Poll: The torment of existence or the horror of non-being
Existence
Non-being
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Better to not have been?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
25-10-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: Better to not have been?
Everyone's answering so easily! I still have trouble reconciling my choice to live. To me its like asking whether I lose my arm or leg. Or, rather, which would you rather rip off yourself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 07:36 AM
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  horror of non-being

WTF is that? If you are not, you are not. Where is the horror? I don't remember any horror.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-10-2013, 07:40 AM
(25-10-2013 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  horror of non-being

WTF is that? If you are not, you are not. Where is the horror? I don't remember any horror.

I mean: it's horrific if you're a sapient being.
25-10-2013, 07:47 AM
(25-10-2013 07:40 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  WTF is that? If you are not, you are not. Where is the horror? I don't remember any horror.

I mean: it's horrific if you're a sapient being.

Huh? I still don't get the horror...

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-10-2013, 07:55 AM
(25-10-2013 07:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 07:40 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I mean: it's horrific if you're a sapient being.

Huh? I still don't get the horror...

I think what he is trying to say is that it is a scary thought for those that exist.

I have a friend that is rather obnoxiously pushing this type of argument around, asserting that it would be better for none of us to have existed in the first place.

Quite frankly, I think the two states of being are incomparable to one another. Any descriptions of conditions would only hold meaning for one of the groups: the living. To say "I am better off to be non-existant" seems to become a meaningless statement since there is no longer a "you" in which the condition is relevant to.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
25-10-2013, 08:37 AM
(25-10-2013 07:55 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 07:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Huh? I still don't get the horror...

I think what he is trying to say is that it is a scary thought for those that exist.

I have a friend that is rather obnoxiously pushing this type of argument around, asserting that it would be better for none of us to have existed in the first place.

Quite frankly, I think the two states of being are incomparable to one another. Any descriptions of conditions would only hold meaning for one of the groups: the living. To say "I am better off to be non-existant" seems to become a meaningless statement since there is no longer a "you" in which the condition is relevant to.

I enjoy life, so I am happy to be here.

If I was in any number of other circumstances I might not feel the same.

Not being doesn't scare me the least bit, a good deep sleep is a good thing IMO.

Non existence doesn't matter.

25-10-2013, 08:37 AM
(25-10-2013 07:55 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 07:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Huh? I still don't get the horror...

Music to my ears, man, well said. Take a like!
25-10-2013, 08:39 AM
(25-10-2013 08:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 07:55 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I think what he is trying to say is that it is a scary thought for those that exist.

I enjoy life, so I am happy to be here.

Not being doesn't scare me the least bit, a good deep sleep is a good thing IMO.

Eternal nothingness! FOREVER! Can you even begin to comprehend what that would be like? Cessation of existence! Nothing! It don't get more horrific 'den 'dat!
25-10-2013, 09:02 AM
(25-10-2013 08:39 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ...
Eternal nothingness! FOREVER! Can you even begin to comprehend what that would be like? Cessation of existence! Nothing! It don't get more horrific 'den 'dat!

Yet this nothingness means exactly that... not anything... not even awareness.

Compared to...

... the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered Country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns...

No brainer.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
25-10-2013, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2013 09:08 AM by Chas.)
(25-10-2013 08:39 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 08:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  I enjoy life, so I am happy to be here.

That is precisely what is in your future. Get over it.

"You better get it while you can,
You better get it while you can.
If you wait too long, it'll all be gone
And you'll be sorry then.
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor,
It's the same for a woman or a man.
From the cradle to the crypt
It's a mighty short trip,
So you better get it while you can."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user