Best theory of consciousness?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: Best theory of consciousness?
Thomas Nagel’s famous “what it is like” sense (Nagel 1974) explains it best imho.

What can be learned from abnormal psychology should help us understand normal consciousness. The fact that drugs that alter consciousness can totally change behavior, personality, morals, and character also assists one in discovering normal and abnormal consciousness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 02:44 PM
(02-08-2014 10:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-08-2014 09:58 AM)avalon Wrote:  I don't judge a man's ideas by what he does to make a living. As I recall, science got some pretty good ideas from a patent clerk.

He was a patent clerk while he was working on his PhD in Physics, and had already been published in the prestigious Annalen der Physik.

Please point me to the real estate developer's peer reviewed articles.

Then feel free to ignore that website and just read Giulio Tononi.
02-08-2014, 10:51 PM
(02-08-2014 10:30 AM)avalon Wrote:  Some scientists theorize that physics alone can explain consciousness and look to quantum physics. I think this is wrong.

That would be quantum woo such as the Orch-OR model of consciousness or Robert Lanza's Biocentrism. Don't go there. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes bobsyeruncle's post
03-08-2014, 07:23 AM
(02-08-2014 10:30 AM)avalon Wrote:  
Quote:I wouldn't define something as a theory of consciousness.. Just scientific ideas on how/why consciousness works as it does.
Some scientists theorize that physics alone can explain consciousness and look to quantum physics. I think this is wrong. A better theory is one like Giulio Tononis'(psychiatrist and neuroscientist) :
"The integrated information theory (IIT) starts from phenomenology and makes use of thought experiments to claim that consciousness is integrated information. Specifically: (i) the quantity of consciousness corresponds to the amount of integrated information generated by a complex of elements; (ii) the quality of experience is specified by the set of informational relationships generated within that complex." (http://www.biolbull.org/content/215/3/216.full)

You'll note he addresses two intangible, non-physical things to explain consciousness: information and informational relationships. These have a physical basis because they're stored in the brain, but the things themselves are not physical. So physics alone cannot fully explain them.

Well, yes and no. A full physical description of a brain state would allow the duplication of that brain state indistinguishable from the original. The thoughts, ideas, and interactions all have a physical description. So, yes, it is fully describable at that level.

But that description is not an explanation. Explanations involve descriptions at higher levels - descriptions of the emergent properties at those levels.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2015, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2015 11:56 AM by GirlyMan.)
Was trying to decide which thread to necro post this. This seems as good as any. It's most relevant to the topics here and it takes Chas' valid complaint above seriously. It's worth a read.

Consciousness and the Social Brain

More detail on the Attention Schema Theory.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Watch David Eagleman's new series on PBS called "The Brain". Consciousness is an emergent property of sensory input, referenced to stored memory, and reassembled into meaning bits. What we experience as "now" is actually a few nano/micro seconds old. Consciousness is no big mystery any more to Neuro-science.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...i-excerpt/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-11-2015, 04:47 PM
(21-11-2015 12:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Watch David Eagleman's new series on PBS called "The Brain". Consciousness is an emergent property of sensory input, referenced to stored memory, and reassembled into meaning bits. What we experience as "now" is actually a few nano/micro seconds old. Consciousness is no big mystery any more to Neuro-science.

That is consistent with Daniel Dennett's Consciousness Explained.

While Dennet doesn't actually explain consciousness, he provides novel ways to approach it, much like Eagleman's views.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2015, 11:24 PM
(21-11-2015 04:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 12:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Watch David Eagleman's new series on PBS called "The Brain". Consciousness is an emergent property of sensory input, referenced to stored memory, and reassembled into meaning bits. What we experience as "now" is actually a few nano/micro seconds old. Consciousness is no big mystery any more to Neuro-science.

That is consistent with Daniel Dennett's Consciousness Explained.

While Dennet doesn't actually explain consciousness, he provides novel ways to approach it, much like Eagleman's views.

And it fits with what Jeff Hawkins has been saying too.