Best bible verse to quote to Christian.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 09:05 PM
RE: Best bible verse to quote to Christian.
(11-06-2013 10:59 AM)mec Wrote:  That's quite a contradiction of the "Thou shalt not kill" commandment

Yup. Yahweh tells people to kill others right and left in the Bible. The way Bible apologists reconcile this with the Sixth Commandment is to explain that "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation. What the two Hebrew words actually mean is, "Thou shalt not commit murder." Capital punishment does not fall into the category of murder.

They may actually be right about this. The problem, however, is that "Do not commit murder" is pretty close to a tautology. What is murder? It's killing someone who does not deserve it. So the commandment is saying, "You shouldn't kill someone who shouldn't be killed." Not much content in that.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2013, 07:03 AM
For the Christians who like say "Oh my God !".
King James Version :
Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
16-06-2013, 04:45 PM
(11-06-2013 07:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Ezekiel 23:19

Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals – as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.

Oh the wholesome clean bible.
i wonder how the bible writer(s) knew the amount of seminal emission of a horse...

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
21-06-2013, 07:09 AM
2 Kings 1:8 KJV "And they answered him, He was an hairy man, and girt with a girdle of leather about his loins. And he said, It is Elijah the Tishbite."

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
21-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm a huge fan of Deuteronomy 21 (I wish it would disintegrate into nothingness.) And pretty much all the laws in it are horrible. "If you find a dead body in a field, rather than investigate, you should cut off a cow's head and pretend nothing ever happened." "If you see a pretty woman among the captives when you are at war, you may take her as your wife, force her to shave her head and pare her nails, and then give her one month to mourn her captivity before you take her FOREVER." "If a man has TWO wives, one hated and one loved, than when it is time to give his possessions to his sons, and the firstborn is of the hated, the hated firstborn must remain firstborn." "If you have a stubborn and rebellious son, bring him to the elders, and then the whole town will stone him to death." "If a man is executed, and hung on a tree, he must be taken down within the day, because his presence offends the LORD." Ohmy
21-08-2013, 05:28 PM
And the Bezan shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures. And the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three headed serpent... and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts. Yeeaahhh!!!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2013, 05:33 PM
(21-08-2013 05:28 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  And the Bezan shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures. And the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three headed serpent... and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts. Yeeaahhh!!!

If this is really in the Bible what are the numbers of these verses.
22-08-2013, 05:51 PM
(12-06-2013 07:03 AM)viocjit Wrote:  For the Christians who like say "Oh my God !".
King James Version :
Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

I'd like to slap the hell out of the next christian who actually (is vain enough to Tongue ) adds "god" to the front of "bless you" the next time I sneeze!

"how dare you tell god what to do, whether it be bless, or damn, you filthy blasphemer"!! Angel

You'd have to pretend to be a christian who cared, though.
crap Dodgy nvm

26-08-2013, 05:03 AM
(08-06-2013 01:26 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Are we going for ludicrous and offensive? There's plenty of them in the bible, it's full of them!

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)
Terrible translation. Stick to the Douahy Rheims bible please
[18] Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. (Willfully contrary, intractable, difficult to manage)

As employees we should obey our employer not just if he is a good employer but even if he is opposed to you and is difficult to deal with. If we only obeyed good and gentle employers then we would have an excuse not to obey most employers.

(08-06-2013 01:26 PM)Logisch Wrote:  "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)
Not politically correct but hardly evil. A hundred years ago you probably would have agreed with this verse.

(08-06-2013 01:26 PM)Logisch Wrote:  “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)
Perhaps you need to read about the captivity of Jerusalem and the cruelty of the Babylonians inflicted upon the Jews. You might then understand the depth of passion with which the psalmist writes. It is easy to have thoughts of love and peace while you sit in your lounge chair drinking beer, but when you are wronged and a great evil is done upon you, you might find that you have some ugly thoughts of revenge.

The Bible is not sugar coated. It describes the innermost thoughts of men. Righteous and unrighteous alike.
Notwithstanding, the judgements of God against the wicked are utterly horrendous. Their punishment is severe. Best not to get on the wrong side of the living God, terrible in his wrath.
26-08-2013, 05:11 AM
(08-06-2013 02:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  "'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening." (Leviticus 15:19)
In those times the woman had an excuse to sit at home and do nothing but rest. They got a break from their work. Today women have to work through their period as if they were not having a period.
So modern women are liberated are they? I hardly think so.