Poll: The torment of existence or the horror of non-being
Existence
Non-being
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Better to not have been?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
24-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Better to not have been?
Hello.

Now that you're here, do you prefer the torment of existence or the horror of non-being? Coming into existence at all gives chances to become one with everything (AKA God) but also the chance to die, confused and angry, with no insight. This thread assumes that an afterlife could exist, but does not matter.

What say you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: Better to not have been?
We are the lucky ones.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Give me non-existence or give me DEATH!

Tongue

[+] 13 users Like DLJ's post
24-10-2013, 08:39 PM
(24-10-2013 08:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Give me non-existence or give me DEATH!

Tongue

Good one!
24-10-2013, 09:29 PM
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Coming into existence at all gives chances to become one with everything (AKA God) but also the chance to die, confused and angry, with no insight.

So a Buddhist monk says to the hot dog vendor...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chippy's post
24-10-2013, 09:40 PM
What would non-beingness feel like? More specifically, what would non-beingness feel like TO WHOM?

Non-beingness means no being, no whom to feel what it would be like to not exist. In other words, in order to experience non-existence something would have to exist to have the experience, and since it requires existence to have experience it would of course not be an experience of non-beingness but an experience of beingness. Non-existence cannot be experienced, no matter how badly we might wish certain others would be forced to experience it Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
24-10-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't experience torment now, and didn't experience any horror at all as a non-being prior to my birth, so I can't answer either way. Why not compare the joy of existence to the peace of non-being?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
24-10-2013, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2013 06:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” -- Mark Twain

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 12 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Makes me think of:

"Gut ist der Schlaf,
der Tod ist besser - freilich
Das beste wäre, nie geboren sein."
-Heinrich Heine, "Morphine"

I disagree, though, I'd rather have lived than not.

If we're only talking about post-death, I'd day nonexistence, because I think an afterlife would get pretty boring after a few millenia or so.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
25-10-2013, 05:07 AM
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

Now that you're here, do you prefer the torment of existence or the horror of non-being? Coming into existence at all gives chances to become one with everything (AKA God) but also the chance to die, confused and angry, with no insight. This thread assumes that an afterlife could exist, but does not matter.

What say you?

I think that which has been asked of us here is a non-question, in a way.

I cannot say that I prefer the 'torment of existence' over the 'horror of non-being'. My current existence is no more full of torment than your average brick is filled with Condors. That is to say; it isn't, at least not in any significant sense.

As for the 'horror of non-being', I can merely say that I cannot speculate upon or for preference in such a regard. 'Non-being', I surmise, would be better put as 'not existing', to which I ask "Where is the horror in not existing?". If I stopped existing, or 'being' if you do so prefer; then by dint of my choice, I would not know it as I would not be! Without my existing to experience it, from whence comes the horror of it?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post