Best points to plant the seed of doubt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 07:30 AM
RE: Best points to plant the seed of doubt
(17-02-2015 06:51 AM)microterf Wrote:  I'm curious to see what everyone's top point is that seems to actually get Christians thinking and doubting their beliefs.

LSD and PCP mickeys. God be damned, hallucinogens and disassociatives make you doubt your own existence.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2017, 07:30 AM
I've never tried to de-convert anybody, and wouldn't enjoy the task of arguing with anybody, but all I tell a person is to ask "why" a bit more.

So much stuff in the bible doesn't make sense, and it only gets so far on face value alone. "And Noah filled the ark with ALL THE ANIMALS ON THE EARTH", No...no he didn't. It'd be hard to do that now, let alone whenever it was supposed to have happened.

My daughter currently says she believes in god, and when she's older I'll ask her to think about it a bit more. I'd never tell her she's wrong, but I'll ask her to really think about what she's being told.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
06-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Living in the heart of the bible belt beast, I find it amusing to use the Bible against those who thump their Bible at me. Jesus tells us to sell all we have and give to the poor. The verses promising big miracle working abilities nobody has or has ever had. Paul's bizarre theology. God who hardens hearts. (Romans 11) God who arbitrarily makes some people elect, some reprobate and damned. But God is totally good, you see! God the potter who makes some vessels good and some bad. To show his glory and great power. Sure.

This often takes those who have never really read the Bible by surprise. And puts the ball firmly in their court. God makes no sense, the bible makes no sense.

Why does Jesus speak in parables? To prevent people from being saved! Luke 8, Matthew 13. Does that make sense? Romans 11. Why did the Jews not believe in Jesus as messiah? Because God hardened their hearts not to! Why not harden their hearts to do so? Why not cause all men and women to do so? Does this make sense?

This does indeed help plant seeds of doubt in some minds. Or at least takes the fun right out of the Bible thumping game for this type.

And some, go all allegorical on me. "You can't take the Bible literally". Well then, nothing in the Bible seems to mean anything, does it? Its as meaningful as Dianetics then?

Bible jujitsu. On the internet, I may not change minds of the well wedged believer, but I am really aiming this at the lurkers who can be swayed by sweet reason.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
06-04-2017, 08:15 AM
(06-04-2017 07:22 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 08:35 AM)LiveAndLove Wrote:  Hey, my dear friends! I used to call myself an atheist like many of you may do, and so I understand where you come from! I would love to address some of these points in love and honesty. Whatever it may do, I wish you all the best <3

1. Indeed, prayer does not change the rate of events happening. God always knew what we would pray about, and our prayer itself changes nothing in this sense, wether we say it in our hearts or through words. It is through His good will it happens. I believe He shows us that it is good and OK for us to come and ask our heavenly Father for what it may be that we wish for and that it will be granted to us, not because of our good words, but because He is good and loves us. I also believe this helps strenghten our relationship to Him, and draw us closer to Him in faith and love <3

2. I think I understand what you mean <3
The ten commandments were given to Israel to lead them in the right direction. I believe it was what they needed at the time. God didn't intend it to be necessary for them but He makes the best out of bad situations. Behind the ten commandments, also known as the law, is love. For love does not hurt anyone, and has no ill will towards ones neighbour. No one will cheat, lie, steal, rape, kill or do any evil to someone they love. Though not everything is written in the ten commandments, we can understand what it is truly about, even by itself as a whole. Even so, Jesus said that the ten commandments can be summed up in two commandments: Love God with all your heart, all your soul and all your strength and love your neighbour as yourself. The first 4 commandment tells of our relationship to God, and the 6 others of our relationship to our neighbours. As we read in the New Testament, we are no longer under the law, after Jesus died for us and rose again, defeating death. The law is now written in our hearts. We all know right from wrong, because God has poured His spirit upon us. We all know of His nature, for His Spirit does not witness against itself. We know OF Him, but we can also KNOW Him if we seek Him! The Bible tells us that: "God is love". The Bible also tells us: "There is no greater law than love, for the law was written by love".

3. Jesus said: "Seek, and you shall find." God never encourages a blind faith on which nothing lies upon. In fact, the absolute contrary. God provides all that we need to believe wholeheartedly in the Truth of His word. Why search for false gods we create in our image, rather than seeking Him who is the Way, the Truth and the Life and who created us in His image? He lets Himself be known to all who searches Him with their whole heart. I personally experienced this, and it is a gift God wants everyone to enjoy! If you have this wish in your heart, but struggle with doubts and other things, don't worry <3 It will be granted to you if it is what you want. <3

With love
- A child of Jesus <3

> And how is any of that unwarranted proselytizing going to plant the seeds of doubt in atheists' minds?

Just another drive-by witnessing so she* can put another notch in her Jesus belt.

* I'm guessing it's a she based on the cutesy hearts all through the text; I'll bet she uses little hearts to dot the letter 'i' in anything she writes. The sweet is enough to send anybody into diabetic shock.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-04-2017, 08:41 AM
(06-04-2017 08:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 07:22 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > And how is any of that unwarranted proselytizing going to plant the seeds of doubt in atheists' minds?

Just another drive-by witnessing so she* can put another notch in her Jesus belt.

* I'm guessing it's a she based on the cutesy hearts all through the text; I'll bet she uses little hearts to dot the letter 'i' in anything she writes. The sweet is enough to send anybody into diabetic shock.

Oh, unfogged, I think you might be right....yes, I think the poster was a "she". HeartHeartHeartHeartKissKissKiss

Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post