Best argument against or for creationism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 04:15 PM
RE: Best argument against or for creationism?
(25-03-2012 11:22 AM)robotworld Wrote:  I have one which have been troubling me. Not sure how do I refute this... No
"God started evolution."

I know it has something to do with the first cause argument, but I can't seem to fit it.

I thought there was a Grand Watchmaker argument, ("he wound up the universe, and let it go") but I can't find the exact name for that one. There is also one called the "Mandelbrot analogy". More here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes San Onofre Surfer's post
07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I've had someone use the watchmaker analogy against me before in debate, had me stumped for a bit to be honest. No

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
07-04-2013, 10:08 PM
(07-04-2013 09:53 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I've had someone use the watchmaker analogy against me before in debate, had me stumped for a bit to be honest. No

That old thing?

Darwin cut the legs out from under that argument.

Watson and Crick kicked it in the balls.

Dawkins administered the coup de grĂ¢ce.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-04-2013, 01:53 AM
My best argument against:

The Genesis 1 version was plagiarized from the Sumerians. And this is what zealots are lobbying hard to teach their impressionable children, ancient pagan mythology. The irony is too delicious.

Enuma Elish

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
08-04-2013, 02:07 AM
God, and his plan, can't exist. If they did, I wouldn't have accidentally come to be at this place, close enough to hear you spouting this gibberish! For it is a very dangerous fool's plan Bangin
Wink
or maybe he just doesn't like youEvil_monster

08-04-2013, 10:15 AM
(25-03-2012 11:22 AM)robotworld Wrote:  I have one which have been troubling me. Not sure how do I refute this... No
"God started evolution."

Which god? Dodgy

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
"God started evolution."

I know it has something to do with the first cause argument, but I can't seem to fit it.

Not much you can do to refute it.

However, Chas' favorite refutation for it is that why is God needed for evolution? Science shows evolution happened on its own.

Then that gets refuted by saying, "God created the scientific process."

Then that gets refuted by saying, "God of the gaps. Again, why is God needed for any of this?"

This will just go in a circle until the theist admits the belief in God is based on faith and the atheist admits that there isn't anything that can refute that.

So, you've basically wasted a lot of time with no result.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
(25-03-2012 01:09 AM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I've seen some great arguments against and even for creationism, but I was wondering and wanting your opinion on the best argument you have or have heard of against creationism or even for creationism.

Its impossible to fix stupid.

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
(08-04-2013 11:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
"God started evolution."

Not much you can do to refute it.

However, Chas' favorite refutation for it is that why is God needed for evolution? Science shows evolution happened on its own.

Then that gets refuted by saying, "God created the scientific process."

Then that gets refuted by saying, "God of the gaps. Again, why is God needed for any of this?"

This will just go in a circle until the theist admits the belief in God is based on faith and the atheist admits that there isn't anything that can refute that.

So, you've basically wasted a lot of time with no result.

Almost. You get a 'B'.

Evidence. The lack thereof.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
(25-03-2012 01:09 AM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I've seen some great arguments against and even for creationism, but I was wondering and wanting your opinion on the best argument you have or have heard of against creationism or even for creationism.
Against creationism:
There is not even the tiniest shred of evidence for a creator which is required for creationism to be true. Not knowing all the details concerning the origins of all that exists is not evidence.

All there is in favor of creationism is pure speculation; nothing else. Most things typically cited as evidence for a creator - the Bible, Jesus, etc. - have been called into serious question and therefore do not suffice as evidence. Other things - for example, the complexity of living things - have far more plausible, even provable, explanations than a creator.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair