Best book for a Christian from an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Best book for a Christian from an Atheist
So, yet another of my dear lifelong friends recently discovered i was an Atheist. SO he sent me a book (Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis). I told him i'd ONLY read his book if he read one of mine...a bit of Quid Pro Quo.

I have several books in mind and he's not your run of the mill christian, its a bit cerebral. What book do you think would be a good one to share with him.

I think Dawkins is TOO technical, personally.
I was thinking of Godless by Dan Barker or one of Ehermans books..as they both have substance.

I am not wanting to DeConvert him, but i want to show him some damn good study on the whole christian myth.

D
Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 10:21 AM
RE: Best book for a Christian from an Atheist
(26-01-2012 10:17 AM)Denicio Wrote:  So, yet another of my dear lifelong friends recently discovered i was an Atheist. SO he sent me a book (Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis). I told him i'd ONLY read his book if he read one of mine...a bit of Quid Pro Quo.

I have several books in mind and he's not your run of the mill christian, its a bit cerebral. What book do you think would be a good one to share with him.

I was thinking of Godless by Dan Barker or one of Ehermans books..as they both have substance.

I am not wanting to DeConvert him, but i want to show him some damn good study on the whole christian myth.

D

Godless is good... DO NOT send him Dawkins. Dawkins is too abrasive. A Christian has to actively choose to read him.

Also, he does know that Lewis wasn't a pillar of Protestant theology, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure the dude believed in evolution.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Dawkins is offensive if you are not ready to want to start addressing some of the harsher implications of religion.

I would actually recommend Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris it's written as an address to Christians and is very respectful but well thought out and researched in it's approach. Harris also goes to great length to discuss theology alongside neuroscience and often contrasts the bible alongside the Quran far more so then other writers.

If you have not read it yet I highly recommend it. It's one of the lightest Atheist reads out there while still remaining highly engaging throughout the entire piece.
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
26-01-2012, 10:26 AM

(26-01-2012 10:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 10:17 AM)Denicio Wrote:  So, yet another of my dear lifelong friends recently discovered i was an Atheist. SO he sent me a book (Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis). I told him i'd ONLY read his book if he read one of mine...a bit of Quid Pro Quo.

D

Godless is good... DO NOT send him Dawkins. Dawkins is too abrasive. A Christian has to actively choose to read him.

Also, he does know that Lewis wasn't a pillar of Protestant theology, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure the dude believed in evolution.

This guy is a very intresting guy. A dear friend and i love him dearly. I actually am still debating if i am gonna send him a book. He's got his OWN human demons that have chased him his whole life and i dont want to be the guy that shakes his ownly pillar of sanity with a real good book. Still on the fence about it.

I am actually glad that he agreed to read my book (of my choosing). Most pals REFUSE to recriprocate. They tell me they are FINE wiht where they are at..its just I am the one that needs fixing.

I agree on Dawkins 100%.
I have "Letter to a christian nation" by harris but its not that great of a read like some juicy Eherman is.......

Just like to see if there are some other books that i am missing.

As for Lewis, back when i was in High School at the southern baptist school, i read LOADS of lewis, dont think i read this one...but i know we worked our way thru The Lion, Witch and Bathrobe (i know what its really called, btw).

D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
26-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Fair warning if you do read mere Christianity the amount of logical fallacy on display is truly angering.

It's not even the fact that he has bad reasoning it's more "Well I don't agree with this but I know someone somewhere else is crazy enough to think this qualifies as coherent thought and that's what make me uncomfortable."
26-01-2012, 11:00 AM

(26-01-2012 10:58 AM)Godless Wrote:  Fair warning if you do read mere Christianity the amount of logical fallacy on display is truly angering.

It's not even the fact that he has bad reasoning it's more "Well I don't agree with this but I know someone somewhere else is crazy enough to think this qualifies as coherent thought and that's what make me uncomfortable."

Oh, i will read it with 100% sincerety. And plan on discussing it with my pal too.
I have had others send me "The Case for Christ" as well as "More than a carpenter" and other silly books.

D
26-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I would like to suggest Dan Dennett's Breaking the Spell. IMO he goes out of his way to be as nice as possible.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
26-01-2012, 11:21 AM
"God is not great: How religion poisons everything" by Christopher Hitchens.

Yep, that should about do it.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
26-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Harry Potter. Hopefully you get him hooked. Then you can go through an explain why we realize it's not real, that it's just a silly fantasy story..... Then maybe... maybe he will realize the similarities. ... .. . .. . . .. .. ... . Yeah right.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
26-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Give him the Bible.

Make him finally read the book he believes is true.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 12 users Like Buddy Christ's post