Poll: The torment of existence or the horror of non-being
Existence
Non-being
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Better to not have been?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
25-10-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: Better to not have been?
(25-10-2013 08:39 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 08:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  I enjoy life, so I am happy to be here.

If I was in any number of other circumstances I might not feel the same.

Not being doesn't scare me the least bit, a good deep sleep is a good thing IMO.

Non existence doesn't matter.

Eternal nothingness! FOREVER! Can you even begin to comprehend what that would be like? Cessation of existence! Nothing! It don't get more horrific 'den 'dat!

Nothing scary about it! When you are deep asleep, there is nothing also. Feels good to me.

Before I was born there was nothing. Didn't bother me then.

When my body or my mind give out, I plan to go back to nothing asap.

You seem to think that you will have your brain along into the nothing. But there is nothing, you don't get to have your brain, so you will not have a need for stimuli.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 09:39 AM
(25-10-2013 08:39 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 08:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  I enjoy life, so I am happy to be here.

If I was in any number of other circumstances I might not feel the same.

Not being doesn't scare me the least bit, a good deep sleep is a good thing IMO.

Non existence doesn't matter.

Eternal nothingness! FOREVER! Can you even begin to comprehend what that would be like? Cessation of existence! Nothing! It don't get more horrific 'den 'dat!

It sort of is, but it sort of isn't, too. As a conscious being, I only have experience of existing and can't truly imagine the cessation of my own existence. It is the goal of my conscious to exist for as long as it can, and the thought of prematurely fizzing out frightens it. At the same time though, I understand that it doesn't matter once it happens, nothing matters once one no longer exists. No pain, no misery, no joy, no jealousy, no thoughts, no fears, no me. My state of being will simply return to that in which it was before I came to be.

Being conscious in a state of nothingness (conscious, but literally nothing happening or existing other than my consciousness) is a much more worrisome condition.

[Image: giphy.gif]
25-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Existence and non-existence are incomparable. You can compare existences and say one option is better than another, but non-existence is something you by definition cannot experience, because it is an absence of you. It's not good or bad, it's the option to not play the game at all. I don't see how not existing can be scary, because if you don't exist you aren't there to be scared about it.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 5 users Like Elesjei's post
25-10-2013, 01:26 PM
(25-10-2013 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 08:39 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Eternal nothingness! FOREVER! Can you even begin to comprehend what that would be like? Cessation of existence! Nothing! It don't get more horrific 'den 'dat!

That is precisely what is in your future. Get over it.

"You better get it while you can,
You better get it while you can.
If you wait too long, it'll all be gone
And you'll be sorry then.
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor,
It's the same for a woman or a man.
From the cradle to the crypt
It's a mighty short trip,
So you better get it while you can."

How do you know, smartypants (save it for the Q&A on second thought) Cool
25-10-2013, 01:27 PM
(25-10-2013 09:39 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 08:39 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Eternal nothingness! FOREVER! Can you even begin to comprehend what that would be like? Cessation of existence! Nothing! It don't get more horrific 'den 'dat!

It sort of is, but it sort of isn't, too. As a conscious being, I only have experience of existing and can't truly imagine the cessation of my own existence. It is the goal of my conscious to exist for as long as it can, and the thought of prematurely fizzing out frightens it. At the same time though, I understand that it doesn't matter once it happens, nothing matters once one no longer exists. No pain, no misery, no joy, no jealousy, no thoughts, no fears, no me. My state of being will simply return to that in which it was before I came to be.

Being conscious in a state of nothingness (conscious, but literally nothing happening or existing other than my consciousness) is a much more worrisome condition.

A sort of ego death, but not only loosing your ego you loose your consciousness. I see what you say.
25-10-2013, 04:14 PM
There is no fear in nonexistence; there is nothing and therefore, nothing to fear.
One simply is not.

There there should be no fear for you in the cessation of existence, TTTheist. According to what I am to gather of your philosophy, would you not just go into whatever you believe is out there? Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
25-10-2013, 04:49 PM
(25-10-2013 04:14 PM)kim Wrote:  There is no fear in nonexistence; there is nothing and therefore, nothing to fear.
One simply is not.

There there should be no fear for you in the cessation of existence, TTTheist. According to what I am to gather of your philosophy, would you not just go into whatever you believe is out there? Shy

Yarp!

I like the idea of an afterlife though. Equally I like the Buddhist Parinirvana, the final state of supreme oneness with everything and pure bliss. Also known as "Yep I spent my whole life under a tree, I'm happy now, so now no fucks will be given about your Earthly troubles and yet I still have a perfect conscious and this is a runon sentence so it's time to mediate" Big Grin
25-10-2013, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2013 06:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-10-2013 07:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

Now that you're here, do you prefer the torment of existence or the horror of non-being? ... What say you?

Yes please.

(25-10-2013 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  "You better get it while you can,
You better get it while you can.
If you wait too long, it'll all be gone
And you'll be sorry then.
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor,
It's the same for a woman or a man.
From the cradle to the crypt
It's a mighty short trip,
So you better get it while you can."

And a bonus one for Chas. Big Grin

I have forgiven 51 unprovoked insults Heywood Jahblome has directed at forum members.
25-10-2013, 11:43 PM
(25-10-2013 04:49 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I like the idea of an afterlife though.

Well, it's not like looking toward a conscious future. You'll be dead - it probably won't be that fun. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-10-2013, 05:47 AM
(25-10-2013 04:49 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 04:14 PM)kim Wrote:  There is no fear in nonexistence; there is nothing and therefore, nothing to fear.
One simply is not.

Yarp!

I like the idea of an afterlife though. Equally I like the Buddhist Parinirvana, the final state of supreme oneness with everything and pure bliss. Also known as "Yep I spent my whole life under a tree, I'm happy now, so now no fucks will be given about your Earthly troubles and yet I still have a perfect conscious and this is a runon sentence so it's time to mediate" Big Grin

Liking the idea adds nothing to its truth value.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post