Poll: The torment of existence or the horror of non-being
Existence
Non-being
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Better to not have been?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-11-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: Better to not have been?
(01-11-2013 01:54 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Your knowledge is an illusion. In your meditations have you ever had the realisation that you are full of shit. That would be a profound and genuine insght.
Oh, but I did! I had the most profound realization that I am full of shit, but in something in personal life. None of your business, but I had to deal with it and I still do. It takes lots of time and effort. I can't tell I am full of shit in the sense you would like, factually scientific, it doesn't work like that. Nonetheless, I recommend it. It's a very unpleasant process, that's why I recommend it to you.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
(01-11-2013 02:28 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 01:54 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Your knowledge is an illusion. In your meditations have you ever had the realisation that you are full of shit. That would be a profound and genuine insght.
Oh, but I did! I had the most profound realization that I am full of shit, but in something in personal life. None of your business, but I had to deal with it and I still do. It takes lots of time and effort. I can't tell I am full of shit in the sense you would like, factually scientific, it doesn't work like that. Nonetheless, I recommend it. It's a very unpleasant process, that's why I recommend it to you.

Hey, meditation his how I found le Gode.

Whatever dude, you're very smart!

I have to give you that, even if I don't always agree with you.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Non-being will happen someday - half the fun isn't knowing. Considering non-being to me doesn't include torment makes it a plus. Torment of existence in the way I see it isn't applicable to myself at this very moment. Sounds like a stupid slogan of "handi-capable" is coming around the bend...

Torture has been philosophized to death, then brought back to life and then killed again.

The question I have once posed that probably is the most disturbing I've ever come up with: how many of these tortures are really just inside ones own head, the product of ones own mind?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
(01-11-2013 04:55 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Non-being will happen someday - half the fun isn't knowing. Considering non-being to me doesn't include torment makes it a plus. Torment of existence in the way I see it isn't applicable to myself at this very moment. Sounds like a stupid slogan of "handi-capable" is coming around the bend...

Torture has been philosophized to death, then brought back to life and then killed again.

The question I have once posed that probably is the most disturbing I've ever come up with: how many of these tortures are really just inside ones own head, the product of ones own mind?

I think you'd like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unanswered_questions

Actually read it, (unlike I do whenever someone gives me a link Cool )
[+] 2 users Like The_Thinking_Theist's post
02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
(01-11-2013 01:29 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 12:28 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  Again Chippy - what's with the vitriol? Why do you hold people in such contempt?

The correct form of the question is:

Why do you hold some people in such contempt?

And the answer to that is because they deserve to be held in contempt and I have bags of contempt to share.

I genuinely would like to understand -

1) why do they deserve it? (I thought your contempt was more generalized - but you qualified it by saying some people - who are the people?)
2) Where do you suppose these bags of contempt come from?

I'm not baiting or anything here, I would genuinely like to understand your thinking.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
(01-11-2013 05:58 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I think you'd like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unanswered_questions

"Unwise reflection". I like it, I like it a lot. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
03-11-2013, 12:10 PM
(01-11-2013 04:46 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey, meditation his how I found le Gode.

Tongue
Thanks! Double for the disagreement, it's the spice of the online life. That's how I imagine hell, a place where everyone agree with me.

Would you care to tell me more about how you found the god in meditation? It might be the same thing I found in there, but there was nothing Christian or organized religious about it, so it's hard to tell.
Anyway, does that mean your belief was replaced by experience?

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
(03-11-2013 12:10 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 04:46 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey, meditation his how I found le Gode.

Tongue
Thanks! Double for the disagreement, it's the spice of the online life. That's how I imagine hell, a place where everyone agree with me.

Would you care to tell me more about how you found the god in meditation? It might be the same thing I found in there, but there was nothing Christian or organized religious about it, so it's hard to tell.
Anyway, does that mean your belief was replaced by experience?

Well, I never stopped believing in God after I decided to friendly-ly part ways with Catholicism. (I said 'Le Gode' just for fun, I just call him God). But with a non-sectarian prayer technique of clearing the mind, I actually could start witnessing him. Before it was all faith and no fact. Now I had fact/experience to back up and reinvigorate my faith. So, I suppose I'm doing the right thing, though who knows, in several years I may end up going to Sunday Mass again (as a liberal Catholic), but really my goal as of my 'conversion' is enlightenment; the state of freedom of suffering, essentially the feeling of meditation without meditating. So I chose the existence option because I need time to explain the world, because it has some terrifying things and some beautiful things.
03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
[Image: tumblr_m4evt8Y81k1qj906to1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_m4evt8Y81k1qj906to2_500.gif]

/thread

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
(03-11-2013 02:59 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well, I never stopped believing in God after I decided to friendly-ly part ways with Catholicism. (I said 'Le Gode' just for fun, I just call him God). But with a non-sectarian prayer technique of clearing the mind, I actually could start witnessing him. Before it was all faith and no fact. Now I had fact/experience to back up and reinvigorate my faith. So, I suppose I'm doing the right thing, though who knows, in several years I may end up going to Sunday Mass again (as a liberal Catholic), but really my goal as of my 'conversion' is enlightenment; the state of freedom of suffering, essentially the feeling of meditation without meditating. So I chose the existence option because I need time to explain the world, because it has some terrifying things and some beautiful things.
You remind me of myself a lot. You come from different tradition, have a different skill set and you seem to be less technically minded, but I get the impression you're going through the same experiences.

If you look for release from suffering and permanent meditation, then you are probably still in the honeymoon phase of the relationship with God Wink

I don't know about release from suffering, but there might be less caring about suffering. Once you look into the mind of god as you would call it, you see there such treasures, such beauty and meaning, and also such dangers, that you can not not try to go and manifest some of it in the world, re-create the beauty or describe it, and avert the dangers, apply the perceived solutions... This is the true work I mean, work and joy and Self-expression are one. You may find out nothing ever belongs to you, no idea is really new and yours, yet you can receive everything, if you do the right kind of work, with the right kind of attitude...

The Venus Project