Best place to study in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Best place to study in the US
So, I was thinking about applying for university in the US but I'd like the opinion of some of you god damn Yankees as to which you think is the best place to study.

I'd like to be studying something along the lines of religion, ethics, anthropology etc.

Take note that I didn't really attend high school so I have very low qualifications... Though I do have a large number of them. I am currently studying Classical Civilizations. Therefore I don't have the grades for a top end university (though the one I'm at now is in the Russel Group, which are the top 24 in Britain).

Thanks a lot for yer timeeeeeeeeee

(hope this was the right place to put this!)

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 05:59 AM
RE: Best place to study in the US
(18-11-2014 05:44 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  So, I was thinking about applying for university in the US but I'd like the opinion of some of you god damn Yankees as to which you think is the best place to study.

I'd like to be studying something along the lines of religion, ethics, anthropology etc.

Take note that I didn't really attend high school so I have very low qualifications... Though I do have a large number of them. I am currently studying Classical Civilizations. Therefore I don't have the grades for a top end university (though the one I'm at now is in the Russel Group, which are the top 24 in Britain).

Have you considered attending a university in Canada?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-11-2014, 06:02 AM
(18-11-2014 05:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:44 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  So, I was thinking about applying for university in the US but I'd like the opinion of some of you god damn Yankees as to which you think is the best place to study.

Have you considered attending a university in Canada?

That sounds even better. My father would love it too he has some kind of fetish for Canada! Any advice?

18-11-2014, 06:05 AM
(18-11-2014 06:02 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  My father would love it too he has some kind of fetish for Canada!

Can you blame him?

[Image: miss-canada.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
18-11-2014, 06:09 AM
(18-11-2014 06:02 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Have you considered attending a university in Canada?

That sounds even better. My father would love it too he has some kind of fetish for Canada! Any advice?

I don't know which universities are best for your interests, but start here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-11-2014, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 06:32 AM by Nurse.)
Depends on your budget. The "best" schools are damned expensive, and I'd like to think if you're studying anthropology, you'd want to study at a top tier university. I wouldn't want to spend $120K or more on a bachelor's degree that leads to shit pay, unless of course your parents are footing the bill.

Also what region of the US? You say god damned yankees and I think New York and the rest of the northeast. I am personally offended at the notion of being called a Yankee as I am from the Deep South.

When you say anthropology, I start thinking of schools like NYU, University of Chicago, Duke, and Boston.

I'd say Duke, but I'm partial to the southeast - gorgeous campus and much better weather than Chicago.

Public schools such as Auburn, Arizona, University of Texas, etc would be the next group of schools I'd consider.

Edit: When I suggest public schools, I typically mean ones that hold the state name in their title. If it's not top tier, what region of the country do you want to spend some of the best four years of your life? California would be fucking awesome.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
18-11-2014, 06:40 AM
(18-11-2014 06:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Depends on your budget. The "best" schools are damned expensive, and I'd like to think if you're studying anthropology, you'd want to study at a top tier university. I wouldn't want to spend $120K or more on a bachelor's degree that leads to shit pay, unless of course your parents are footing the bill.

Also what region of the US? You say god damned yankees and I think New York and the rest of the northeast. I am personally offended at the notion of being called a Yankee as I am from the Deep South.

When you say anthropology, I start thinking of schools like NYU, University of Chicago, Duke, and Boston.

I'd say Duke, but I'm partial to the southeast - gorgeous campus and much better weather than Chicago.

Public schools such as Auburn, Arizona, University of Texas, etc would be the next group of schools I'd consider.

Edit: When I suggest public schools, I typically mean ones that hold the state name in their title. If it's not top tier, what region of the country do you want to spend some of the best four years of your life? California would be fucking awesome.

Firstly, I'm a British citizen so I can apply for student loan (they pay all tuition fees and give grants out) so that I don't have to pay that back until I'm earning over £21k a year, and even then it works out around £9 a week. As long as I apply before I'm 24 I think I'm fine on the financial basis. Are American universities THAT expensive? Jeez.

I was thinking California sounds nice, but after the suggestion by Chas I've just noticed there are scholarships for those of commonwealth citizenship so I'm gonna look further in that.

P.S, don't care if you're offended.

18-11-2014, 06:42 AM
If you wanted to study religion - look at Vanderbilt University. Nashville is a beautiful city with lots to do. My dad went to seminary there, it was also where I wanted to do my undergrad but I was encouraged to go to Auburn instead, as my grandparents paid for 8 semesters of my tuition provided it was an in-state school.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
18-11-2014, 06:42 AM
You could consider studying in Germany or even other European countries and get free tuition.
18-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Liberty University
Regent University
^^^^^Mental State

Oh wait, you want real schools, not degree mills. Nothing to see here, moving on.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37