Best and Worst Gifts Ever.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2012, 12:57 AM
With Christmas here I think back to my childhood presents. I grew up being poor, so gifts were not always great, but I always had something under the tree. I did have a couple of really cool presents though. I had it much better than my father did, as he grew up poor, with twelve siblings, and his father died when he was still a kid, so his best gift was a football that was shared between three brothers. His worst was probably oranges, and nuts, which were par for them. Now here's mine.

Best Christmas gifts ever...

[Image: 800px-Sega-Genesis-Mod2-Set.jpg]

[Image: huffy-alpine-24in-mens-mountain-bike-t.jpg]

Worst gifts...

A dirty old half inflated ball given to me by an aunt.

Many years later...the same aunt gave me a burnt copy of a Def Leopard album...you know, because I like rock an roll. Scrawled on the disc was Deaf Leaper [sic]

Okay your turn Smile

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
24-12-2012, 03:47 AM
RE: Best and Worst Gifts Ever.
Best and worst:

A shitty plastic looking and feeling 'metal' pen that was also a torch.

Presumably it was so that you could write in the dark.

However, design-wise, the torch part shined up into your eyes as you wrote and not down on to the page.

It was the best present that year because of the strangely translated (from Chinese) instructions.

I wish I still had it.

The instructions included stuff like:

Open off screw the part A. from the part 2.

Take the part 1. and insert up to the part 2.

etc.

It kept me entertained for hours.

Ah! Happy times.

Actually, it's kinda weird to think about presents at christmas. Like something from the distant past.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-12-2012, 07:01 AM
(24-12-2012 03:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Best and worst:

However, design-wise, the torch part shined up into your eyes as you wrote and not down on to the page.

It was the best present that year because of the strangely translated (from Chinese) instructions.

I wish I still had it.

etc.

Ah! Happy times.

Actually, it's kinda weird to think about presents at christmas. Like something from the distant past.

Being that strange breed of English speaker, your post was made more interesting by the fact that I thought the pen was a literal torch and I couldn't figure out why someone would make a pen that also finish the top of a creme brûlée or baked Alaska. Still, who wouldn't want one of those?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-12-2012, 03:33 PM
(24-12-2012 07:01 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 03:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Best and worst:

I wish I still had it.

etc.

Ah! Happy times.

Being that strange breed of English speaker, your post was made more interesting by the fact that I thought the pen was a literal torch and I couldn't figure out why someone would make a pen that also finish the top of a creme brûlée or baked Alaska. Still, who wouldn't want one of those?

That would be a 'blowtorch'.

Perhaps I should have said 'flashlight' but the light did not 'flash'.

"who wouldn't want one of those?" you ask. You don't think a pen/blowtorch would be frigging awesome?

I do. I want one.

24-12-2012, 04:48 PM
(24-12-2012 03:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I do. I want one.

OK, double-o zero. Dodgy

Know what I got? A coffee cup with my Gwynnies on it! Heart

I'm such a tool. Blush

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I got the Megadrive in '92. It came with Sonic and Streets of rage.

Id have to say the best toy I got just had to be MANTA FORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id say the worst present I ever got was of an Exs auntie who gave me this aftershave im sure she bought off a skunk. The stuff was fooking rancid Sad

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
25-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I remember when I was 10 and visited an aunt for christmas she told me I may pick a present from under the tree. I picked the one with the most interesting shape and it turned out to be a waterbottle, like the ones for workout you know. She smiled at me "do you like it?" I forced a smile and nodded and went to play without the bottle. I think I lost it shortly after Big Grin

The best Christmas present ever actually wasn't even material. That was when my (now) hubby picked me up from Germany to move in with him. Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I was very bad again this year, apparently, as I was again left to buy gifts and not receive any...will hold onto that "better to give than to receive" sentiment. I will just think again through 2013...maybe this year.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-12-2012, 10:02 AM
(25-12-2012 09:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I was very bad again this year, apparently, as I was again left to buy gifts and not receive any...will hold onto that "better to give than to receive" sentiment. I will just think again through 2013...maybe this year.
Awww! These are for you (don't know if you like flowers, but...)

[Image: tulips_vase1_1.jpg89737b00-6e8c-4972-afc...1Large.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
25-12-2012, 10:19 AM
(25-12-2012 09:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I was very bad again this year, apparently, as I was again left to buy gifts and not receive any...will hold onto that "better to give than to receive" sentiment. I will just think again through 2013...maybe this year.

I'd be happy to share with you the compact screwdriver set I got with a bible verse on the handle.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post