Best place to study in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 06:50 AM
RE: Best place to study in the US
(18-11-2014 06:42 AM)Nurse Wrote:  If you wanted to study religion - look at Vanderbilt University. Nashville is a beautiful city with lots to do. My dad went to seminary there, it was also where I wanted to do my undergrad but I was encouraged to go to Auburn instead, as my grandparents paid for 8 semesters of my tuition provided it was an in-state school.

Hmmmm I shall! Thanks! You Americans have it so hard having to save up and pay for tuition like that.

(18-11-2014 06:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You could consider studying in Germany or even other European countries and get free tuition.

I've already debated that with myself, Germany would be amazing. As would Finland. The language barrier puts me off however, and, I've always wanted to experience the friendliness of North America.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 06:54 AM
(18-11-2014 06:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:44 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  So, I was thinking about applying for university in the US but I'd like the opinion of some of you god damn Yankees as to which you think is the best place to study.

I'd like to be studying something along the lines of religion, ethics, anthropology etc.

Take note that I didn't really attend high school so I have very low qualifications... Though I do have a large number of them. I am currently studying Classical Civilizations. Therefore I don't have the grades for a top end university (though the one I'm at now is in the Russel Group, which are the top 24 in Britain).

Thanks a lot for yer timeeeeeeeeee

(hope this was the right place to put this!)

Liberty University
Regent University
^^^^^Mental State

Oh wait, you want real schools, not degree mills. Nothing to see here, moving on.

I was soo close to posting a recommendation to go to Patriot, but I couldn't bring myself to do it...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-11-2014, 07:21 AM
(18-11-2014 06:50 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 06:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You could consider studying in Germany or even other European countries and get free tuition.

I've already debated that with myself, Germany would be amazing. As would Finland. The language barrier puts me off however, and, I've always wanted to experience the friendliness of North America.

If you can get over the language barrier then it means you can escape Britain. Or at least hop economic cycles. When one country is having a down turn you move to another country to find work. When they are in an economic recession you return back to Britain.

Learning a language is hard but some universities will have courses in English. Berlin university comes to mind.
18-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Perhaps a better start might be to know what sort of program you wish to pursue? That would make it much easier to look for possible schools within the part of the world you choose. Being somewhere you will enjoy living and working is important, but surely the content of your courses is paramount?

Canadian universities levy a lot of extra fees on international students. American universities even more so.

... this is my signature!
18-11-2014, 09:17 AM
(18-11-2014 09:06 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps a better start might be to know what sort of program you wish to pursue? That would make it much easier to look for possible schools within the part of the world you choose. Being somewhere you will enjoy living and working is important, but surely the content of your courses is paramount?

Canadian universities levy a lot of extra fees on international students. American universities even more so.

Well some course names are different even though the content be the same so I'm being vague around the course title but I know what aspect I want to be in.. Yeah spent all day having a look around and I'm starting to close in on Northern Ireland or Germany hahaha what a fricking difference.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
18-11-2014, 12:32 PM
If you want to see the USA, choose a university in the middle of the country. A centrally located one might provide more variety and the economy will be fairly depressed (lower tuition fees) so, it might be easier to travel & sightsee while getting a good education.

Hertz is a cheap reliable car rental which might satisfy the necessity of a car. The middle of the US is big -very big and spread out. A bike is a good idea, also.

KU & K State are fair sized but cheaper than many universities. KU is closer to Kansas City - more opportunity to network & see the rest of the country.

And I know all the best places to eat in Lawrence, where KU is located. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-11-2014, 01:13 PM
(18-11-2014 05:44 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  So, I was thinking about applying for university in the US but I'd like the opinion of some of you god damn Yankees as to which you think is the best place to study.

I'd like to be studying something along the lines of religion, ethics, anthropology etc.

Take note that I didn't really attend high school so I have very low qualifications... Though I do have a large number of them. I am currently studying Classical Civilizations. Therefore I don't have the grades for a top end university (though the one I'm at now is in the Russel Group, which are the top 24 in Britain).

Thanks a lot for yer timeeeeeeeeee

(hope this was the right place to put this!)

I would suggest figuring out what you want to study then narrow it down based on school that are good in that subject. Often in the US a university will excel in a couple of areas, but be less than adequate in others. The university I went to was and still is excellent in Engineering, Education and Nursing. Everything else was average at best.

Not all of us are Yankees, I'm Cajun.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
18-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Re: RE: Best place to study in the US
(18-11-2014 06:05 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 06:02 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  My father would love it too he has some kind of fetish for Canada!

Can you blame him?

[Image: miss-canada.jpg]
As a Canadian, I approve this! And, Sunny, Prince Philip loves Canada, too. Your dad is in good company!
18-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Re: RE: Best place to study in the US
(18-11-2014 06:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  When you say anthropology, I start thinking of schools like NYU, University of Chicago, Duke, and Boston.

I'd say Duke, but I'm partial to the southeast - gorgeous campus and much better weather than Chicago.
I'm also a partial to UNC. I love just outside the Triangle, so I'm close to NCSU ("State"), Duke, and UNC ("Carolina").
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post