Best place to debate theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2013, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 08:35 PM by Starcrash.)
RE: Best place to debate theists
(15-01-2013 06:46 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  And [the moderators] might even occasionally/inadvertently allow a bit of their subconscious atheist/theist bias to affect their otherwise impartial enforcement of the rules. Waddyagonna do?

This is an excellent point. However, I don't think that this forum's moderators are loose just by chance; the environment has a lot to do with it. Who wants to be the only tight-ass moderator who silences opponents among several mods who let speech flow freely? So in answer to "waddyagonna do?", I guess the answer is to "set the mood" early on before biased mods start giving people an unfair boot.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I've been using gametrailers.com's religion & philosophy section for a while, but I recently found religiousforums.com, which is also good.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2013, 08:52 PM
(15-01-2013 08:32 PM)RogerTheAtheist Wrote:  I've been using gametrailers.com's religion & philosophy section for a while, but I recently found religiousforums.com, which is also good.

Welcome to the forum Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2013, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 10:58 PM by Lion IRC.)
Surely the key would be to invite people here and build up the forum you want to hang out at rather than leaving.
In my experience, when visiting forums which have;

- ambiguous definitions of trolling/preaching/disruption,
- assymetric rules of engagement,
- no ignore function available,
- a shortage of capable Mod volunteers
- a disconnect between the neon Welcome sign and the way theist/non-theist members are actually treated

...then you need to work really hard to avoid the spiteful, unjustified and authoritarian kicks/bans/K-lines/suspensions etc. if you find yourself in the minority at such places.

I was at rationalskepticism.org for a long time and even with the highly-contested biblical positions I was asserting/defending in the face of strong and hostile atheists,
I posted within the rules for 4,000+ posts.

But that forum seems to be going through a ''menopause'' of sorts and a changing of the guard.

(They cant possibly have only JUST decided out of the blue that I met their FUA definition of the word troll.)
[Image: file.php?avatar=g13_30812.jpg]
Lion IRC
Banned Troll
16-01-2013, 12:56 AM
(27-12-2012 12:54 PM)Egor Wrote:  Your observations are absolutely correct. Theist websites will not debate: They are unable to defend their position against atheists, so they will ban you immediately. Atheists sites have very few theists, and the theists that are there often won't debate--their defective in some way and want atheists to be their friends. I suppose they think they're going to save them.

This forum has me. That's the only way I know how to put it, but I'm not a traditional Christian. I'm great for arguing the existence of God and the importance of Jesus Christ, but I will not defend the Old Testament or the Christian Church, or any of the New Testament except for the Gospels.

I might as well announce it now: I'm starting a web forum of my own. I'm building it up as we speak. I figure around the fifteenth, I'll be ready to announce it. It's a writer's group, but it has two other categories: Religious Debate, and Political Debate. I will actively recruit theist warriors--but I'd be surprised if they come.
I couch it all in a writer's forum because most people who debate are also writers, or will-be writers.

I have a long history with online debate. The Thinking Atheist is by far the best site I've ever been in, and in fact, I model the way I will run my forum off of what I've experienced here. I respect this forum enough that I will continue to post here, and I will not post here what I post there.

You're not going to have a lot of luck finding traditional Christians to debate. Ultimately, they have their faith, and like atheists, they will back up to it and simply say they don't know (Atheists will say science will one day figure it out. Christians will say God works in ways we don't understand.).

Also, debating traditional Christians gets a bit boring. Their position is not defensible, so you beat up on them, but it stops being a challenge very quickly. Same can be said about atheists: they cannot defend their position, so arguing with them gets very boring very quickly.

Theist: God exists. Shy

Atheists: You don't have any evidence. Sleepy

Theist: The existence of the universe. Unsure

Atheist: That's not evidence; show me evidence. Hobo

Theist: What else is there to show? Huh

The atheist, of course, wants tricks that are repeatable in a laboratory. You try telling them a repeated miracle is no longer a miracle but simply a strange phenomenon, like dark matter, but still that's what they want to see. It won't convince them God exists--why would it? You try telling them that. But that's what they want--a magic show. They are simpletons, just like the religious.

Truth is: I'm your best bet for debate. I mean look at my posts. I post, and I get 2000 views and 200 replies in a couple of days. The hardest thing for you will be getting my attention. Tease

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH​AHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Ha!

Oh by Zeus, you're one funny guy.

That is a good thing; You'd be sad if you weren't funny.

(PS: I reply to you because your bumbling attempts at argumentation amuse me. I feel confident in the assumption that that is a prime motivation for others here who watch and reply to you.)

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Theists: do any of you have a position on god's existence which is facts-based? phil.a 27 285 Today 06:35 AM
Last Post: wazzel
  Theists consider this please. Brian37 14 305 07-08-2014 11:25 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Commonly Used Debate Arguments for Dummies Zephony 115 14,630 01-08-2014 02:18 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Just had my first public debate, with pastor Phil Fernandes Mark Fulton 36 560 14-07-2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: PigMonkeyandFrog
  Non insulting ways of messing with theists? Shadow Fox 8 203 11-07-2014 11:39 AM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear WindyCityJazz 36 828 02-07-2014 03:16 PM
Last Post: TarzanSmith
  Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry WindyCityJazz 19 462 23-06-2014 08:17 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants