Best argument for theism and supernatural

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2012, 11:20 AM
RE: Best argument for theism and supernatural
It s just a theoretical example to show that truth is not so important as some people pretend. And yes, i think there are people who will get better through life if they continue believing. For example because their family and friends wouldnt like them anymore, they would lose job or something like that...

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2012, 01:37 PM
(26-11-2012 11:05 AM)Troll Wrote:  If believing that would be beneficial for me, than i would believe it, no matter where the evidence is leading.
Would you believe it, or would you pretend to believe it? From my point of view, as a person who has never believed, merely saying "I'd have more friends if I believed in woo!" just doesn't cut it. Though I understand how, in a believer, it would cause them to never question their beliefs, which I'm sure happens a lot (non-questioning to preserve the status quo).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2012, 03:45 PM
(24-11-2012 11:13 AM)Troll Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 09:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is no good argument for theism or the supernatural. Drinking Beverage

Then you re welcome to refute 2 arguments i explained:
1. Religion is good for me therefore i believe. Angel
2. Some people are unable to get enough information to understand the world around them. Therefore the best available explanation for them is "god did it". For example if you have no way of understanding evolution than "god made us" is quite reasonable claim. It matches with evidence (animals appear designed) and almost everyone thought like that before Darwin and this is not because everyone was stupid before 1859, they just didnt have enough information. Smartass
From this and your subsequent posts, it sounds like you're offering explanations for why people would believe in a god, not arguments for whether a god actually exists.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
26-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Lots of non true things are very enjoyable. Fictional stories, movies etc, but the problem is with religion, they really think this stuff is true and they make decisions based on those mental fantasies.

Those decisions elect senators, representatives and Presidents. And when the people we elect also carry the same delusion, it's fricken scary

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-11-2012, 05:23 PM
(26-11-2012 03:45 PM)Impulse Wrote:  From this and your subsequent posts, it sounds like you're offering explanations for why people would believe in a god, not arguments for whether a god actually exists.
I think you dont need good reasons for existence of god to believe in god. If beliefs improve your life, that s sufficient justification. Because we really dont care about anything else than our lives.
People do not even care about god very much unless they think god will somehow influence their life (like he will reward them for certain behaviour after death).

26-11-2012, 05:48 PM
(26-11-2012 05:23 PM)Troll Wrote:  I think you dont need good reasons for existence of god to believe in god. If beliefs improve your life, that s sufficient justification. Because we really dont care about anything else than our lives.
People do not even care about god very much unless they think god will somehow influence their life (like he will reward them for certain behaviour after death).
I would reword this as follows:

I think people who already believe in god often don't need good reasons for the existence of god to continue believing in him, especially since it's the socially acceptable thing to do.

As for your third sentence, how can a person think god will somehow influence their life unless they already believe he is real? But I agree that even most theists don't think about god much unless they're in a situation where they think prayer will help, or if death is involved, etc.
26-11-2012, 06:26 PM
(26-11-2012 05:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  As for your third sentence, how can a person think god will somehow influence their life unless they already believe he is real? But I agree that even most theists don't think about god much unless they're in a situation where they think prayer will help, or if death is involved, etc.
I was thinking about god which exists, but he has no influence on our lives and afterlives. He s just sitting somewhere on the other side of the universe and doesnt care/know about us. If you will try to convert people to such religion, they will say: "Suppose your god exists. So what? I dont care."
Because they dont care about gods, truth or anything lke that. They just care about their lives.

26-11-2012, 06:38 PM
(26-11-2012 06:26 PM)Troll Wrote:  I was thinking about god which exists, but he has no influence on our lives and afterlives. He s just sitting somewhere on the other side of the universe and doesnt care/know about us. If you will try to convert people to such religion, they will say: "Suppose your god exists. So what? I dont care."
Because they dont care about gods, truth or anything lke that. They just care about their lives.
You can't "convert someone to such a religion," because that's not a religion, that's just deism.
27-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I dont care too much about labels. You can change the word religion with the word belief if you like. But anyway-you get the point: there is at least 1 good reason to believe-it makes you feel better. And you evil atheists have no way of denying that this is (sometimes) a very good reasonBanana_zorro

27-11-2012, 01:10 PM
(27-11-2012 01:01 PM)Troll Wrote:  I dont care too much about labels. You can change the word religion with the word belief if you like. But anyway-you get the point: there is at least 1 good reason to believe-it makes you feel better. And you evil atheists have no way of denying that this is (sometimes) a very good reasonBanana_zorro
Really? I deny this is ever a good reason. Drinking Beverage

The cold truth is better than the comforting lie.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]