Better late than never? Alan Turing receives royal pardon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Better late than never? Alan Turing receives royal pardon
Alan Turing (1912-1954), the enigma codebreaker and father of computer science received a royal pardon yesterday for his criminal acts back in the days.
The gentleman maybe was a war hero and saved thousands if not millions of lives, but he was also ... *shiver* ... a homosexual.

For this he lost his security clearance, his job and his manliness as he was chemically castrated for his "heinous acts". he later committed suicide.

Alan, thank you for what you did to the world. I wish there were more people like you. This pardon won't change anything, it comes way too late, but let's hope it's a small step towards a better world. RIP

[Image: Alan_Turing_photo.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Thammuz's post
24-12-2013, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 02:50 PM by cufflink.)
RE: Better late than never? Alan Turing receives royal pardon
(24-12-2013 12:56 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  The gentleman maybe was a war hero and saved thousands if not millions of lives . . .

Fixt.

Thanks for this, Thammuz.

As you noted, Turing was not just a code-breaker. He is "widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence." (Wiki)

The standard biography, which is excellent, is by Andrew Hodges:

http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Turing-Enigma...069115564X

I met Hodges years ago. He's the real thing, a mathematician and physicist (did significant work on twistor theory with Roger Penrose) who's also a fine writer. And as a gay man himself, he brings special passion and empathy to his subject.

Alan Turing: The Enigma was made into a Broadway play, "Breaking the Code," and later a TV movie starring Derek Jacobi. And now it's being made into a theatrical film, "The Imitation Game," with Benedict Cumberbatch playing Turing.

Hodges's web site on Turing:

http://www.turing.org.uk/

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
25-12-2013, 02:12 PM
RE: Better late than never? Alan Turing receives royal pardon
I will never forgive the Brits for depriving us of another 50 years of this genius. The Turing machine and the Church-Turing thesis provide the foundation of modern computing. And the fucking British buggers killed him with estrogen for, well buggery. Their apology was not to Turing, but to the rest of us. And it's a half-century too late and a brilliance too little. Fucking Brits.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post