Best malware remover

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: Best malware remover
I'll try that. I have no idea how I got it. I use that computer to browse around and play games. No mail, no messengers, no files, no pics, no music, no nothing.

The other thing I suspect is that something may have gone wrong with the system - I just used the function that restores factory settings. It deleted everything - browsers is mostly what I had on there, shockwave and mcafee. Sometimes shit happens when you restore factory settings, I hear.

I also checked all wifi and bluetooth drivers and all are working and up to date.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 03:10 PM
(20-10-2014 02:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  The other thing I suspect is that something may have gone wrong with the system - I just used the function that restores factory settings. It deleted everything - browsers is mostly what I had on there, shockwave and mcafee. Sometimes shit happens when you restore factory settings, I hear.

If that is what you meant with reformatting, then I meant simply re-install Windows entirely, with a CD or USB. If you do that, the system pretty much as reset as it can ever get. However, if what you explained was that exact method I just said, then I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas. What OS is it?

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
20-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(20-10-2014 03:10 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 02:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  The other thing I suspect is that something may have gone wrong with the system - I just used the function that restores factory settings. It deleted everything - browsers is mostly what I had on there, shockwave and mcafee. Sometimes shit happens when you restore factory settings, I hear.

If that is what you meant with reformatting, then I meant simply re-install Windows entirely, with a CD or USB. If you do that, the system pretty much as reset as it can ever get. However, if what you explained was that exact method I just said, then I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas. What OS is it?

Windows 8.1 pro

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-10-2014, 07:40 PM
I've always used Avast for general stuff and Hijack This for manually attacking things.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
20-10-2014, 07:41 PM
(20-10-2014 05:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You should try out Kaspersky's software TDSSKiller.

Vosur,
Is this pretty easy to use? And does it use a lot of resources by running in the background? Thanks.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-10-2014, 08:16 PM
(20-10-2014 05:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have a computer that is infected with something that my current malware program removes - but it re-installs itself. I need a better malware remover. What do you recommend? A search brings up both legit and dodgy ones, so am looking for things you have tried yourself... Thanks

I find Malwarebytes Antimalware works pretty well for most malware.

It doesn't sound like you have a rootkit to me. With most rootkits, you wouldn't even know it's there. The fact that you can see that it's getting reinstalled suggests it's not a rootkit.

There are many malwares that do reinstall themselves and they use a variety of methods. Some are fairly basic like making a copy of itself and creating a link to it in your registry that will run it next time you start your computer. Then it makes another copy of itself and you start all over. Most malware programs can handle those. But other malware is more tricky and may make multiple copies of itself and have multiple copies running in your memory so that, as soon as anything deletes one, it instantly creates and activates another copy. I have had to deal with some tricky ones at work and have had to use things like booting to safe mode, using the command prompt, manually editing the registry, messing with file permissions and hidden files... it can get messy.

So first I would try some of the programs people have listed here. I would also do a Google search on anything that you can identify about the malware - for example, names of the malware that the malware programs found. Sometimes there are utilities designed to target specific malware that you can download or, at the very least, advice on how to remove it. If none of that works, you may need to get someone to help you that knows a lot about computers and malware. If you don't know someone, you can either take it to a local computer store that offers the service or you can reformat your hard drive and reinstall (assuming you know how do that). If you choose the reinstall option, make sure you first make a backup copy of any personal files (any documents you have created, pictures, etc.) and other things like maybe web links or email (if it's not browser based) that you don't want to lose.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
20-10-2014, 11:47 PM
(20-10-2014 07:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Vosur,
Is this pretty easy to use? And does it use a lot of resources by running in the background? Thanks.
It's not that kind of program. It's a tool that you run if you think that your PC has been infected by a specific type of malware that is otherwise hard to remove. If you're looking for a general anti-virus program that runs in the background, I concur with Cetaceaphile. I've been using Avast! Free Antivirus for about two years now and it's the best one I've ever used. Unlike commercial software like Kaspersky's products, it barely uses any resources while running in the background and is easy to get into.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
26-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Well for crying out loud.

For all this time I have been exploring countless possible remedies. My second computer started acting up, too. Everything was erratic. Then the typing was delayed before it showed on the computer, then the cursor moved erratically.

Then I cursed and cursed and turned them both off. After a long walk I came back and started messing with wifi settings some more. Eventually I removed the wifi usb for the mouse and keyboard on the second broken computer and put it in a different slot.

The computer downloaded a new driver and it solved all the issues on BOTH computers. The driver only downloaded to computer #2, the one with the erratic cursor.

WTF? Sometimes I hate computers, I know too little to be really good at troubleshooting and too much to leave it alone and take it to the shop.

Anyway, all is well in Dom's computer land. Tongue