Best bible verse to quote to Christian.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Best bible verse to quote to Christian.
I'm on a fitness oriented forum. Recently it's been full of Jesus / god etc. I usually just ignore it but its pis song me off. I don't want to get into some heated debate but since people list their favorite bible verses, I'd like to do the same. Anything rediculous or or offensive you'd recommend
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: Best bible verse to quote to Christian.
Are we going for ludicrous and offensive? There's plenty of them in the bible, it's full of them!

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)
[+] 6 users Like Logisch's post
08-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Great ones. Thanks
08-06-2013, 02:20 PM
(08-06-2013 01:26 PM)Logisch Wrote:  “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

I was going to go with that one.

How about:
"'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening." (Leviticus 15:19)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM
There was a really funny one about masturbation but I don't remember it off the top of my head.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
from ezekiel 23
…19Yet she multiplied her prostitutions, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt. 20For she doted on their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses. 21Thus you called to remembrance the lewdness of your youth, in bruising your teats by the Egyptians for the breasts of your youth.

Thumbsup

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Hosea 13:16
The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open."
[+] 1 user Likes Chrisinfp's post
08-06-2013, 06:47 PM
This too
Deuteronomy 13:6-10
New International Version (NIV)
6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
[+] 1 user Likes Chrisinfp's post
08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I can't find it, but wasn't there one where god lied to his people just to show them how awesome he was?

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
The section on Murder in the Bible from evilbible.com has a lot of good (i.e., evil) Biblical material for you to use. I'd check out other translations, though; several of the ones given there are less literal than you might need when dealing with some fundies.

Also, I've noticed that one of the most sickening parts of the Bible is frequently left out of discussions of "awful Bible stuff": Deuteronomy Ch. 28. It's the "Blessings and Curses" chapter, where Yahweh tells the Israelites what will happen if they love him and obey his commandments—if they "serve the LORD . . . in joy and gladness"—and what will happen if they don't. As Jack Miles says in God: A Biography (a genuinely awesome book):

"The curses section . . . is four times as long as the blessings section and rises to an eloquence in the depiction of horror unmatched until Dante. In the latter half of the curses section, Moses imagines, in ghastly detail, an unfaithful Israel besieged by an implacable enemy:

"'. . . 49 The LORD will bring a nation against you from afar, from the end of the earth, which will swoop down like the eagle—a nation whose language you do not understand, 50 a ruthless nation, that will show the old no regard and the young no mercy. 51 It shall devour the offspring of your cattle and the produce of your soil, until you have been wiped out, leaving you nothing of new grain, wine, or oil, of the calving of your herds and the lambing of your flocks, until it has brought you to ruin. 52 It shall shut you up in all your towns throughout your land until every mighty, towering wall in which you trust has come down. And when you are shut up in all your towns throughout your land that the LORD your God has assigned to you, 53 you shall eat your own issue, the flesh of your sons and daughters that the LORD your God has assigned to you, because of the desperate straits to which your enemy shall reduce you. 54 He who is most tender and fastidious among you shall be too mean to his brother and the wife of his bosom and the children he has spared 55 to share with any of them the flesh of the children that he eats, because he has nothing else left as a result of the desperate straits to which your enemy shall reduce you in all your towns. 56 And she who is most tender and dainty among you, so tender and dainty that she would never venture to set a foot on the ground, shall begrudge the husband of her bosom, and her son and her daughter, 57 the afterbirth that issues from between her legs and the babies she bears; she shall eat them secretly, because of utter want, in the desperate straits to which your enemy shall reduce you in your towns. [Deuteronomy 28:49-57, JPS II]'

"It is difficult to believe that this description does not build on some firsthand experience of an ancient city under siege by its enemies. The Babylonian siege and sack of Jerusalem in 587 B.C.E. is the most plausible candidate. The sickening image of a woman fighting with her husband and children over who will eat her afterbirth is just the kind of unimaginable detail that only actual experience can provide a writer."

Yes, kiddies, that's all in God's Holy Word.

(An afterthought: As horrifying and nauseating as this passage is, the torment it depicts is in this life, and it's finite. Yes, God has a hideous punishment in store for you if you don't love him and obey his rules, but at least it's over when you're dead. It took Christianity and the New Testament to come up with the lovely notion of eternal torment.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post