Poll: Best xmas film
It's a wonderful life
Die hard
[Show Results]

Best xmas film

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 02:34 PM by Shai Hulud.)
RE: Best xmas film
Of the two choices, It's A Wonderful Life, but that could be the indoctrination from going to grad school in the town where the star was born. Not that the town's a tad nutty, but they have:
  • Jimmy Stewart Blvd.
  • Jimmy Stewart regional airport
  • Jimmy Stewart memorabilia in all the bars
  • the Jimmy Stewart Museum (I only went there once, on a date. You can get into the gift shop admission free apparently, though we paid for the full lackluster experience. On Saturdays, it shows one of his movies.)
  • Jimmy Stewart impersonator walk signals
  • Jimmy Stewart plaques at the university (he attended school there when younger before it was a university)
  • a Jimmy Stewart bronze statue on the courthouse steps
  • and a Jimmy Stewart impersonator at the end of the Christmas parade that runs through town wanting to live again.

I'm only half-facetious in suggestion there may be an altar hidden away, where they sacrifice people to Jimmy Stewart.

On my own, Elf or the cartoon version of the Grinch.

Edit: Edited because all the Jimmy ran together and was hard to read, so I bulleted it. Seriously though, I went down Jimmy Stewart Blvd and past Jimmy Stewart Airport every time I went to the jail for research or volunteer purposes (and down the Blvd. on the way to the prison). One of my courses was in a building where Jimmy Stewart went to school. I watched a drunk kid try to put a beer in the Jimmy Stewart bronze statue's hand once during Homecoming, when I was out people watching. I heard the walk signals all the time. I sat under a painting of Harvey (an invisible giant bunny in one of Jimmy's films) at my favorite table at the bar where the Catholic Student Association always went for theology discussions and birthday parties.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
04-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Since I'm an old movie buff, there's an obscure Christmas movie from the 1955 called We're No Angels. (Not the fucked up 1989 remake) It's hyper-super-duper romanticised in that 1950s style but it's got some fun dialogue and it's Humphrey Bogart's only comedy. It's probably too slow for today's audiences but the quirky characters are interesting and it makes the movie watchable. All three men are escaped prisoners and there are a couple dead bodies that turn up. And then there's Adolf the Snake. Peter Ustinov is delightfully droll and has some of the best lines and Bogart shows that he's very comfortable doing comedy.

Geez, I sound like a movie reviewer from some dumb local newspaper.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
04-11-2016, 03:11 PM
(04-11-2016 09:09 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 08:48 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Christmas Vacation is my holiday must watch. All the others are just background noise.

I don't think of Die Hard as a Christmas film. I don't even remember Christmas being mentioned at all in the film, and it's certainly not about Christmas.

Among movies that are about Christmas, the only one I can stand to watch is A Christmas Story (the one with little Ralphie and his BB gun), and I've seen that one enough times that I would probably pass on seeing it again.

My general feelings about Christmas are "Bah, humbug." I can't wait until it's over -- and it's not even Christmas season yet.

You forgot the teddy bear. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user