Nanping school massacre

Osaka school massacre

Yan Yanming

That’s just a few examples. Wikipedia lists 7 school stabbings involving multiple victims in China from 2010 to 2012 alone.

Knives DO kill more people -- if you take into account that the documents you reference also include firearm suicide, justifiable defense and police shootings --- none of which occur with knives ----- knives are pretty much just an offensive and not defensive weapon - when being used against the unarmed...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
(05-07-2015 11:42 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  ...
Thus I propose my hypothesis, reducing the ills of a negative Socio-economic environment is probably the best gun violence reduction measure there is.

Any Seconds?

There are few recognised ways to change behaviour (and changing enough behaviours will change the culture):

Policy:
Limits / thresholds etc.

Pricing:
Slap a big tax on bullets.
(Note that small incremental increases won't work because they can be budgeted for).

Leadership:
Publicity campaigns and walking the talk.

The quickest would be this policy:

Shoot everyone who owns a gun.

Sorted!

Smartass

07-07-2015, 03:33 PM
(07-07-2015 01:21 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 09:23 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  About knives do you have a source that says knives kill more than guns?

And the reason why people don't complain about knives is because there is not mass stabbing.

There is however the factor of needing knives to lets say cut food so we can't ban them, though one can say the need a gun to cut food.

Knives don’t kill more than guns, but that doesn’t mean knives don’t kill a lot of people. According to the UN’s 2014 Global Homicide Book 24% or 42,480 of the world’s 177,000 homicides in 2012 were committed with sharp instruments. Another 35% or 61950 involved other means such as blunt instruments and poisons. Firearms accounted for 41% or 72,570 of the homicides for the year.

Cairns child killings

Nanping school massacre

Osaka school massacre

Yan Yanming

That’s just a few examples. Wikipedia lists 7 school stabbings involving multiple victims in China from 2010 to 2012 alone.

Fair enough.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-07-2015, 03:51 PM
(07-07-2015 01:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 01:21 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Knives don’t kill more than guns, but that doesn’t mean knives don’t kill a lot of people. According to the UN’s 2014 Global Homicide Book 24% or 42,480 of the world’s 177,000 homicides in 2012 were committed with sharp instruments. Another 35% or 61950 involved other means such as blunt instruments and poisons. Firearms accounted for 41% or 72,570 of the homicides for the year.

Cairns child killings

Nanping school massacre

Osaka school massacre

Yan Yanming

Knives DO kill more people -- if you take into account that the documents you reference also include firearm suicide, justifiable defense and police shootings --- none of which occur with knives ----- knives are pretty much just an offensive and not defensive weapon - when being used against the unarmed...

You could be right but... The data I linked only included homicides. According to WHO there were about 900,000 suicides during the same 2012 period as the numbers I listed. That is about 5 times more suicides than homicides. The question is how many of those suicides were with knives? You seem to think enough to make a difference. I am skeptical of your claim. Knives are not an efficient means of suicide. According to one number I saw only 6% of suicides attempts with cutting instruments are successful. In the US the method of choice is firearms. I don't know about other countries. I suspect the vast majority of people committing suicide use methods other than knives to kill themselves. You could be right though. The only way to tell is to see the numbers on suicides by method. Until you can provide some kind of source for you claim it is just conjecture.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
08-07-2015, 02:36 AM
(07-07-2015 03:51 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 01:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Knives DO kill more people -- if you take into account that the documents you reference also include firearm suicide, justifiable defense and police shootings --- none of which occur with knives ----- knives are pretty much just an offensive and not defensive weapon - when being used against the unarmed...

You could be right but... The data I linked only included homicides. According to WHO there were about 900,000 suicides during the same 2012 period as the numbers I listed. That is about 5 times more suicides than homicides. The question is how many of those suicides were with knives? You seem to think enough to make a difference. I am skeptical of your claim. Knives are not an efficient means of suicide. According to one number I saw only 6% of suicides attempts with cutting instruments are successful. In the US the method of choice is firearms. I don't know about other countries. I suspect the vast majority of people committing suicide use methods other than knives to kill themselves. You could be right though. The only way to tell is to see the numbers on suicides by method. Until you can provide some kind of source for you claim it is just conjecture.

A heavy restriction on guns will save about 20% of the persons that try to commit suicide that would have used a gun.

Australia pre and post gun ban:
[Image: ausuichist.gif]
08-07-2015, 02:42 AM
(07-07-2015 01:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Policy:
Limits / thresholds etc.
Clarification?

(07-07-2015 01:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Pricing:
Slap a big tax on bullets.
(Note that small incremental increases won't work because they can be budgeted for).

Unconstitutional:
Minneapolis Star Tribune Company v. Commissioner, 460 U.S. 575 (1983)
Since the 2nd follows strict scrutiny this ruling would apply:
Quote:Special taxes imposed on ink and paper are unconstitutional under the First Amendment.
Basically, an excessive tax to exercise a right cannot be applied

Leadership:
Publicity campaigns and walking the talk.

(07-07-2015 01:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The quickest would be this policy:

Shoot everyone who owns a gun.

SURE!

[Image: obama-skeet-shooting-obama-gun-control-o...-news2.jpg]

[Image: 1_123125_123073_2240479_2262539_100811_e...iginal.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Gatheist's post
08-07-2015, 04:15 AM
(08-07-2015 02:36 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 03:51 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  You could be right but... The data I linked only included homicides. According to WHO there were about 900,000 suicides during the same 2012 period as the numbers I listed. That is about 5 times more suicides than homicides. The question is how many of those suicides were with knives? You seem to think enough to make a difference. I am skeptical of your claim. Knives are not an efficient means of suicide. According to one number I saw only 6% of suicides attempts with cutting instruments are successful. In the US the method of choice is firearms. I don't know about other countries. I suspect the vast majority of people committing suicide use methods other than knives to kill themselves. You could be right though. The only way to tell is to see the numbers on suicides by method. Until you can provide some kind of source for you claim it is just conjecture.

A heavy restriction on guns will save about 20% of the persons that try to commit suicide that would have used a gun.

Australia pre and post gun ban:
[Image: ausuichist.gif]

Not your choice to make.

You might as well ban abortion "to save babies".

And -- that's another case of mistaken correlation and causation. Just because suicide went down there - doesn't mean it would have if guns had still been available. Where's the control group?

After all - to commit suicide all you have to do is walk off a tall building - which I'm assuming the Aussies do have.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-07-2015, 04:36 AM
Jeez guys, it's in Mark 82:75.

82:75 And Jesus said "Thou shalt put the weapon down, give me all your money, and piss off!"
82:76 And lo, His followers looked upon his divine sandals, and gave up all their possessions.
82:77 Which included a she goat, some rocks and a spoon.
82:78 To which Jesus replied, "Damn dudes, you be some poor mothfuckers!"
82:79 "take that crap and get outta my sight!
83: 01 "But leave the goat damnit. I like the look of that goat!"

And it was so.

The goat never forgot that day, and had a strange walk ever after.

AMEN.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.