Better Late Than Never

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2014, 06:08 PM
RE: Better Late Than Never
(28-09-2014 05:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How do people even play the 360 any more?
It's like stepping back in time and going from something like Skyrim to.. Pong.

No. No it is not.

It's like staying in the same place and going from something like Skyrim to... Skyrim.

If you were talking about people still playing games on the Commodore 64, I might be more inclined to agree.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2014, 12:51 AM

Hey now, I remember actually having an Atari 2600...

And a Sega Master System...

And an NES...

And a Sega Genesis...

And a N64...

And a Gamecube...

And an Xbox...

Going back to a Xbox 360 is a far cry from Pong. I've actually played one of the old Bushnell developed TV Pong machines. It is a far from a 360, even if the 360 isn't all that far from an Xbox One.

Incidentally, Skyrim came out on the 360, so there is that...

Also, for reference, here is a comparison of Xbox 360 GPU, an Xbox One GPU, and the desktop GPU that I'm going to SLI (running two identical cards) in my new computer.

Xbox 360

Graphics Processor
GPU Name: Xenos (ATI)
Process Size: 90 nm
Transistors: 232 million
Die Size: 182 mm²

Board Design
Slot Width: IGP (integrated graphics processor)
TDP: unknown

Graphics Features
DirectX: 9.0c
OpenGL: None
OpenCL: None
Shader Model: 3.0

Clock Speeds
GPU Clock: 500 MHz
Memory Clock: 700 MHz - 1400 MHz effective

Render Config
Shading Units: 240
TMUs: 16
ROPs: 8
Compute Units: 3
Pixel Rate: 4.00 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 8.00 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 240.0 GFLOPS

Memory
Memory Size: 512 MB
Memory Type: GDDR3
Memory Bus: 128 bit
Bandwidth: 22.4 GB/s

Xbox One

Graphics Processor
GPU Name: Durango (AMD)
Process Size: 28 nm
Transistors: 5,000 million
Die Size: 363 mm²

Board Design
Bus Interface: IGP (integrated graphics processor)
TDP: 95 Watts

Graphics Features
DirectX: 11.2
OpenCL: 1.2
Shader Model: 5.0

Clock Speeds
GPU Clock: 853 MHz
Memory Clock: 1066 MHz - 2132 MHz effective

Render Config
Shading Units: 768
TMUs: 48
ROPs: 16
SMM Count: 13
Pixel Rate: 13.6 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 40.9 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 1,310 GFLOPS

Memory
Memory Size: 8192 MB*
Memory Type: DDR3
Memory Bus: 256 bit
Bandwidth: 68.2 GB/s

*(Remember, this is shared system memory, the total for the whole system is 8GB. The Xbox One has no dedicated VRAM.)

EVGA GTX970

Graphics Processor
GPU Name: GM204 (nVidia)
GPU Variant: GM204-200-A1
Transistors: 5,200 million
Die Size: 398 mm²

Board Design
Bus Interface: PCIe 3.0 x16
TDP: 148 Watts

Graphics Features
DirectX: 12.0
OpenGL: 4.5

Clock Speeds
GPU Clock: 1050 MHz
Boost Clock: 1178 MHz
Memory Clock: 1753 MHz - 7012 MHz effective

Render Config
Shading Units: 1664
TMUs: 104
ROPs: 64
Pixel Rate: 67.2 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 109 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 3,494 GFLOPS

Memory
Memory Size: 4096 MB*
Memory Type: GDDR5
Bandwidth: 224 GB/s

*(This is 4GB of dedicated VRAM, and is entirely separate from the rest of a desktop's system memory; it is also a much faster GDDR5 over DDR3. 8GB of system RAM is typical for current mid-range gaming PC's.)

[/INSERT "going from PC to Xbox One is like..." REFERENCE JOKE HERE]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-09-2014, 12:59 AM
(29-09-2014 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  EVGA GTX970

Graphics Processor

Board Design

Graphics Features

Clock Speeds

Render Config

Memory

*(This is 4GB of dedicated VRAM, and is entirely separate from the rest of a desktop's system memory; it is also a much faster GDDR5 over DDR3. 8GB of system RAM is typical for current mid-range gaming PC's.)

Meanwhile, with the Large Pixel Collider...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-09-2014, 02:58 AM
(29-09-2014 12:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Meanwhile, with the Large Pixel Collider...
You mean Digital Storm's Aventum II computer? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-09-2014, 09:06 PM
(29-09-2014 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Hey now, I remember actually having an Atari 2600...

And a Sega Master System...

And an NES...

And a Sega Genesis...

And a N64...

And a Gamecube...

And an Xbox...

Going back to a Xbox 360 is a far cry from Pong. I've actually played one of the old Bushnell developed TV Pong machines. It is a far from a 360, even if the 360 isn't all that far from an Xbox One.

Incidentally, Skyrim came out on the 360, so there is that...

Also, for reference, here is a comparison of Xbox 360 GPU, an Xbox One GPU, and the desktop GPU that I'm going to SLI (running two identical cards) in my new computer.

Xbox 360

Graphics Processor
GPU Name: Xenos (ATI)
Process Size: 90 nm
Transistors: 232 million
Die Size: 182 mm²

Board Design
Slot Width: IGP (integrated graphics processor)
TDP: unknown

Graphics Features
DirectX: 9.0c
OpenCL: None
Shader Model: 3.0

Clock Speeds
GPU Clock: 500 MHz
Memory Clock: 700 MHz - 1400 MHz effective

Render Config
Shading Units: 240
TMUs: 16
ROPs: 8
Compute Units: 3
Pixel Rate: 4.00 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 8.00 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 240.0 GFLOPS

Memory
Memory Size: 512 MB
Memory Type: GDDR3
Memory Bus: 128 bit
Bandwidth: 22.4 GB/s

Xbox One

Graphics Processor
GPU Name: Durango (AMD)
Transistors: 5,000 million
Die Size: 363 mm²

Board Design
Bus Interface: IGP (integrated graphics processor)
TDP: 95 Watts

Graphics Features
DirectX: 11.2

Clock Speeds
GPU Clock: 853 MHz
Memory Clock: 1066 MHz - 2132 MHz effective

Render Config
Shading Units: 768
TMUs: 48
ROPs: 16
Pixel Rate: 13.6 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 40.9 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 1,310 GFLOPS

Memory
Memory Size: 8192 MB*
Memory Type: DDR3
Bandwidth: 68.2 GB/s

*(Remember, this is shared system memory, the total for the whole system is 8GB. The Xbox One has no dedicated VRAM.)

EVGA GTX970

Graphics Processor

Board Design

Graphics Features

Clock Speeds

Render Config

Memory

Have you actually compared two games on the 360 and xboner?
Like TV next to TV?
It's disgusting how bad 360 looks.
The exact same game on the 360 looks far more chewed up and spat out and the lighting is horrid.

360 developers have had years and years to develop for the 360 and get every last bit of juice out of the system to make their games look better, yet xboner launch titles look better then the best graphically beautiful 360 game...

Imagine 2-3 years from now and 360 games will look like text based rpg's.
29-09-2014, 09:41 PM
(29-09-2014 09:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Imagine 2-3 years from now and 360 games will look like text based rpg's.

Yes, because in 2-3 years, 360's will lose their capacity to render anything but text and all the games will suddenly become Zork. Dodgy

29-09-2014, 10:23 PM
(29-09-2014 09:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(29-09-2014 09:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Imagine 2-3 years from now and 360 games will look like text based rpg's.

Yes, because in 2-3 years, 360's will lose their capacity to render anything but text and all the games will suddenly become Zork. Dodgy

Exactly, see Free Thought gets it.
29-09-2014, 10:46 PM
(27-09-2014 04:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 04:13 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'm usually the one to show up late to the party, but that's ok, because the party doesn't really start until I'm there. Thumbsup

I finally caved and got myself an Xbox. No drinking and being home-ridden with medical issues has given me a lot of free time and a friend of mine was selling hers for $60, so I went for it. I finally got my hands on all the new games that I heard about but never figured I'd get around to playing. Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, a few Call Of Duty games, etc. It's been pretty good times.

I'm currently trying to beat Far Cry 3, and while my first love is shooters, it made me realize that I really like the whole stealth aspect as well. Having to figure out a way to sneak around a big place and off a few bad guys without getting caught is strangely satisfying. As soon as I've finished Far Cry, I'm gonna head out and get my hands on some Assassin's Creed to get my stealth fix. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Note: I prefer open-world, sandbox type stuff, but am open to pretty much anything.

Skyrim

FUCK SKYRIM! Skyrim is a shit game compared to the god tier game Oblivion. Way better game engine, far more powerful rpg elements. Acrobatics and enchanting weapons is actually a plausable thing to do in the game without forking over 900+ hours to get Enchanting to level 100 which doesn't exist in Oblivion because you can enchant 100% efficient all the time every time with as many effects as you can pay for.

The dark brother hood missions are a tremendous amount of more fun.
The mansion mission where you secretly kill one person off one by one and befriending everyone and listening to their comments and opinions on each other as they increasingly become more and more paranoid of who the killer is and compeltely convinced its NOT YOU LULZ!

Shivering Isles - Nough Said. Dodgy

On top of all of that, The game has a much stronger fantasy feel to it. The maps and the game menu do not make you think your in a sci-fi game like Deus Ex and its just a lot more fun and engaging to play. Since you have CLASSES, There is an actual reason to play more then one time all the way through.

Give me one single reason why I should play more then one character in Skyrim? Oh what? Race? pfft! Big deal mang! Everyone can do everything regardles. Since I have no class and I am not bound to a set skill list prohibiting what I can and cannot do. It forces me to make other characters that can do other things my previous character did not.

Its what made making an actual MAGE and doing the MAGES quest more fun. Making a stealth character forced you to only use those skills and using non class skills put you at a severe disadvantage. You couldn't just play whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, because you wanted and have it show zero consequences. Skyrim is not even an RPG. Its an first person Action game with "one or two" role playing elements.

Play Oblivion man and get all the content for it. Much better game.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-09-2014, 11:08 PM
(29-09-2014 10:46 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 04:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Skyrim

FUCK SKYRIM! Skyrim is a shit game compared to the god tier game Oblivion. Way better game engine, far more powerful rpg elements. Acrobatics and enchanting weapons is actually a plausable thing to do in the game without forking over 900+ hours to get Enchanting to level 100 which doesn't exist in Oblivion because you can enchant 100% efficient all the time every time with as many effects as you can pay for.

The dark brother hood missions are a tremendous amount of more fun.
The mansion mission where you secretly kill one person off one by one and befriending everyone and listening to their comments and opinions on each other as they increasingly become more and more paranoid of who the killer is and compeltely convinced its NOT YOU LULZ!

Shivering Isles - Nough Said. Dodgy

On top of all of that, The game has a much stronger fantasy feel to it. The maps and the game menu do not make you think your in a sci-fi game like Deus Ex and its just a lot more fun and engaging to play. Since you have CLASSES, There is an actual reason to play more then one time all the way through.

Give me one single reason why I should play more then one character in Skyrim? Oh what? Race? pfft! Big deal mang! Everyone can do everything regardles. Since I have no class and I am not bound to a set skill list prohibiting what I can and cannot do. It forces me to make other characters that can do other things my previous character did not.

Its what made making an actual MAGE and doing the MAGES quest more fun. Making a stealth character forced you to only use those skills and using non class skills put you at a severe disadvantage. You couldn't just play whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, because you wanted and have it show zero consequences. Skyrim is not even an RPG. Its an first person Action game with "one or two" role playing elements.

Play Oblivion man and get all the content for it. Much better game.

On the other hand: looks like shit.

... Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a Skyrim supporter ("an ocean with the depth of a puddle"), but somebody will inevitably bring up that aspect for comparison, may as well do it now.

29-09-2014, 11:39 PM
(29-09-2014 10:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(29-09-2014 09:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yes, because in 2-3 years, 360's will lose their capacity to render anything but text and all the games will suddenly become Zork. Dodgy

Exactly, see Free Thought gets it.

You say "all the games will suddenly become Zork" like that's a bad thing... Consider

[Image: zork-screen_5.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson